Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yes, I have dated two women that would basically not eat anything in a restaurant but steak and potatoes and it's fucking lame. Also, as I mentioned, the people I know who are fussy are usually self-centered and immature in other ways as well.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
When you're talking about someone that extreme, yeah that probably is a certain amount of immaturity. Someone just doesn't like certain foods or something? It really isn't that big of a deal. Taste is subjective.

Maybe I should have qualified, when I said my wife is a picky eater, I didn't mean she was some crazy shutin who only eats chicken fingers and ketchup.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
who cares if someone doesn't like something? If someone is being rude, that is different. But if they just don't like a particular thing, whatever. This isn't Stalinist Russia or 1932 dust bowl or whatever, we have options.

I hate it when people won't at least give something new a try. Well, most things. I don't expect anyone to try durian fruit or something. But if they try it and they don't like it, whatever.
Funny tangent story time! One of my coworkers was in Malaysia for a week getting some new testers setup to be shipped to us here in the states. These things are bordering on millions of dollars a piece, so I guess it requires some personal attention.

Anyway, he picks up some durian-filled chocolate truffles in the airport on the way home. I walk in on him duping two of my coworkers into trying it just as they're biting into the things. The look of revulsion on their faces as he tries to foist one on me and I slowly explain that I know what durian is and that not even crazy food guy on the travel network would eat that. They didn't finish them, but I was a bit disappointed that the office didn't stink up. The amount of fat the durian must have absorbed it all.

I think THAT is an appropriate time to be picky. However, since I doubt most of you will ever stumble upon durian truffles in your life, a better example: if someone offers me a beef stew with mushrooms, I'll eat it. I'm ok with the taste of mushrooms, don't like the texture. A portobello burger, I'll probably turn down.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I saw Tony Bourdain eat a durian on one of his shows once. He put on a brave face, but you could tell he wanted to puke. I think he also ate bird's nest soup on that trip which, after watching him eat both, I think I'd go with the Durian.

I think THAT is an appropriate time to be picky. However, since I doubt most of you will ever stumble upon durian truffles in your life, a better example: if someone offers me a beef stew with mushrooms, I'll eat it. I'm ok with the taste of mushrooms, don't like the texture. A portobello burger, I'll probably turn down.
But I bet if you ate a half dozen portobello burgers or mushroom pizzas with the attitude that you wanted to get over your mushroom aversion, you could do it. That has been my experience at least, and you would most likely save yourself many an awkward situation down the road and have a bunch of new dishes that you enjoy.

Anyway, I'll stop shitting up the cooking thread with my little crusade, but seriously, do your kids a favor and expose them to different kinds of food and make them try new things.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't like portabella mushrooms either. They can stay away from my burgers.

Silver Knight of the Realm
do your kids a favor and expose them to different kinds of food and make them try new things.
Not only is it important that you get them to try new things, bro, if they don't like it, you should have them try it again later in life.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am actually 100% on board with that, and am pretty nazi about making my kids try new things. When I was younger, I was one of those pussy whiny "i don't like this" eaters that get Brutul to almost 9000 level butthurt. But I overcame that, mostly, and I don't want my kids to be the same.

Tea_sl

shitlord
I was very picky as a kid, but in retrospect that was probably due in large part to my parents cooking. Sometimes I will make them dinner and they like it, but they always complain that it's too spicy. Their level of unacceptable spiciness is fresh ground black pepper. It's the worst, so I grew up eating a lot of bland, overcooked food. My wife was picky when we met as well, but she was young and her mom is the same way as my parents. She isn't picky at all now, and I think a lot of it is just much better cooking.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
you assholes haven't posted the Prime Rib recipe yet
smile.png

I made a pork tenderloin last week, it wasn't too bad but I was on a time limit and the damn thing wouldn't cook so it turned out a little dry. I have another one left in the fridge and I think I'm gonna make it tonight and really take my time on it.
Here's the recipe if anyone is interested.

1 pork tenderloin
1 stick of butter
2 jars of grey poupon
1 tbsp of parsley
1 tbsp of basil

make sure the butter is really soft but not melted, wisk it with the mustard and mix in the parsley and basil. put your tenderloin in whatever baking pan you are using coat the tenderloin however it says to on the package. now depending on how big the tenderloin is you may have to double the recipe. check on it often so you can baste it like a turkey.
cook temp and duration will be specified on the tenderloin, make sure meat is white all the way through.

smile.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I was very picky as a kid, but in retrospect that was probably due in large part to my parents cooking. Sometimes I will make them dinner and they like it, but they always complain that it's too spicy. Their level of unacceptable spiciness is fresh ground black pepper. It's the worst, so I grew up eating a lot of bland, overcooked food. My wife was picky when we met as well, but she was young and her mom is the same way as my parents. She isn't picky at all now, and I think a lot of it is just much better cooking.
British parents?

