Gravy's Cooking Thread

Yeah my smoker project got put on hold while I get my garden up and running plus a thousand other home projects. I do hope to have my smoker operational by summer. I think I'll try them in the oven, maybe I'll try Alton's dry rub, I haven't been able to get a good dry rub myself. It just never ends up quite right.
I highly recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain. it's a bit pricey but it the most painless smoker I have ever used, holds a low slow temp perfectly. I have done 14 hr smokes with it and the only thing I had to touch was add more liquid to the pan every 4-5 hrs. If you read forums by fans of that model, they change out the water pan for a Brinkman model that holds 2X the liquid so you have to fuss with it even less. Never seen a smoker run it's temp as consistently. As Ron Popeil would say "Set it and Forget it"

my_weber_smokey_mountain.JPG

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've actually worked as a chef earlier in my life. I love, love, love cooking, and I love cooking fresh, so I do a lot of vegetarian.

Not tonight, though. I'm making a full-on sushi/sashimi meal. Very festive, no?
smile.png

Christmas morning breakfast, I make smoked salmon (smoked it today) on fresh rolls, topped with scrambled eggs. Gordon Ramsay made this recipe famous.

It's a good thing I have a high metabolic rate, or I'd be 400 pounds.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've actually worked as a chef earlier in my life. I love, love, love cooking, and I love cooking fresh, so I do a lot of vegetarian.

Not tonight, though. I'm making a full-on sushi/sashimi meal. Very festive, no?
smile.png

Christmas morning breakfast, I make smoked salmon (smoked it today) on fresh rolls, topped with scrambled eggs. Gordon Ramsay made this recipe famous.

It's a good thing I have a high metabolic rate, or I'd be 400 pounds.
If you're going to bother with smoked salmon, why scrambled eggs? Why not a fried egg with a runny yolk?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you're going to bother with smoked salmon, why scrambled eggs? Why not a fried egg with a runny yolk?
Not a fan of the runny yolk fried egg. Plus the velvety texture of the scrambled eggs is great with the crispy muffin, and the flavour is nice with the salmon.

Just a preference thing, I guess.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I highly recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain. it's a bit pricey but it the most painless smoker I have ever used, holds a low slow temp perfectly. I have done 14 hr smokes with it and the only thing I had to touch was add more liquid to the pan every 4-5 hrs. If you read forums by fans of that model, they change out the water pan for a Brinkman model that holds 2X the liquid so you have to fuss with it even less. Never seen a smoker run it's temp as consistently. As Ron Popeil would say "Set it and Forget it"

my_weber_smokey_mountain.JPG
http://makeprojects.com/Project/The+...1#.UNlXa6wyQvQ

I'm making this one. I doubt it will be as good as a weber, but you know, it feels good to build shit and be a man and stuff. I have all the parts, took a while to source a food safe barrel and fire box but I managed it.

rrr_img_5232.jpg

Santa fucking loves me, Last year was a Thermapen and a Shun Knife, this year a set of 26 1 hr DVD cooking lectures from the Culinary Institute of American (Waiting on UPS sadly). That and a $200 gift card to a local high end kitchen supply house. This is really gonna up my game. Fucking excited.

http://makeprojects.com/Project/The+...1#.UNlXa6wyQvQ

I'm making this one. I doubt it will be as good as a weber, but you know, it feels good to build shit and be a man and stuff. I have all the parts, took a while to source a food safe barrel and fire box but I managed it.

rrr_img_5232.jpg
Looks like a fun project, please post pics of the build and your first smoke. I am always down for cooking pr0n.

One thing I would check is a lot of those style 5 gal. metal pails you are gonna use for your firebox have a rubber ring impregnated in the lid to insure they seal well, some peel right out, others are impossible to remove.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I made this turkey a few days ago. I recommend it.

http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/go...ith-lemon.html

The lemon butter makes it amazing.
I did something very similar, but with the butter was just rosemary, thyme, and garlic. It occurred to me that would be an excellent recipe for a turkey roulade, pound out the breasted spread that shit on and tie it up. One day I will have to give it a go, it was some of the best turkey I've ever had.

