Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I want to try that Gordon pulled pork, but the only pork but they sell over here are like 7-10 lbs. Way too much for that.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
For a family of 5? That's maybe 2 meals, tops(I'm assuming bone in). Plus, it freezes really well. Pulled pork is on the best dishes to prepare a ton ahead of time and then pull out on a weeknight.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
8 lbs of pulled pork is like a week of pulled pork dude. My kids are still pretty young, they don't eat that much.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Even better! Cook it up on Sunday, meals for the whole week. Or easy lunches for you.

You will lose quite a bit of weight to drained fat and moisture and possibly that bone. How big are their pigs down there? My wife and I have no problems cooking up a pork shoulder and saving the rest in the freezer.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
For a family of 5? That's maybe 2 meals, tops(I'm assuming bone in). Plus, it freezes really well. Pulled pork is on the best dishes to prepare a ton ahead of time and then pull out on a weeknight.
I'll disagree with this. I think pulled pork is best by a large margin when it's consumed the day it comes off the smoker. Of course, I'll guess that Gordon's recipe doesn't come off a smoker, so what the fuck, it ain't pulled pork anyway. BBQ elitist as fuck.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Shit is still pork and you pull it apart. It's pulled pork, just not smoked pulled pork.

Anyway, the Boston butt I had was 5 lbs and it fed my girlfriend, my mom, both sisters, one of my brothers and his girlfriend and myself. I think there was still a little left over, but I left it at my mom's. Note: none of us are fatasses, so it was basically a normal meal each, not a McCheese deluxe.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Note that I said pulled pork, not BBQ pulled pork. Freezing BBQ pulled pork will definitely ruin the bark, please don't do that. I can understand the assumption that all pulled pork is BBQ. That might even be a mishap on my part.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Now I'm sitting here curious about how many pounds of pulled pork I could put away in a single sitting...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Bro don't get me wrong, I could murder a couple of pounds solo, at a minimum. I just don't want to be that guy.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Shit is still pork and you pull it apart. It's pulled pork, just not smoked pulled pork.

Anyway, the Boston butt I had was 5 lbs and it fed my girlfriend, my mom, both sisters, one of my brothers and his girlfriend and myself. I think there was still a little left over, but I left it at my mom's. Note: none of us are fatasses, so it was basically a normal meal each, not a McCheese deluxe.
Hehe, I was just being a jackass anyway. I've had slow cooker pork that was very good.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Makes crispy skinned chicken then pours pan sauce over it. Can't explain that.

Besides that, it looks really good.

I need a good recipe for naan. Anyone?
here's your naan recipe -

flower
water

and a tandoor oven

tajmahal_tandoor_gc.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Going German tonight, pork chops cooked in apples and red cabbage. The house smells like feet.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Note that I said pulled pork, not BBQ pulled pork. Freezing BBQ pulled pork will definitely ruin the bark, please don't do that. I can understand the assumption that all pulled pork is BBQ. That might even be a mishap on my part.
Ruined bark or no, it still sounds like some pretty strong leftovers to me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've done cast-iron skillet with roast veggies on a tray pan, this takes it to a whole new level. As he says, it's more of a technique than a recipe.

The Food Lab: Make This Crisp-Skinned Chicken and Roast Vegetables in One Cast Iron Skillet | Serious Eats
too much work, lots of ins and outs and watching over the food.

i'll take the beer can chicken approach.

note i used to do first 30mins at 500degrees, but that created way too much smoke. so now before i put the chicken in at 350, i use a torch all over the chicken to give it a nice brown look. whats cool is if you apply direct flame to a bird, the skin instantly shrinks, you can see it constrict.