Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm about an hour from tasting those Alton Brown oven ribs, I'll post back with how well they turned out.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I just bought one of those ronco rotisserie grills. I had one before, back in the 90s. But when my mom saw the thing she borrowed it and I never saw it again, lol. So my kids were at her house last week and she pulled it out and did a chicken. They were so fascinated by the thing and said it was the best chicken they ever ate. So I had to get one again. I think the one I got is a bit bigger, it can do a 15lb turkey.

Im kind of excited about using it again.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I just bought one of those ronco rotisserie grills. I had one before, back in the 90s. But when my mom saw the thing she borrowed it and I never saw it again, lol. So my kids were at her house last week and she pulled it out and did a chicken. They were so fascinated by the thing and said it was the best chicken they ever ate. So I had to get one again. I think the one I got is a bit bigger, it can do a 15lb turkey.

Im kind of excited about using it again.
My wife (and her family) refer to it by the catch-phrase... "We put it on the set-it-n-forget-it and had a great chicken from it!"

It works pretty well, though ours has a hellish squeal when it rotates.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Or he passed out from an overload of dopamine being excreted by the pleasure centers of his brain from consuming the best ever ribs he ever had?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't forget the Meat Sweats. Meat Sweat are an early warning sign of an oncoming Meat Coma.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I tried making short ribs in 4 hours instead of the usual 8ish in the slow cooker, the results were acceptable but not as good. I really wish I had a slow cooker with a delayed start on it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
currently using my crock pot for chili atm, smells nice, thick, hearty
beef
kidney beans
tomatoes
green peppers
cumin/chili powder/garlic/jalepeno's

any chili secrets i can put in last minute? (it's going on 6hours now)

also dehydrating a pineapple/pears and never did try apricot so trying now(ate it, never dehydrated it)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I hit a snag with my dehydrator plans, couldn't find non-fiberglass air filters at my Home Depot. And the ones at Target were all the super expensive 3M ones.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you can hit up walmart, i always see the cheap blue furnace filter in there. I only notice it cuz my old apt used to use these cheap filters and i'd always replace them with my own HEPA ones.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Obviously too late of an addition, but what's your thought on adding beer to chili? I'm not really sure it adds anything compared to the typically strong mix of spices.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm allergic to alcohol so i pretty much avoid cooking with beer/wine. sometimes i'll make separate portions w/ and w/o alcohol for the wife, but i either suck at cooking with alcohol or it doesn't add much.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Obviously too late of an addition, but what's your thought on adding beer to chili? I'm not really sure it adds anything compared to the typically strong mix of spices.
I generally like adding something like a stout or wheat beer to my chili, something that has some noticeable flavor.

Here is my chili recipe that I make multiple times every football season, and everyone absolutely goes nuts over it:

Take any generic chili recipe that you find online, and make these 4 simple adjustments:

1) However much hamburger the recipe calls for, use 1/2 hamburger and 1/2 ground spicy italian sausage or chorizo

2) Replace half the cans of diced tomatoes with cans of ro-tel instead(hotness of your choosing)

3) Before you do ANYTHING, cook some bacon in your chili pot to start. Use about 1/3 of however many pounds of other meat you are adding(If recipe calls for 3 lbs of hamburger, add 1 lb of bacon). Cut raw bacon into like 1" pieces, and brown it up in the bottom of your chili pot. do NOT pour the grease out, add ALL your veggies(onions, green/red peppers, jalapenos, etc) for the recipe next and sautee them in the bacon grease. They'll soak it up and retain that bacon flavor. If theres any bacon grease left after the veggies are sauteed, then drain the excess.

4) Pour in a full-bodied beer of your choosing(something like a guinness, boulevard wheat, etc. Something with a strong flavor, just not a light beer). Use that liquid to kind of deglaze the bottom of the chili pot and pull out any tiny bacon nubbies that are stuck to the pan, also will soak into your veggies. Then add all of your meat & beans and seasonings per your normal recipe

Do those 4 things, and any generic chili recipe will taste badass

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
currently using my crock pot for chili atm, smells nice, thick, hearty
beef
kidney beans
tomatoes
green peppers
cumin/chili powder/garlic/jalepeno's

any chili secrets i can put in last minute? (it's going on 6hours now)

also dehydrating a pineapple/pears and never did try apricot so trying now(ate it, never dehydrated it)
Corn
mushrooms
onion
black beans
red pepper
celery
bacon

Aint no rules I say.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's the half-aborted abomination of stew and chili. Get that shit out of here.

Oh, did you mean as additions? I can read.

Still, please don't put corn, mushrooms, or celery in your chili.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Corn is good in chili, but it doesn't really add a whole lot, you shouldn't miss it. Mushrooms would just disintegrate over time.