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
I didn't mean she was some crazy shutin who only eats chicken fingers and ketchup.
I did a semester in Berlin when I was in college and there were two girls that came who both only ate Chicken McNuggets from McDonald's the entire time we were there. They refused to eat absolutely anything else from anywhere else.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Been tweaking this over a few months, I think it is very good now

Basil Pesto

1/2 - 1 cup Olive Oil
1-3 Cloves Garlic (base on your level of how much garlic you enjoy)
1 Cup (ish) Fresh Cilantro (leaves and stems)
1/2 cup fresh Basil
1/2 - 1 cup Pine Nuts (or Walnuts)
1/4 cup fresh parmasean cheese, grated
Pinch salt

You can lightly roast the nuts if you like and have time

Combine Olive Oil, greens, and garlic into food processor and pulse until smooth

Add nuts, salt and cheese, pulsing till desired consistency

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Made Panna Cotta tonight. The base is idiot proof, but I figured I'd go a little more festive with the topping. Chopped figs and apricots, stewed in brandy, then flamed just prior to putting the topping on the panna cotta in the ramekins. Worked like a dream.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
this year a set of 26 1 hr DVD cooking lectures from the Culinary Institute of American (Waiting on UPS sadly). That and a $200 gift card to a local high end kitchen supply house. This is really gonna up my game. Fucking excited.
I also got this from Santa. From The Teaching Company, correct? The lectures are 30 mins not an hour (all Teaching Company lectures are) and I have something like 15 other Teaching Company DVDs too. Everything from Nanotechnology to Modern Chinese History. Haven't started the cooking one yet but if it's anything like the others, it's top notch all the way and I expect to learn a lot.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anybody having a superbowl party this year?

I think I'm going to do baby back ribs this year. I will probably smoke them in the Big Green Egg the night before, then reheat them in the oven on Sunday. I will also have hot wings using theAlton Brown methodand sliders. I make the sliders using potato dinner rolls. Not sure why but these are the best damn hamburgers I eat all year. I usually break out the oil and deep fry something for the SB but I think I'm going to save the mess this year.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So for xmas I got a set of stainless steel cookware, so I got to trash all my old crappy Tfal I'd been using for the past 8 or so years
biggrin.png
I also got a beauty nonstick pan... you should see the eggs slide on this thing.

It's going to be a good cooking year.

Anybody having a superbowl party this year?

I think I'm going to do baby back ribs this year. I will probably smoke them in the Big Green Egg the night before, then reheat them in the oven on Sunday. I will also have hot wings using theAlton Brown methodand sliders. I make the sliders using potato dinner rolls. Not sure why but these are the best damn hamburgers I eat all year. I usually break out the oil and deep fry something for the SB but I think I'm going to save the mess this year.
You should do the wings on the BGE! I did some a few months back. They were cooked perfectly, but the rub I used was too salty. I'll be more careful with my rub next time.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ok, I made the best tasting burger I've ever had a few nights ago. I got most of the idea for it from Myron Mixon's BBQ book. Basically they are smoked burgers finished in a skillet. 1 lb ground meat, I put 2.5 tsps bbq rub in it, and a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. Mixed it well, formed patties, put them in an aluminum cake round thing, and then on the smoker (apple wood!) at 300'F for 30 minutes. Once out of the smoker, the patties went into a skillet with butter & olive oil, for about 3 minutes per side, just enough to get some good burning/bark. In a toasted bun, lettuce, cheese, mayo, ketchup. that's the best burger you will ever have. Sure, it sucks taking over an hour (get smoker going, smoke them, then finish on skillet) to make a burger, but the flavor was insane. Smoke rings in a burger!
Ketchup on a burger?

Pass!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if anyone's girlfriends/wives are into Pinterest - but my old lady spends maybe 3 hours a night on that fucking website.... I have to say, I've never eaten so well. She's constantly cooking up shit she finds on there in the slow cooker and 8/10 times its pretty good. Not gourmet, but for the effort I've been fairly astonished.

I madehttp://food-pusher.blogspot.com/2010...-burritos.htmlyesterday, and it was easy as fuck and pretty good. Spiced it up with some fresh green chili's and jalapeno's and was stuffed after one of them. Plus its packed with protein.