Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I figured that's probably what it was, but it's diameter is a lot larger than the one I have. Mine is almost a string.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You guys weren't joking about the beef prices. I picked up a New York strip yesterday at whole foods for 20 bucks, they are usually around 10-12.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I figured that's probably what it was, but it's diameter is a lot larger than the one I have. Mine is almost a string.
does yours have a metal casing then? this probe with silicon works well for me it's actually part of this.
Amazon.com: Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer, Graphite color: Meat Thermometer: Kitchen Dining

they seem to be the more popular brand with replaceable probes, my previous one had a metal casing but frayed and died, but it was like 6 years old, couldn't find a replacement probe tho.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You guys weren't joking about the beef prices. I picked up a New York strip yesterday at whole foods for 20 bucks, they are usually around 10-12.
I was in Costco about 2 weeks ago and their KC Strip(screw you NY strip!) were still only $11.99 per lb. Not bad, the local grocery stores here are creeping up towards $14-$15 per lb.

About a month ago Costco had a great deal on Ribeyes, had them for $8.99 a lb, I loaded up with a few of those.

My *only* gripe about Costco is that all of their pre-packaged steaks come in packages of 3, and I only need to cook 2 at a time for my wife and I so I'm always torn as to what to do with that random extra steak. 1 extra steak isn't enough for a whole 2nd meal for the 2 of us, so I usually just end up freezing it until we get another pack of steaks and then we have a 2nd extra steak for a whole extra meal.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love living in Texas, beef and gas are always reasonable. NY Strip for $7.99 at grocery store yesterday and I thought it was too expensive.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Went to costco and got a 5.5lb pack of Tri-Tip steaks for ~$38 - two of the steaks had freezer burn (bottoms were off colored also) after closer inspection. Feel your meat before you buy it!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Went to costco and got a 5.5lb pack of Tri-Tip steaks for ~$38 - two of the steaks had freezer burn (bottoms were off colored also) after closer inspection. Feel your meat before you buy it!
If you weren't satisfied return that shit, they will take anything back.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Sale on a wide range of kitchen ware.
Chefs Catalog Online Sale: Items from $5 + Free Shipping on $25+ - CHEFS catalog Deals, Coupons and Promos

Anybody know anything about cast iron skillets? I've been wanting one but the price ranges are all over the place. A recommendation or info would be appreciated.
Buy Lodge, unless you want to really dig into it and go to garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, etc., trying to find some of the really old pieces that are a little thicker. If you just want to buy new straight-up cast iron, buy Lodge.

If you want enameled cast iron Le Creuset is the top of the line, but Lodge does that now to and it is basically 1/3rd the price. Just buy Lodge. If you happen to have a Le Creuset factory outlet near you, you can actually get it at something approaching a reasonable price. Otherwise, Lodge.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Don't do it. Shit's crap.

smile.png

On a happier note, my middle child (11) cooked dinner alone tonight. Mashed potatoes (I've had my butter quota for the year, I think) and Broccoli from the garden, and she wants to experiment with meatloaf, so she asked me to get her minced lamb, and she combined it with cranberries. It was pretty good.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
On a happier note, my middle child (11) cooked dinner alone tonight. Mashed potatoes (I've had my butter quota for the year, I think) and Broccoli from the garden, and she wants to experiment with meatloaf, so she asked me to get her minced lamb, and she combined it with cranberries. It was pretty good.
If I had that many kids, I'd never cook or do dishes. You've got a whole little indentured servant army.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
when do you guys think is a good time to teach kids knife skills? i saw a video ramsay home kitchen video one day and all his kids had terrible knife skills, and they all range in varying ages.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think it seriously depends on the kid. I trust my youngest with a knife, have since he was five. Not like I'm going to give him a pile of apples and walk out of the room, or anything. Be on top of it when you start, figure out what's safe. It's all about supervision.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, just have him chop something an see if he looks like he's going to lop off a finger or if he has it reasonably in control. Probably don't start him with a 12" chef's knife either.