Gravy's Cooking Thread

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We do not need a vegetarian cooking thread. Just post some recipes if you have any or make a request for some.

lindz

#DDs
Start a vegetarian cooking thread then. If this were another forum I would throw in a salty anecdote about women seeking attention but it would probably break the rules or sumthin ...
Nah I don't want vegetarian. It was just funny to come here and see all ribs and pork loins.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This thread is also on it's first page... the thread on FoH was over 60 if I remember correctly.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Actually, I'm a bit curious. What are some of your favorite veggie recipes? My cooking habits tend to be pretty simple. I really don't like most veggies so I disguise them in spicy heat to mask the flavor; or lack thereof. Cayenne powder is my favorite spice for this reason.

Typically I go for the pan fry with a bit of olive oil, cayenne powder, salt and pepper. When they're close to finished I'll throw in a little bit of Worcestershire sauce. If I don't go the pan fry route, I grill. Grilling I typically use the foil method - wrap the veggies up in foil with butter, garlic and basil and grill that.

I love cooking and have been getting more involved in it the past two years, but I feel I need to broaden my horizons. I use the same methods for a lot of different foods. Granted, I absolutely love my grilled steaks and chicken. And I can make a pretty damn good chili (who can't?) but I'm ready to start going outside my comfort zone.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've got the ribs in the galbi marinade, not cooking them until Sunday though. That marinade should kick the shit out of the meat in that time. I also put some fajitas on to marinade for Saturday, since that is probably my wife's favorite thing that I make. The marinade consists of:

3-4 tbls Adobo seasoning
1/2 tbls black pepper
2 tbls paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/3 can of chipotle chiles with adobo sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
2 limes, juice and zest

Measurements are approx, I just do it by eye. I like to let the skirt steak sit in the marinade for about 2 days prior to cooking, then just grill to medium or so. I made these for my wife's entire family when they came up for Thanksgiving, everyone thought they were amazing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Actually, I'm a bit curious. What are some of your favorite veggie recipes?
I like to go simple with my veggies. I do green beans in a soy/garlic sauce that always kills. I cook broccoli up in some olive oil and garlic, then mix about 1/4 of water with 1/2 tbls of salt or so and steam it for about 2-3 minutes in that salty water, shit is really good. I'm liking peppers more and more as I get older, but I haven't found anything that makes them taste better than just roasting them and topping other shit with them. I tried doing pan fried corn on the cob in an apple cider vinegar sauce... it did not go over well. I thought it was good, whatever, these goddamn heathens. Carrot medallions in a honey butter glaze, it is pretty ridiculous but in no way healthy.

I wish I could do more outside my comfort zone, but I am pretty limited. My wife is a really picky eater and my oldest kid is 3, meaning I have to ensure that the kids are going to eat at least something I make. A good example is, I tried quinoa a few times, just to mix up the shit my kids are eating. They just weren't having it, the texture was too weird. I want to try farro soon but I'm not sure what to do with it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is sort of off topic, but people who are picky eaters as adults are a pet peeve of mine. It drives me insane when I'm at a dinner party and some 40 year old person goes "oh yuck" when one of the dishes goes around. I can't imagine being that fucking rude. I really think that 90% of "I don't like that" is people who have never tried the thing in question, or tried it once and then declared that they would never eat it again. In my experience when I have tried something I didn't like it usually takes eating it 3 or 4 times and it stops bothering me but I know a 45 year old guy who absolutely refuses to eat anything that he doesn't think he's going to like and doesn't mind saying so right in front of the person who cooked him dinner. I know another guy the same age who not only refuses to eat some things AND points out that he's not going to eat them when he's at your house for dinner, but openly mocks foods that he thinks are unnatural or unhealthy.

What the fuck people. I understand that 5 year olds don't have developed palates and are going to refuse a lot of food, but you have to get over that by the time you're an adult, for your own enjoyment of life if not because you don't want to be an asshole. If I have dated multiple women who would only eat like 5 things on a restaurant menu and we had to choose our restaurants carefully (usually fucking Applebees is about as exotic as you can get) so there would be something there that they would eat. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me now. If we're on a first date and she says she doesn't eat (insert food here) that's definitely strike one. Don't even get me started on vegans.

