Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had farro for the first time today, good stuff. Tastes lije brown rice but has a consistency that for some reason reminds me of super golden crisp.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I finally got my hands on some garden tomatoes today so I ate BLTs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Was at a restaurant last night(Houlihans) and ordered "pot roast mac & cheese" It was goddamned delicious, and basically exactly what it sounded like. Huge chunks of tender pot roast mixed in with home made mac and cheese and it had some scallions chopped on top.

I will be making this at home, it was damn, damn good. I love both of those things, not sure why I never thought to put them together.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How did I not know this existed? I must have one. Perfectly spreadable butter straight from the fridge.

psyIDyO.jpg

hhH8wtj.gif

The Master

Bronze Squire
You can grate it with a hand grater or get a butter keeper, as well. Lots of ways of having spreadable butter. Making whipped butter is my preference, the air makes it spreadable regardless of temp.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Oh, I have a butter keeper, and have spreadable butter, but I'm talking about those times when your kids all make toast for breakfast, and by the time I get to my own breakfast, the butter is gone, and I have to get some out of the fridge. This would be a lot easier than grating it. And I'm not a huge fan of whipped butter.

I have no experience with compound butters. Not something I've ever dabbled with, for some reason.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Fucking Beef is crazy expensive these days. We dont eat a lot of it around my house but now that its colder we usually do a pot roast or two every month. Well, looking around my local Kroger, the fucking Chuck roasts were like $5.99/lb. that shit is insane! I even looked at some "stewing beef" which is usually cutoff chunks of other cuts used for stews and shit, $5.29/lb. Fuck that noise. I remeber buying that shit at $3.99 and $2.59, respectively just last year. Is there some beef shortage or something im not aware of?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Yeah, beef prices are high, and I believe they claim it's cattle feed price related.

We got chuck roasts a few weeks ago for 2.98/lb, and stocked up. Watch newspaper fliers for sales. Also, sometimes places will sell beef from Mexico that is cheaper.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Going to make one of the most redneck dinners imaginable for dinner tonight.

Sloppy Joe Casserole.

1) Make sloppy joes as usual
(brown hamburger w/ onions and peppers to taste, add can of sloppy joe sauce, simmer for a few mintes)

Add in roughly 1/3 of a bar of cream cheese(I think thats 2-3oz) + can of corn(drained) Stir/mix until cream cheese is melted and spread through.

Pour concoction into 9x13 casserole dish, then top with frozen tater tots(enough to make almost a solid layer, but don't stack tots, they need room to cook)

Cover with 8 oz bag of shredded cheese (can use cheddar, colby jack, mexican blend, whatever you like)

bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.

So goddamned tasty. Basically tastes similar to chili-cheese tator tots if you ever get those at any restaurants or fast food places(Sonic)

I just top with sour cream once it's on my plate, and devour it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
After school today we made butternut squash ravioli. We'll have that with a meaty (pork and beef mince) tomato sauce made from tomatoes and basil and garlic from our garden. We also baked baguettes with which we're making garlic bread. Add to it the last of the green beans and a tomato and cucumber salad from the garden, and dessert is poached pears from the garden in a creamy blueberry sauce. It's a good day.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Fucking Beef is crazy expensive these days. We dont eat a lot of it around my house but now that its colder we usually do a pot roast or two every month. Well, looking around my local Kroger, the fucking Chuck roasts were like $5.99/lb. that shit is insane! I even looked at some "stewing beef" which is usually cutoff chunks of other cuts used for stews and shit, $5.29/lb. Fuck that noise. I remeber buying that shit at $3.99 and $2.59, respectively just last year. Is there some beef shortage or something im not aware of?
Cheese is about to (or already has) hit an all time record high as well.

I think some of it is related to China. They killed of a shit ton of cows a while back and beef/dairy has been skyrocketing ever since.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
from what i found out (stupid "news" blogs make you do those stupid surveys to see the full article) extreme weather Cali drought and other things have pushed the cattle population to an all time low of 1951 numbers.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The national beef supply is at it's lowest point in a long time. A lot of herds were liquidated due to extended drought in the south/southwest and with farmers/ranchers aging and a lack of young people to replace them, some of them are just not rebuilding their herds. In addition to that, imports are also very high due to places like China and India beginning to eat more meat. Also I believe there have been issues with pork due to disease problems. The only thing that is not a problem is feed prices right now as corn is dirt cheap. As a result, it's a very good time to be in the cattle business. In 2009 I sold steer calves for $99/cwt which was a money losing endeavor. Last year was by far the best price that we have ever gotten at $174/cwt. A month ago I contracted my steers for $277/cwt. That's going to result in some expensive beef prices at the store. I am concerned that it will reduce demand but I hope for my sake you guys will tough it out and keep eating steaks. We all know you don't want to eat fucking chicken all the time.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Grilled some swordfish last night. I loved it, GF hated it, too fishy for her. I must've fked it up and over cooked it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I love swordfish. Has a nice, fairly mild seafood flavor, but is fairly dense almost like a steak. If alligator is like a cross between fish and chicken, then swordfish is like a cross between fish and steak(beef)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The national beef supply is at it's lowest point in a long time. A lot of herds were liquidated due to extended drought in the south/southwest and with farmers/ranchers aging and a lack of young people to replace them, some of them are just not rebuilding their herds. In addition to that, imports are also very high due to places like China and India beginning to eat more meat. Also I believe there have been issues with pork due to disease problems. The only thing that is not a problem is feed prices right now as corn is dirt cheap. As a result, it's a very good time to be in the cattle business. In 2009 I sold steer calves for $99/cwt which was a money losing endeavor. Last year was by far the best price that we have ever gotten at $174/cwt. A month ago I contracted my steers for $277/cwt. That's going to result in some expensive beef prices at the store. I am concerned that it will reduce demand but I hope for my sake you guys will tough it out and keep eating steaks. We all know you don't want to eat fucking chicken all the time.
is it helping/hurting your business? or just rolling with the punches kind of thing?