Gravy's Cooking Thread

The Master

Bronze Squire
For the ziploc bag thing, the best way to get the air out completely is actually partially submerge it in the water and close it. The pressure from the water forces the air out. Obviously if the water is already boiling it isn't as good. That is sous vide, technically.

Also sous vide eggs are a fluffy and beautiful thing. They have a fantastic texture, not quite like a custard, that you simply can't get in a pan.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
For sous vide egg, do you just drop it in the water directly and poach it?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just remember when making ribs in the oven, if they are "fall-off-the-bone tender" they are over-done. Ribs should never just fall apart, they should have a bit of firmness to them to where you can rip a chunk of meat off with your teeth, but the whole rib doesn't fall apart when doing so. I have a friend who makes great ribs, cooks them in the oven to start, then finishes on the grill for the char/smoke flavor. They taste amazing but he always overcooks them to the point that you can just slide the bone out.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
By definition, you have to overcook ribs. There's too much connective tissue that requires breaking down at temperatures way above "well done".

I don't get the appeal of ribs anyway. Ratio of meat to bones and mystery stuff is way too low.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's just like anything else that is cooked bone-in, it has better flavor than a piece of pure meat with no large bone in it. That bone ads some nice flavor. Same with a whole chicken vs boneless chicken breasts, or wings vs nuggets, etc. Those bones are full of flavor.

I'm not a huge fan of bone-in steaks, as I don't really think the short amount of time that a steak is seared/grilled really allows much flavor to be added to a bone, but something like pork chops that you bake for a while in the oven, or a rotisserie chicken, those definitely benefit from the bones, as do ribs.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just remember when making ribs in the oven, if they are "fall-off-the-bone tender" they are over-done. Ribs should never just fall apart, they should have a bit of firmness to them to where you can rip a chunk of meat off with your teeth, but the whole rib doesn't fall apart when doing so. I have a friend who makes great ribs, cooks them in the oven to start, then finishes on the grill for the char/smoke flavor. They taste amazing but he always overcooks them to the point that you can just slide the bone out.
This is a matter of preference. I prefer things the way describe, but to a lot of people I know if I serve them ribs they can't cleanly pull one of the bones out of it's 'meh'. Other people (my own mother!) like the other way where the ribs stick to the bone which I find problematic to eat.

I bake my babyback ribs for ~8 hours at 210F, with tinfoil around them (and a dryrub)

This recipe says they take 48 hours to cook 138F:
Fabulous Tender Pork Ribs - Sous Vide Style Recipe - Food.com

Has anyone ever sous vide'd some ribs like that? Are they any different from baking them overnight?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's just like anything else that is cooked bone-in, it has better flavor than a piece of pure meat with no large bone in it. That bone ads some nice flavor. Same with a whole chicken vs boneless chicken breasts, or wings vs nuggets, etc. Those bones are full of flavor.

I'm not a huge fan of bone-in steaks, as I don't really think the short amount of time that a steak is seared/grilled really allows much flavor to be added to a bone, but something like pork chops that you bake for a while in the oven, or a rotisserie chicken, those definitely benefit from the bones, as do ribs.
Let me amend my criticism. Bones in ribs aren't really a problem since they are quite easy to eat around. The few times I've had ribs, there's just too much "not meat/bone", quite disgusting.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i have sous vide ribs. i did a dry rub recipe off all recipes or something. it took about 2 days, meat was tender, almost falling off the bone, it just didn't taste as good as the bbq ribs i had in TN.

maybe if i try again with marinade instead, but at least if it's cooking for 2 days, my oven isn't on for that long, that'd freak me out.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I do mine opposite of your friend. Don't know why, and I'm probably doing it wrong? I hot smoke them around 300 for about 3 hours then foil wrap and pop them in a low temp oven for a couple more hours.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Let me amend my criticism. Bones in ribs aren't really a problem since they are quite easy to eat around. The few times I've had ribs, there's just too much "not meat/bone", quite disgusting.
What's a real rib-killer is when restaurants cut all the meat off their ribs. baby back ribs are supposed to have a thick layer of meat/fat/goodness all around but especially on top
anatomy9.jpg

but places like Chile's will cut away until you can literally see the bone on the meaty side of the ribs:
21cf62ec8c11a34085883a404cb2ec40.JPG

Which means you're pretty much getting some 400 calories in a full rack of ribs. When you buy ribs from a butcher/store, a full rack is like, 3000 calories, lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Went to a cookout where a black dude made some ribs. Best ribs of my life. Feel it was important to the story that he was as black as they come.

Had probably 30-40 full racks and I think I ate 2 myself.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I guess because I grew up with spareribs, that's what I like to use. The untrimmed ones, not the 'st louis style' ribs where they cut off the ends.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's a real rib-killer is when restaurants cut all the meat off their ribs. baby back ribs are supposed to have a thick layer of meat/fat/goodness all around but especially on top
anatomy9.jpg

but places like Chile's will cut away until you can literally see the bone on the meaty side of the ribs:
21cf62ec8c11a34085883a404cb2ec40.JPG

Which means you're pretty much getting some 400 calories in a full rack of ribs. When you buy ribs from a butcher/store, a full rack is like, 3000 calories, lol.
Where's the squishy shit on that diagram? That's what makes me avoid ribs. That, and I'm not a huge fan of finger food that can be eaten other ways.

The Master

Bronze Squire
For sous vide egg, do you just drop it in the water directly and poach it?
No, bag it. And it isn't just a poached egg at all. Poaching is something you do at much higher temps. The fact that you're basically right at the temp at which egg proteins coagulate makes them set very slowly. What a lot of pro chefs do is actually just get it to the setting point and then put them in a whipping container and serve "whipped eggs." You can do fun patterns and stuff, just imagine you could spray perfectly cooked, fluffy, custardy eggs out of a whip cream canister. The guy who invented this technique basically got a second Michelen star for it.

As for ribs, they have a lot of connective tissue. All that connective tissue turns into gelatin when cooked in a small amount of liquid, for a long period of time, at low heat. At that point there is no more connective tissue and they are "fall of the bone" with that incredibly heavy mouth feel. Personal opinions can vary on the "toothsomeness" of how you like your ribs, but fall off the bone ribs that are still flavorful and moist have been perfectly cooked from a technical perspective, at a minimum.

Also that slightly gritty flesh that gets stuck in your teeth with ribs sometimes? That is unconverted connective tissue. If you don't like having to floss right after eating ribs, you want them falling off the bone.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Where's the squishy shit on that diagram? That's what makes me avoid ribs. That, and I'm not a huge fan of finger food that can be eaten other ways.
The squishy shit is allllllll up in that diagram and is part of the rib eating experience. I don't blame you for not liking it, it's gross and delicious. Like sardines, lobster, chicken wings etc.

MAXPOWERS_sl

shitlord
Just bought a rack of pork spare ribs. Going to brine them for 24 hours. Then dry rub them in the same spices I use for my chili, then sous vide them for 30 hours at 140. Will finish them off on a grill pan on the stove top.

Sadly my smoker is out of town so I'll be adding liquid smoke to the brine.