Parents: Make your kids try new things, don't release more of these narcissistic assholes on our planet.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Actually, I'm a bit curious. What are some of your favorite veggie recipes?
Do mashed potatoes not count? Tomato sauce?

Or do you mean just vegetables by themselves? My sister made roasted broccoli last Christmas. It's really simple, just brocolli and olive oil in an oven for a while. I was really surprised how much more flavorful they were compared to standard boiled broccoli. And I like that method too.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Do mashed potatoes not count? Tomato sauce?

Or do you mean just vegetables by themselves? My sister made roasted broccoli last Christmas. It's really simple, just brocolli and olive oil in an oven for a while. I was really surprised how much more flavorful they were compared to standard boiled broccoli. And I like that method too.
I guess I should have been more specific. I don't really make potatoes as much anymore. I try to stick to "real" veggies. I love mashed potatoes but I've been successful in making them. Which is odd considering how simple they are. I have a tried and true green bean recipe. But I also enjoy asparagus, zucchini and bell peppers. Peppers are my #1 go-to veggie. So delicious. My methods for cooking them are similar to above, but there also delicious when grilled straight after marinating in some soyaki sauce.

rrr_img_4432.jpg

I'm come to enjoy Brussels sprouts somewhat recently. Roasted Brussels sprouts are one of the greatest things ever. I think that has more to do with the bacon involved, but damn is it delicious. I just want to be able enjoy the veggies I've mentioned in different ways that I do now.

rrr_img_4432.jpg

Silver Knight of the Realm
This is sort of off topic, but people who are picky eaters as adults are a pet peeve of mine. It drives me insane when I'm at a dinner party and some 40 year old person goes "oh yuck" when one of the dishes goes around. I can't imagine being that fucking rude. I really think that 90% of "I don't like that" is people who have never tried the thing in question, or tried it once and then declared that they would never eat it again. In my experience when I have tried something I didn't like it usually takes eating it 3 or 4 times and it stops bothering me but I know a 45 year old guy who absolutely refuses to eat anything that he doesn't think he's going to like and doesn't mind saying so right in front of the person who cooked him dinner. I know another guy the same age who not only refuses to eat some things AND points out that he's not going to eat them when he's at your house for dinner, but openly mocks foods that he thinks are unnatural or unhealthy.

What the fuck people. I understand that 5 year olds don't have developed palates and are going to refuse a lot of food, but you have to get over that by the time you're an adult, for your own enjoyment of life if not because you don't want to be an asshole. If I have dated multiple women who would only eat like 5 things on a restaurant menu and we had to choose our restaurants carefully (usually fucking Applebees is about as exotic as you can get) so there would be something there that they would eat. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me now. If we're on a first date and she says she doesn't eat (insert food here) that's definitely strike one. Don't even get me started on vegans.

Parents: Make your kids try new things, don't release more of these narcissistic assholes on our planet.
Bro, the shit that kills me is people who smother dishes in mayo or mustard. I'm aight with a touch of mayo or mustard, but if you pass me some potato salad or some shit that's just gobbed up mayo with some potatoes in it it's getting passed on.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I guess I should have been more specific. I don't really make potatoes as much anymore. I try to stick to "real" veggies. I love mashed potatoes but I've been successful in making them. Which is odd considering how simple they are. I have a tried and true green bean recipe. But I also enjoy asparagus, zucchini and bell peppers. Peppers are my #1 go-to veggie. So delicious. My methods for cooking them are similar to above, but there also delicious when grilled straight after marinating in some soyaki sauce.

rrr_img_4432.jpg

I'm come to enjoy Brussels sprouts somewhat recently. Roasted Brussels sprouts are one of the greatest things ever. I think that has more to do with the bacon involved, but damn is it delicious. I just want to be able enjoy the veggies I've mentioned in different ways that I do now.
Brussels sprouts are all about carmelization(sp?). Throw some onion, carrots, potato in with them, drizzle w/ olive oil. Add a little salt, and I usually just make it up as I go depending on what I'm feeling like. I do also like them in a nice hearty beef stew though.

