Gravy's Cooking Thread

The Master

Bronze Squire
You can roast almost any squash and then use forks to scrape it and make what is essentially squash pasta noodles. Serve as if it was pasta. It is really good.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife was in love with this Lays/Frito whatever Southwestern Ranch dip. Does anyone have a good recipe for this?

We tried one that used some mayo in it and it made me sick.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Went to Moms after comiccon picked up mega squash as i left the house, tsp spoon for reference.
rrr_img_79625.jpg

The Master

Bronze Squire
My wife was in love with this Lays/Frito whatever Southwestern Ranch dip. Does anyone have a good recipe for this?

We tried one that used some mayo in it and it made me sick.
Real ranch (as in the original Hidden Valley recipe, which is a real place) has mayonnaise and buttermilk as the base. That is what gives it the tang and the heaviness, together. Some people use Sour Cream instead. So I'd just suggest finding a different recipe. But mostly "southwest" is just means taco seasoning. So if you want to it to be easy, go buy some ranch and some pre-made taco seasoning. Add one to the other till it tastes like what she wants. Remember ratio.

Generally taco seasoning is cumin, paprika, red pepper, cayenne, salt, pepper, and various dried herbs (oregano, chives, dill, parsley), and garlic powder.

So I'd start with that. Just find whatever method of making ranch works for you (either store bought or form scratch), find a taco seasoning mix you like (again, store bought or mixed together), and combine. Hope that helps, I know I rambled, I'm tired.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So a couple of weeks ago I decided to roast a chicken in the slow cooker for the first time. I did a basic salt, onion, garlic, etc rub and left it overnight in the fridge and cooked it the next day. Came out great the next day, the meat was salted perfectly. So this past week I forgot to do this the night before and hastily did the rub right before putting it in the slow cooker. Man what a difference. The chicken came out very bland with just a little trace of the seasoning. Everybody who ate it commented on how different it came out. Lesson learned I guess.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Asians will literally eat anything.Nothinggoes to waste in that part of the world.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Root vegetables roasted (beets, potatoes, and parsnips) with a bit of orange juice, cucumber and tomato with fresh mozzarella, and steak for dinner. We'll end with apple pie with home made vanilla ice cream. This is a good time of year!

Root vegetables roasted (beets, potatoes, and parsnips) with a bit of orange juice, cucumber and tomato with fresh mozzarella, and steak for dinner. We'll end with apple pie with home made vanilla ice cream. This is a good time of year!
this sounds like my meals lately since i've given up red meat & pigs.

everything but the steak, it's all good though.