Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I can't imagine 25 lbs of free room in my freezer. Or 25 lbs of one item taking up that much space. Unless it's chili or pulled pork. #1 restriction when we go food shopping is "will we have room in the freezer?".

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I bought a deep freeze, changed my life yo. I have enough food in there to probably last into the fall. Or at least through the summer. Mine is filled with meat, bread, a dead hooker, those steamer bags of veggies, and frozen waffles for the kids.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, once I get a real house instead of a townhouse, a deep freeze is definitely on my "want" list.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
We've got an upright freezer, which I prefer because it's easier to find things than a chest freezer.

However, our dead hooker keeps falling out, which is a pretty big down-side.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We had an upright freezer, but got rid of it in favour of a large, very large chest freezer. There are a lot of us, so it only took a couple hours to get 25 pounds of strawberries, and because there are a lot of us, they will easily be eaten over the course of the winter. We'll do the same with blueberries, raspberries, cherries and peaches.

Contents of our freezer: lots of fruit, most of a cow, half a pig, various chicken, necessary dead hooker, former politician, and the balls of my enemies.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
I do it like two or three times per month. It is super easy and tastes really good.
And nothing like KFC...

I do it a few times a month as well with minor modifications whenever I need shredded chicken for something (enchiladas, quesadillas, chicken pot pie, dips, etc).

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Agreed, tasty and good, but not KFC. Which is actually ok with me.

The wife unit made a chickpea flour crust pizza last night that was delicious. I don't think I'd classify it as 'pizza' though really. Don't care, it was really good.

Tonight, I'm using that same chickpea flour to coat chicken nuggets for frying. Should be interesting.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I hope you have good results. If you're wondering, don't try with coconut flour because it's fucking garbage. My wife tried making a "paleo" style bread, which is grain and dairy free. It uses coconut flower, cashew butter and almond milk. It was *SO* dry. No thanks.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah it definitely tastes NOTHING like KFC, which I am ok with, I never really cared for KFC.

Tonight I made this:

Don't Mess with Texas-Style Blueberry Cobbler | In The Pantry - Yahoo Shine

Having lived in Texas for many, many years and being raised there, I have no idea what is so "Texas-style" about that cobbler. I have only ever seen traditional pie crust cobblers in Texas, never this. But I have made this once before and it is amazeballs. I was thinking of trying it with strawberries instead of blueberries because my middle daughter loves strawberries like crack, but I wasn't sure it would come out the same.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I love cobbler, peach especially. That recipe looks good too.

The chicken coated in chickpea flour went really well. I ended up going half and half with white AP flour. It made a really good coating, very much like a store bought fish breading. It took a little longer to get that nice golden brown color though, so the chicken was a touch overdone. Next time I'll raise the temp. of the peanut oil a bit.

Thanks for the tip on coconut flour. Has anyone used soy flour?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I hope you have good results. If you're wondering, don't try with coconut flour because it's fucking garbage. My wife tried making a "paleo" style bread, which is grain and dairy free. It uses coconut flower, cashew butter and almond milk. It was *SO* dry. No thanks.
Somewhat related: how often should you be expected to cater to people who have food allergies? Like, if you think they're partially psychosomatic, you shouldn't have to bake a gluten-free cheesecake for your wife's birthday just so her mother can have some?

Yeah it definitely tastes NOTHING like KFC, which I am ok with, I never really cared for KFC.

Tonight I made this:

Don't Mess with Texas-Style Blueberry Cobbler | In The Pantry - Yahoo Shine

Having lived in Texas for many, many years and being raised there, I have no idea what is so "Texas-style" about that cobbler. I have only ever seen traditional pie crust cobblers in Texas, never this. But I have made this once before and it is amazeballs. I was thinking of trying it with strawberries instead of blueberries because my middle daughter loves strawberries like crack, but I wasn't sure it would come out the same.
The "texas-style" might have to do with the composition. When I think cobbler, I think of a bunch of fruit baked in sugar, butter, and spices(basically, pie filling) with a streusel topping. What I saw detailed in your link, I thought was a buckle or grunt.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I cater to allergies 100% of the time... in the sense that there will be something they can eat. Everything? Not so much. If you can't eat gluten, you've basically given up on 99% of things with a crust. Time to learn to live with that. Though if my wife asked me to do it... in the case of cheesecake you could just make it crustless, essentially just a baked custard. Bake up some actual crust, break it up into chunks, and add it as a topping for the people who can eat it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Just for the record, I'm looking for lower carb alternatives, and not gluten free horseshit. I love me some gluten.

My friend's wife is gluten and lactose free in her diet. He has to eat gluten-free pizza with no cheese, and I asked him why he even bothers getting pizza. I don't get it.