Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Mac and Cheese in a crock pot sounds like a bad idea to me. Won't the noodles just be really, really overcooked by the time it's done? Please report back. In theory it's a great idea. I'd like to know how it works out.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, any kind of pasta overcooked is terrible and if it's not cooking long, what is the point of using a crockpot?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've done crock-pot lasagna, but then again, lasagna noodles take a LONG time to cook if you aren't boiling them first. They need several hours to soften up when you're cooking in a crockpot.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have some friends that make crock pot mac and cheese and it is delicious. I don't think the pasta really gets overcooked if you're on low. Don't have a recipe though sorry.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Crockpot mac and cheese should be okay as long as you don't turn the heat up too high after you cook the noodles and everything separate.

I do this with Chili Mac often, no one really gives a crap if macaroni noodles get overcooked, just don't let it scorch and turn into cheese cement.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
At this point, I think we can all agree that everything is better with sous vide. Cooking, sleeping, car maintenance, sex.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Have you ever wiped your ass by dipping it in a sous vide bath? Heaven!

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It doesn't matter, the sous vide water is on the outside of the bag remember? Food never touches it. Please support my kickstarter for my new toilet bowl sous vide machine.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
It doesn't matter, the sous vide water is on the outside of the bag remember? Food never touches it. Please support my kickstarter for my new toilet bowl sous vide machine.
I can totally see this being some hipster/yuppie thing.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Alton Brown method steak tonight.

EfUD1iy.jpg

My phone takes horrid pictures indoors.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Speaking of steak cooking methods, I tried out that food lab frozen steak method and it was one of the best steaks I've ever cooked at home. Perfectly medium rare throughout with almost no grey band at all. I actually couldn't believe it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Speaking of steak cooking methods, I tried out that food lab frozen steak method and it was one of the best steaks I've ever cooked at home. Perfectly medium rare throughout with almost no grey band at all. I actually couldn't believe it.
Agree, I've done it twice now and each time came out amazing, the entire steak was pink/red with basically zero grey band, yet I was able to sear the holy shit out of the exterior of the steak. Perfect steak in 10 minutes or less on a super-hot grill.