Gravity (2013)

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
You must not have gotten the memo. "It's ridiculous and would never happen" is a requirement for a Hollywood movie to get green-lighted nowadays.

Szlia

Well...

rrr_img_46480.gif

Nova's View from Space map with the real-time positions of 4,892 satellites. The dense cloud in the center is composed of "LEO" Low Earth Orbiting satellites. The ring beyond is the belt of geosynchronous satellites.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
We would be fucked if this was a real event. We have no capability to remove debris like that. It could set back communications for a long time.
It would be really bad for a few decades but gravity would suck in much of the debris as most of it won't be in a stable orbit. Eventually we would be able to put up more things into space but it would take a good while for things to settle down. There is a lot of serious work being done now to try to figure out how to clean shit up in space and clear out old satellites or fix them in space so they don't keep turning into space junk.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Saw it in IMAX 3D last night at Navy Pier. Thought it was great although the jesus/heaven/little girl monologue towards the end had me rolling my eyes.

The only problem with this movie is that it doesnt lend itself well to repeated viewings. I saw it once, have no interest in seeing it again.

Juvarisx

Florida
I can understand that to an extent. I saw it twice because I love the production / technical stuff behind making movies as much as the movies themselves. The amount of skill that went into filming this was incredible and it looks effortless. The same thing with Children of Men, and while that movie had a much better script, what people remember the most from it is the directing and cinematography.

No one is going to remember Gravity for its plot or dialogue, people will remember it for being a film that could draw you into the setting so easily that you swear that they filmed it in space if you knew that they didn't. The long single takes, the use of 3D to add depth, the laack of sound and the use of music in this movie were all superb.

You have to understand this is a huuuuge step forward for movie making, and while I would never put it on the same plateau of something like Citizen Kane as that movie had a lot of other themes that made it great, the advancements made available due to Orson Welles making that inspired directors for a long time. Hopefully other filmmakers will try to step up their game and use techniques Cuaron used making this.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
nah, all their orbits were degrading rapidly. i was discussing some of this with my dad, he said all the satellites were destroyed and i thought only the low orbiting satellites were affected. he said it started low and expanded outward in a domino effect. still not sure on it.
There is some reality to it, though it wouldnt happen after 1 specific incident so quickly.

Kessler syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the subject of space debris, this was my only real technical gripe of the film. The debris was approaching at ~20k miles per hour and you can clearly see it in the distance and watch as it zooms through the shuttle, ISS, etc. I would think in reality it would be more like a hail of a million hyper speeding bullets. You would never actually see it.

All that aside, the film was incredible. Someone else said that they felt the environment was the star of the film and I agree. Bullock's acting was great, but the immersion was what stood out for me. GO SEE THIS IN 3D IMAX. Do not let anyone talk you out of it. It's 100% worth it.

*Edit*
I just read that Variety article. Props to Bullock for what she went through. I can actually see parallels to what her character would be going though. Method acting in a small way?
Because it was laborious to get in and out of her rig, Bullock chose to stay inside the light box alone for nine or 10 hours at a time, communicating only through a headset. Though she calls those hours isolating and silent, she adds, "It also gave me the opportunity to dig as deeply as I needed to for whatever was required, in privacy. . To me it felt as though there was nothing but the thoughts in my head to give me company."

fucker_sl

shitlord
yes the fact they could see the object was the most glaring unrealistic thing, amont the many. but who cares? 100% realism was not the intention of the movie

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Even though the debris was at 20k the shuttle and stuff was also traveling in the same direction at a very high rate of speed. Wouldn't that explain it?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
My biggest gripe with realism is how everything was so close to each other. Chinese Space Station (which doesnt even exist) is right next to the ISS, which is right next to the hubble

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
saw it yesterday.good movie.
when you see the other dude's face all fucked up,i burst out laughing,my girl stared at me like "wtf?!"