Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It's pretty easy to make, you must have a meat slicer though. I've had to start making my own Giardiniera since I moved to Arizona since all the Giardiniera I can find out here is that bullshit packed in a pickling solution.
What kind of meat slicer? Like the deli one Kramer got in Seinfeld?!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
No shenanigans. I'm genuinely curious what kind of meat slicer you have.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just an under $100 Chef's choice meat slicer that I got from costco. Good for cutting those bricks of cheese and stuff that I get in bulk. I used to use a 40 dollar plastic one that worked just fine.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I had a meat slicer that I gave away because it was shite. Does the one you got from Costco go super thin, and does it bind up the motor on the heavy stuff?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I had a meat slicer that I gave away because it was shite. Does the one you got from Costco go super thin, and does it bind up the motor on the heavy stuff?
Yah it goes thin enough. I wouldn't call it super thin though. As long as I take my time it doesn't get jammed. When I cut the meat it's on the rare side so it slices pretty easy. The recipe I use cooks the meat in the oven in a roaster then you slice it when it cools down and you actually finish the cooking when you want by just submerging the meat in the Au jus you got from cooking it. That way you can make a bunch and freeze it and just make as much as you like when you want. I end up making meal kits of about 2 pounds with enough au jus for dipping and cooking.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
when i worked in a deli, some 20 odd years ago, the deli slicer was the scariest thing in my life, of course if you just watch the blade and use the feeding guard, no worries. of course this is an industrial machine so it'd slice through anything.

but could you explain the purpose of the meat slicer for Giardiniera, i've never made it, had it while in italy with various dishes. this is about the best vid i can find for it.

is it to try to get transparent cuts, can you just substitute a mandolin instead?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
when i worked in a deli, some 20 odd years ago, the deli slicer was the scariest thing in my life, of course if you just watch the blade and use the feeding guard, no worries. of course this is an industrial machine so it'd slice through anything.

but could you explain the purpose of the meat slicer for Giardiniera, i've never made it, had it while in italy with various dishes. this is about the best vid i can find for it.

is it to try to get transparent cuts, can you just substitute a mandolin instead?
I use the meat slicer for the beef not the Giardiniera. I use a food processor for that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
do you cut against or with the grain, or it doesn't matter really? when i used that deli slicer, mostly everything was just all one piece glob really, pastrami was difficult cuz of the grain. but then it could be cuz i was a weakass 14yr old.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
do you cut against or with the grain, or it doesn't matter really? when i used that deli slicer, mostly everything was just all one piece glob really, pastrami was difficult cuz of the grain. but then it could be cuz i was a weakass 14yr old.
Against.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Is there an app out there that like lets you input ingredients and it tells you dishes you can make with them?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Allrecipes.com does a similar thing. A lot of shitty recipes there, but a lot of good ones too.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
how do you guys shop? i usually hit a store every 4 days and, different stores to take advantage of the store sales. sometimes i'll bring a shoulder carry cooler with me, leave in car, now that it's summer,all the time.

usually i'll just cook that's about to expire first. if i have fresh squash and mushrooms and 3 day old brocolli, guess it's chicken and brocolli tonite.

i don't have set days to shop, really when the fridge is near empty and i can't prepare a decent meal, i'll try to go the day b4, or the day of, and i have a strict 20m or less rule for shopping, i already am familiar with my stores and i have the home delivered weekly specials ad, so i really try to get in and get out.

oh i also have a lazy susan in my fridge, kind of lets me fit more food and create a "last in first out" kind of thing, but admittedly not using it so well.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So had to make the italian beef after talking about it so much,

rrr_img_75669.jpg
rrr_img_75670.jpg
rrr_img_75671.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I bet that was awesome. What kind of Rotisserie is that? I've been thinking about getting one for my grill, but an indoor one would be nice, too.