Silence_sl

shitlord
I made a pork tenderloin last week, it wasn't too bad but I was on a time limit and the damn thing wouldn't cook so it turned out a little dry.
Dry pork is overcooked pork which is really easy to do, especially with "tender"loins. Find a good brine solution (Alton Brown), and start buy halving the brine solution and working up in subsequent cookings till you get a taste that you can live with.

Also: fuck pork.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I tried this recipe over the holidays last year and now I do it every year. It sounds more intimidating than it is. A prime rib roast (with marsala sauce) and some amazing kale mashed potatoes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...l?ic1=obinsite

A quick secret on the roast. Have your butcher cut the ribs from the roast for you and then truss it up with the ribs tied in place. This way you get the flavor of cooking on the rib but none of the hassle. When you cut the twine after the roast has rested, the ribs peel off the roast and you can slice them as an added bonus to the meal (beef ribs are amazing when cooked properly).

Eonan

Doer of Things
Welsh. Well my mom is. My dad made bachelor food and thought he was a pretty decent chef for it. Wonderbread toasted with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Gourmet!
My mother is British as well and I grew up with the same type of food essentially. My girlfriend finds it odd that I can't really handle very spicy stuff, meanwhile she can take shots of habanero hot sauces like they're nothing. My mom did try to change things up a bit, but Pot Roast and Shepard's Pie are by far my two favorite home-cooked foods.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Every time I've tried to make pot roast in the slow cooker the meat turns out dry. It really never bothered me as a kid, I guess, but now it does. So I just never make it anymore.

Tea_sl

shitlord
My mother is British as well and I grew up with the same type of food essentially. My girlfriend finds it odd that I can't really handle very spicy stuff, meanwhile she can take shots of habanero hot sauces like they're nothing. My mom did try to change things up a bit, but Pot Roast and Shepard's Pie are by far my two favorite home-cooked foods.
I've perhaps overcompensated. I use a lot of spice. I'm definitely not shy about throwing some habaneros or ghost chili's into almost anything. Thai spicy 15? More like Thai mild.

So.....I think we're doing lobster for xmas dinner. Only problem is is that we really haven't cooked for a good long time. I'm pretty sensitive to smells at the moment. I picked lobster because frankly I thought it would be quick and easy and fairly neutral. We'll see.

We have been basically eating what I've been craving (things stay down better that way I find but not always. The other night I had a craving for chili's queso (I know I know) so my husband ran out to get take out and for some fucktarded reason I was like "I havent been able to eat a lot of anything but I should get an entree too - how about chicken fingers (All I want it seems is chicken - which I did not eat a lot of before this)...which came with a side. None of the veggies sounded good so I was like ok I haven't really wanted potatoes for weeks but lets try the loaded mashed potatoes. BIG mistake - the smell of bacon was SUCH a fucking turn off - I told my husband to get that shit the fuck away from me. The smell alone made me sick. UGH. Still remembering it makes me fucking ill).

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Ok, I made the best tasting burger I've ever had a few nights ago. I got most of the idea for it from Myron Mixon's BBQ book. Basically they are smoked burgers finished in a skillet. 1 lb ground meat, I put 2.5 tsps bbq rub in it, and a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. Mixed it well, formed patties, put them in an aluminum cake round thing, and then on the smoker (apple wood!) at 300'F for 30 minutes. Once out of the smoker, the patties went into a skillet with butter & olive oil, for about 3 minutes per side, just enough to get some good burning/bark. In a toasted bun, lettuce, cheese, mayo, ketchup. that's the best burger you will ever have. Sure, it sucks taking over an hour (get smoker going, smoke them, then finish on skillet) to make a burger, but the flavor was insane. Smoke rings in a burger!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
So.....I think we're doing lobster for xmas dinner. Only problem is is that we really haven't cooked for a good long time. I'm pretty sensitive to smells at the moment. I picked lobster because frankly I thought it would be quick and easy and fairly neutral. We'll see.

We have been basically eating what I've been craving (things stay down better that way I find but not always. The other night I had a craving for chili's queso (I know I know) so my husband ran out to get take out and for some fucktarded reason I was like "I havent been able to eat a lot of anything but I should get an entree too - how about chicken fingers (All I want it seems is chicken - which I did not eat a lot of before this)...which came with a side. None of the veggies sounded good so I was like ok I haven't really wanted potatoes for weeks but lets try the loaded mashed potatoes. BIG mistake - the smell of bacon was SUCH a fucking turn off - I told my husband to get that shit the fuck away from me. The smell alone made me sick. UGH. Still remembering it makes me fucking ill).
You sound really crazy in this post.