Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It's actually pretty quick, as it cooks with contact, not just radiant through the air type heat. And you can cook anything in it.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I'm struggling to think of where else it would be adapted. Or did you mean outside of the kitchen?
Well, presumably it has a finer temperature control and efficiency over the technology we currently use for griddles. One of the main problems with home griddles right now is they don't pull enough electricity to keep the heat stable when food is added and they get hot spots because it is really just a single heating element that is placed equidistant from the middles and the sides. If that thing can cook a steak on household voltage and it is the entire surface that heats up? That'd be a huge step up for electric griddles. Waffle irons that could actually cook two waffles. Nothing I personally would probably get mind you, but any new technology is exciting.

I still wouldn't pay a grand for it, but new technology is always expensive to manufacture. Price per unit drops off pretty rapidly.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure that's a technology limitation but a circuit breaker limitation. Just two waffle irons can trip a circuit breaker.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Damnit, knew I should have double checked that before going off memory. Probably got the other reference wrong too.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I'm not sure that's a technology limitation but a circuit breaker limitation. Just two waffle irons can trip a circuit breaker.
If they are using some kind of semiconductor instead of a standard heating element, the amount of electricity needed should decrease. So the circuit breaker limitation doesn't come into play. That was my point. The article says it is a semiconductor. In general you are correct, the limitation is with the technologies currently used, there isn't enough wattage on a home circuit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, it's not even labeled as a microwave and is definitely less than 30s. I'll go kill myself now.

Where's the tech that lets me touch a cooked and rehydrated pizza immediately?

@Master:

I'm likely talking out my ass, but it seems to me that there isn't some magic leap in energy -> heat technology. A toaster is basically a big resistor. Replacing the resistive wire with a semiconductor isn't something special. When a semiconductor is conducting, it's essentially a resistor. Yeah yeah yeah, here come to 3-4 other people with hardware degrees to tell me there's parasitics to consider too.

The benefits of this design seem to come from more even heating, thus allowing direct contact and quicker cooking(you could probably get this with intricate wire design). Maybe the semiconducting allows them to only heat areas that are touching food? And it looks like it leaks less heat to the environment.

The article mentioned ~2 minutes to make toast. I'll admit I haven't timed my toast ever, but that doesn't seem like a huge time improvement.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That toaster looks awesome, but I am more shocked that they invented something in Italy.

The Master

Bronze Squire
It isn't magic, they did something to make it more efficient. Waffle Irons get to around ~350 f (which incidentally is why you can make nearly any baked good in a waffle iron, cakes, brownies, etc). Most electric skillets top out at 450 f. This thing is getting to 300 c, which is 527 f. On the same amount of current. It could be size, it is a thin layer of some superconducting material over a ceramic plate essentially. At least according to the video. Plus the fact that is is the entire surface heating up evenly puts it way ahead on the griddle front, even if otherwise it was identical. The temperature range and the evenness of the heat distribution are just big factors. Oh, it makes electric deep fryers more viable. The ceramic will provide "bounce" for when you add food, which is a problem home versions of electric deep fryers have (commercial ones run on 220v current, not an issue for them). Assuming is it safe to use when in contact with oil, of course.

I'm just speculating based on limited information, but since it is exceeding what is considered the "maximum" heat level of electric appliances on standard home current and that heating is completely even, it has potential uses outside of a toaster.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
my second attempt at an Astro-mboli. this time i used a dgiorno rising crust pizza with sausage and pepperoni. i think it came out better than the freschetta.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've used this recipe to make naan bread before and it turned out great to go along with my curries:Naan Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Couple of notes to add to it: Don't forget to proof your yeast with a little sugar instead of just letting it sit in warm water like the recipe instructs. Also, adding a little bit of baking soda--1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon helps the bread "bubble" up like you find in traditional grilled naan.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My wife was in love with this Lays/Frito whatever Southwestern Ranch dip. Does anyone have a good recipe for this?

We tried one that used some mayo in it and it made me sick.
1 packet of Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch powder/whatever its called
Plain greek yogurt or sour cream

I think that's it. My wife has been making it all the time lately too maybe she is pregnant.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That glass toaster is cool, but 1,000 bucks?! I think my toaster literally cost 8 bucks.

I did that oven cooked pulled pork from Gordon Ramsey over the weekend. It came out really good. The chipotle mayo was good shit as well.