Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Bros my new oven arrived and... the mother fucking cock sucking plug is the opposite direction of the other one. Meaning there is a big gap behind the oven because I can't push it all the way back because the way the plug goes into the outlet leaves the plug and cable coming out the top. The only way to fix it is to flip the outlet, which I am entirely unqualified to do I would think. It's always something, shit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Bros my new oven arrived and... the mother fucking cock sucking plug is the opposite direction of the other one. Meaning there is a big gap behind the oven because I can't push it all the way back because the way the plug goes into the outlet leaves the plug and cable coming out the top. The only way to fix it is to flip the outlet, which I am entirely unqualified to do I would think. It's always something, shit.
Flipping a standard outlet falls into "easiest DIY job ever" category. Not sure about the special outlets you need for washer/dryer... do ovens use the same outlets?

Just shut off your electricity, pull the outlet out, flip it, put it back in, turn electricity back on. And by "turn off your electricity" I mean turn the breaker/fuse switch that feeds that section of your house off.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, you seem like a pretty smart guy. Just make sure the power is off at the breaker, and pull that fucker apart. You can do that, for sure.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
To be fair, being weary of electrical work is understandable if you have no experience. And it may even be worse if you're smarter. Fuck up the wiring now, start an electrical fire 3 months from now when something finally snaps. Really easy to know you might not know how to do it correctly but still conjure up scenarios of how it might fuck up.

That's basically why I haven't run electrical to my coat closet even though it desperately needs a light.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I called an electrician and he walked me through it on the phone I was like "Oh, well shit..."

Easiest diy job ever.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah I called an electrician and he walked me through it on the phone I was like "Oh, well shit..."

Easiest diy job ever.
You did the smart thing. Don't assume shit is easy and end up with a fucking pile of ash for a house.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
To be fair, being weary of electrical work is understandable if you have no experience. And it may even be worse if you're smarter. Fuck up the wiring now, start an electrical fire 3 months from now when something finally snaps. Really easy to know you might not know how to do it correctly but still conjure up scenarios of how it might fuck up.

That's basically why I haven't run electrical to my coat closet even though it desperately needs a light.
Amazon.com - Danibos Wireless 8-LED Light Lamp PIR Sensitive Auto Sensor Motion Detector Super Light (2, White) -

it's white LED so nice and bright, ir activated, also photo sensitive so won't light up when there is light, and battery compartment opens from the front, easy to change. i used 3m hanger tape, the ones provided suck.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not sure if this should go in the cooking thread or elsewhere, so neg me if you feel the need.

I am temporariy in an apartment for 3 months and I'm looking for meals I can cook in a small kitchen somewhat quickly. Maybe stuff I can eat the next day. It's a nice kitchen but it's not what I am used to cooking on. It's all electric of course even tho they bill it as a "luxury apartment", but whatever.

I could eat out every day for lunch if I desire and it's on the company bill for the next 3 months but that gets old kind of quick. I have an hour for give or take and have a <5 minute commute currently so coming home is always an option. But would like the idea of cooking a meal and just taking left overs, or eat them at home the next day during lunch. However most of my "cooking" normally revolves around much larger meals.

I really don't know where to begin since I normally cook more "elaborate" meals being part coon ass. I am making jambalaya for tonight and that will be 4+ meals in itself.

Small/quick ideas that don't involve just nuking everything in the microwave?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Do you have a slow cooker or a dutch oven? There is a chicken recipe in the first post of this thread that I do often. Also braised short ribs, chili, red beans and rice, spaghetti, these are all things I generally make because they make a lot and I have leftovers for work/leftover dinner night. Granted those aren't "quick" meals really, but the active cooking time is pretty low.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I really don't have anything currently except pots/pans because it's a fully furnished apartment. All my stuff is being moved out here when I buy a house.

I could pick up a cheap slow cooker easily enough. That's probably a pretty good idea.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm making those carnitas again, and gonna go for the salsa verde with it also. Anything else I should do while they're cooking?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I really don't have anything currently except pots/pans because it's a fully furnished apartment. All my stuff is being moved out here when I buy a house.

I could pick up a cheap slow cooker easily enough. That's probably a pretty good idea.
time to google the nearest salvation army/thrift store? 5$ crock pot!

The Master

Bronze Squire
Not sure if this should go in the cooking thread or elsewhere, so neg me if you feel the need.

I am temporariy in an apartment for 3 months and I'm looking for meals I can cook in a small kitchen somewhat quickly. Maybe stuff I can eat the next day. It's a nice kitchen but it's not what I am used to cooking on. It's all electric of course even tho they bill it as a "luxury apartment", but whatever.

I could eat out every day for lunch if I desire and it's on the company bill for the next 3 months but that gets old kind of quick. I have an hour for give or take and have a <5 minute commute currently so coming home is always an option. But would like the idea of cooking a meal and just taking left overs, or eat them at home the next day during lunch. However most of my "cooking" normally revolves around much larger meals.

I really don't know where to begin since I normally cook more "elaborate" meals being part coon ass. I am making jambalaya for tonight and that will be 4+ meals in itself.

Small/quick ideas that don't involve just nuking everything in the microwave?
Caveat: I had a rice cooker that could keep rice good for ~4 days, but when I was living alone once for a while I got in the habit of making multiple marinades for chicken, splitting them up into one size servings, and fridge them. Take out, cook, put on already made rice, garnish with fresh herbs/acid, eat. Very fast, already portioned, etc. That was lunch every day.

Since I did the marinades in batches I'd cut up garlic/onions/aromatics and sweat them, then add right to the bag, the double cooking and a fine mince usually resulted in them completely disintegrating as the chicken cooked, resulting in a pretty nice sauce for the rice. So I did prep/portioning on the weekends and then the weekday was easy. Hopefully I'm making sense, I'm a little loopy from lack of sleep. You can do endless combinations of oils, spices, etc., to get a ton of different marinades.

On a related note, the Flavor Bible is a book I reference a lot but keep forgetting to mention. It isn't a cookbook per se, basically you look up an ingredient and it gives you all the matching flavors+combinations. It was based on interviews of hundreds of chefs and lots of research into nearly every major cultures traditional recipes/flavor combos. Very, very useful when making things up.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
that looks yummy. Chef John sounds a little like kermit the frog, lol, cool site tho
I've been following his channel for a month or so now, and he has some really solid recipes. He makes dad jokes all the time, which I appreciate.

Results:
(picture quality: potato)

B1IIQNs.png

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Hubby is sick, so I decided to make him "Benihana" chicken soup (onion soup)

6 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of water
1 1/2 white onions, chopped
6 celery stalks chopped
6 large carrots chopped

Slow cook for 2+ hours and strain.

Place desired amount of soup in pot, bring to a boil. Cut cooked chicken and place in pot. Add dumplings to it if desired:

Dumplings Recipe - Allrecipes.com