Gravy's Cooking Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I never have issues cleaning anything out of my stainless steel wares. I have a good nylon scrub brush, nylon scrubbing pad, and if it's extreme I bust out stainless steel souring pad.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Our microwave has a rice button on it. Tried it once, been using it since. Perfect every time.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Not sure how, but the carnitas just didn't turn out as well, and the salsa verde is bland as hell
frown.png

It was a decent meal (and my wife who hates flavor/sauce/mexican/flavor/me even liked the carnitas), but it wasn't as good as when I first made it
Carnitas are a bit tough to get right, especially if you're doing the pork whole without any post cooking seasoning.

I guess my best advice for getting it to come out right is to give some of the lean pork you pull off the shoulder a quick sear with a little left over fat and some nice seasoning (cumin/cilantro/lime/cayenne/chili powder/garlic powder etc)

If the pork comes out super liquid style then add some cornstarch to the dry season blend (not much) and it should help the liquid stick to the meat better.

Lime + cilantro in a salsa verda go a long ways for me. Also tomatillo, scoop out the fresh tomatillo meat and use it for a nice zing, don't add the skin as it's hard to eat.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Here's another chocolate peanut butter swirl one I made a while back. For the Super Bowl I'm going to make a raspberry swirl for the first time.

rrr_img_88861.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Not sure if this should go in the cooking thread or elsewhere, so neg me if you feel the need.

I am temporariy in an apartment for 3 months and I'm looking for meals I can cook in a small kitchen somewhat quickly. Maybe stuff I can eat the next day. It's a nice kitchen but it's not what I am used to cooking on. It's all electric of course even tho they bill it as a "luxury apartment", but whatever.

I could eat out every day for lunch if I desire and it's on the company bill for the next 3 months but that gets old kind of quick. I have an hour for give or take and have a <5 minute commute currently so coming home is always an option. But would like the idea of cooking a meal and just taking left overs, or eat them at home the next day during lunch. However most of my "cooking" normally revolves around much larger meals.

I really don't know where to begin since I normally cook more "elaborate" meals being part coon ass. I am making jambalaya for tonight and that will be 4+ meals in itself.

Small/quick ideas that don't involve just nuking everything in the microwave?
Do you have a crockpot? Here is a super simple recipe that will give you mexican-ish fixings for days:

Step 1: Put Boneless Chicken Breasts in crockpot.
Step 2: Put enough salsa to cover the chicken in crockpot
Step 3: Set on low and ignore for 8ish hours.
Step 4: Shred chicken use it and make tacos, nachos, enchiladas, etc.

Option Step 5: Slice some peppers and onions up, heat in a skillet with some olive oil until tender and throw in crockpot with chicken when it is 30-60 minutes away from being done.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Bros, it's supposed to snow like the dickens (turduckens?) here the next few days so I made some bangin chili. But I used canned tomatoes so I don't know if I'm allowed to post here.

Chopped garlic, jalapenos, dried habaneros, green bell peppers, yellow and red onion, cumin, a touch of cardamom, fresh ground black pepper, cayenne, chili powder, 3 lbs of 75/25 ground beef, basil, oregano, one bay leaf and a whole can of chipotles packed in adobo and of course the canned, peeled tomatoes (and some tomato paste).

I'm gonna be poopin' so much.

Vitality

HUSTLE
inb4 The Master with a post of gold on tomatoes:

To my understanding:

Canned tomatoes are canned and sealed immediately after being picked most of the time (or within a short period of time)

"fresh" tomatoes are actually a lot less fresh and more often than not under or over-ripe and harder to work with out side of raw consumption (pico/salsas etc) where you can acid cook them somewhat without over working the already over-ripe meat.

I for one always use canned tomatoes + tomato paste in my chili.

Fresh tomatoes only seem to impart differences in flavor when eaten fresh in a pico (imo) of which I choose the heirloom variety (Black Zebra and variants of it).

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
lurking grows his tomatoes, so he has achieved tomato-hipster certification.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
That's Doctor Hipster Tomato Certification, thank you very much. I didn't go to Hipster Tomato school for four years for nothing.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why is there so much "white noise" in that video? I wonder what kind of rice burner (motorcycle, but it's the cooking thread) that was in the background.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Carnitas are a bit tough to get right, especially if you're doing the pork whole without any post cooking seasoning.

I guess my best advice for getting it to come out right is to give some of the lean pork you pull off the shoulder a quick sear with a little left over fat and some nice seasoning (cumin/cilantro/lime/cayenne/chili powder/garlic powder etc)

If the pork comes out super liquid style then add some cornstarch to the dry season blend (not much) and it should help the liquid stick to the meat better.

Lime + cilantro in a salsa verda go a long ways for me. Also tomatillo, scoop out the fresh tomatillo meat and use it for a nice zing, don't add the skin as it's hard to eat.
It's the recipe from the first page.

But yeah, I think it's missing both the lime and cilantro (though I'm adding lime and cilantro to the taco itself, but then the salsa doesn't have those flavors). The salsa verde was easy because I just blend the shit out of everything so it's smooth (wooo immersion blender). I think I just need to season the pork better, but I want to go on the more mild flavor for the kids/wife.

Vitality

HUSTLE
It's the recipe from the first page.

But yeah, I think it's missing both the lime and cilantro (though I'm adding lime and cilantro to the taco itself, but then the salsa doesn't have those flavors). The salsa verde was easy because I just blend the shit out of everything so it's smooth (wooo immersion blender). I think I just need to season the pork better, but I want to go on the more mild flavor for the kids/wife.
On the mild side of thing, I'd just salt and lime (lime salt?) the pork at that point then. Can't really do much to carnitas on the mild side of things outside of that (even garlic can make it a bit off if used by itself).

Seems like you had the right idea though, just constrained by your audience.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My mother bought my wife and I a Calphalon set of pots and pans for Christmas a few years back. We've never had a "good" set of cookware previously. Anyway, this set is awesome. They had a special where if you gave them back all of the pots and pans that you're replacing, they would send you out a special thing (I don't even remember what it was). Anyway, that special piece went to my mother, and we have no complaints. My wife is an awesome chef. I've never really tried cooking anything but scrambled eggs (I'm fucking awesome at scrambled eggs), so I've always been intimidated in making a would be delicious meal into complete shit.

Anyway, Calphalon is good stuff. And our Zojiroshi rice cooker is totally tits. Granted, my wife is Japanese, and that's what her mom has over in Japan, but I have absolutely no complaints with that thing. We had a cheapy rice cooker when we first got married, and it would always bubble over, making a mess. That's never been an issue with the Zoji.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And our Zojiroshi rice cooker is totally tits. Granted, my wife is Japanese, and that's what her mom has over in Japan, but I have absolutely no complaints with that thing. We had a cheapy rice cooker when we first got married, and it would always bubble over, making a mess. That's never been an issue with the Zoji.
Well she's japanese, every jap i know has a zojiroshi, does she have a bumpy plastic spoon for rice?
Amazon.com: Japanese Rice Spatula: Rice Spautula: Kitchen Dining

It's amazing, rice doesn't stick to it b/c on the surface it looks like a sex toy, but fuck it, it changed the way i spoon out rice.