That TJ's soyaki is pretty good, buthttp://soyvay.com/is the original. I've only had maybe 3 of the varieties, but they're awesome.

rrr_img_4432.jpg

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think the key to vegetables is to not cook them into mush and to season them. Stir fry, steaming, grilling, etc. are all better than boiling and the worst thing you can do is cook them too long. The other thing that they need that some people neglect to do is seasoning. Even if it's just a little salt and black pepper, it really makes them more tasty. If you want to grill vegetables you don't need to go out and fire up the outdoor grill. I grill vegetables on a cast iron grill pan and they turn out awesome (need a little olive oil on them). Thick slices of red onion grilled this way with some black pepper are one of the greatest things ever.

Silver Knight of the Realm
Forreal bro. I like to saut? my brussels sprouts in bacon fat with nothing but salt and pepper. Other times I'll roast them with other veg. Brussels sprouts and bacon is a legit side though, good shit. One of my big standby vegetables is squash. I like to cut squash and zucchini into long strips, drizzle with fat (usually olive oil - temps are probably too high for it, but whatever, it still tastes good) + salt + pepper and grill them with some meat. Grilled eggplant is also the ish.

One of the simpler "meals" I like to make is just steamed/simmered cabbage with smoked sausage. Slice or "cube" the cabbage, place in a large pan with enough water to cover the bottom, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, cover and reduce temp so that it simmers until tender. Add sliced smoked sausage a few minutes into the process so that it has time to cook. Not the greatest meal in the world, but I like the mix of sweet and savory you get.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have tips on getting fried chicken as close to KFC (or better if you think so) without needing a massively expensive pressure fryer?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

who cares if someone doesn't like something? If someone is being rude, that is different. But if they just don't like a particular thing, whatever. This isn't Stalinist Russia or 1932 dust bowl or whatever, we have options.

I hate it when people won't at least give something new a try. Well, most things. I don't expect anyone to try durian fruit or something. But if they try it and they don't like it, whatever.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Whomever posted that prime rib recipe on Morenetz please repost it, I was going to make that shit and the damn site went down.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
who cares if someone doesn't like something? If someone is being rude, that is different. But if they just don't like a particular thing, whatever. This isn't Stalinist Russia or 1932 dust bowl or whatever, we have options.

I hate it when people won't at least give something new a try. Well, most things. I don't expect anyone to try durian fruit or something. But if they try it and they don't like it, whatever.
It's childish and it's "I need special treatment because I have decided I don't like this". The stuff doesn't taste bad, if it did there wouldn't be millions of other people eating it every day. You can learn to like practically anything without much effort. If you just let something go by and don't say anything it's no big deal, but if it gets to the point where we can't go to XX restaurant because you don't like that then fuck you. Do whatever you want but I don't want to hang out with you and your precious food requirements.

People should get over that shit just for their own personal happiness. There's so much good food in the world and so much social interaction that has to do with food, you're not doing your kids any favors by letting them grow up as fussy eaters. Also, maybe this is a stereotype, but when I meet someone that is a fussy eater I sort of assume that they were spoiled as a child and are still a narcissist as an adult.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think Brutal is talking about people who are extremely picky. He mentioned Applebee's being the only restaurant of choice. That's pretty terrible. I have a friend who is the same way. When I visit her we always go to the same restaurants and she always orders the exact same thing every time. I'll ask her if there are any good Thai restaurants. She hates Thai food. OK, what about Indian? Hate that too. Sushi? Fucking disgusting! I don't get how someone can just write off an entire country's worth of food. Really? You hate fucking everything that restaurant has to offer? You realize on every Asian cuisine menu there are literally over 100 items to choose from? You hate them all? I think it does show a certain level of immaturity.