Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
i'm allergic to alcohol
suicide-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1386.gif

The Master

Bronze Squire
I tried making short ribs in 4 hours instead of the usual 8ish in the slow cooker, the results were acceptable but not as good. I really wish I had a slow cooker with a delayed start on it.
I used to use one those timers you plug into an outlet and then plug things into it on my old cheap slow cooker.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I tried making short ribs in 4 hours instead of the usual 8ish in the slow cooker, the results were acceptable but not as good. I really wish I had a slow cooker with a delayed start on it.
This is a wish that can be fulfilled for about $30 bucks.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah but a timer outlet won't work with my slow cooker, so I would have to get a new 'old' slow cooker. My current slow cooker does have a programmable feature, so I could set it to cook for 8 hours then switch to warm, but I am sure 4 hours in the 'warm' setting would dry the fuck out of the meat. It's a conundrum.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
14 hours out... I think it's safe to say Alton Brown killed Hekotat.
I think the garlic in the recipe was the only thing that saved me.

They turned out pretty good but I could not get the homemade sauce to thicken after an hour of simmering so I just went with a random BBQ sauce on the top and let them broil. They had a really good flavor but the homemade sauce thing pissed me off, lol.

I have 4 more large ribs I'm going to make this Friday and try a different approach on the sauce.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah but a timer outlet won't work with my slow cooker, so I would have to get a new 'old' slow cooker. My current slow cooker does have a programmable feature, so I could set it to cook for 8 hours then switch to warm, but I am sure 4 hours in the 'warm' setting would dry the fuck out of the meat. It's a conundrum.
Yeah, that's what I meant. $20 for a basic crock pot and $10 for the timer. The programmable shit is apparently doing nothing for you.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Sauce I used for reference, it sucks.

prodshot_bbq_southern.jpg
I'm not a fan of KC Masterpiece. As a matter of fact, it was always looked at as some kind of joke when it came out and I still lived in KC. If I'm not making my own, I use Sweet Baby Rays Sweet and Spicy. It's not really what I'd call a KC sauce either, but it'll do.

Hekotat

Unfortunately it was all I had in the fridge. I'm going to pick up something better when I take another run at them Friday.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I like the spicy KC style KC masterpiece sauce. I go with Sweet Baby Ray's if I want a sweet sauce. They are probably one of the worst BBQ places in KC though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I dont think KC Masterpiece even has a restaurant anymore, they closed down. They sucked. Most KC-area BBQ sauces come out of successful restaurants or competitive BBQ teams. KC Masterpiece was just made up by some random guy that didn't BBQ or anything, and then decades later they tried to create restaurants around the sauce that was already sold in stores, and they sucked. Kc Masterpiece might as well be Kraft BBQ sauce for as much as it has to do with real KC BBQ

Sweet Baby Rays is great, as is Gates(I think they sell it fairly nation-wide)

Vitality

HUSTLE
Have you guys tried the Jack Daniels brand bbq sauce? I kind of like it. I'm not much of a bbq sauce hipster though.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Sweet Baby Rays is great, as is Gates(I think they sell it fairly nation-wide)
I still like Gates sauce, it's probably my favorite. When we travel to New Mexico to see my dad and brother we have to take a case with us because it hasn't made it down there yet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
chili was nice, it wasn't spicy enough for my wife, or rather she wanted extra spice and put on some franks (we were deciding between franks and red devil, tabasco, franks won out)

any ideas on spice i should make next time

this was
1 TBS of chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp pakrika

and a few red pepper flakes and 1 jalepeno.

think a habenero would be overkill and drown out the flavor?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Franks is more spice? We're talking heat, right? I use Franks if I want my food to taste like vinegar. Tabasco ain't much better.

Habenero is not overkill. It can be, just control the amount correctly. Toward that end, I wouldn't put an actual habenero in the chili, but serve a habenero hot sauce with the chili. Few generous drops of that will spice up any serving of a dish.

Hekotat

Apparently I fucked up by getting country style ribs instead of baby backs or spare. The fail is strong with me.