Gravy's Cooking Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I actually make a retardedly easy french onion soup. Caramelize a chopped onion. Deglaze with 2/3 cup of red wine. Add beef broth. Reduce until desired tastiness.

Stale bread and swiss, mozz, or (insert cheese here) for the cheezy broiled goodness.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I am a total cumwhore for Chicken Tikki Masala. I'm going to have to try and make it myself using that recipe. Would be nice not having to order takeout anymore, haha.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well I made chicken and sausage jambalya. Now I can feed 1/2 the office for the coming week or myself for the month.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I was going to buy a whole new set of pots and pans today to complement the new stove. I am rocking a 8 year old set of Cooks from JC Penney's, anodized aluminum nonstick with glass lids. Not oven safe, tons of scratches and stuff, and two of the pans have slightly warped bottoms. But the only set they had at the store that I wanted wasthis 400 dollar Calphalon setso... maybe a different approach. I am thinking instead of getting a set I may just get individual pieces. Or maybe just wait and get that set, it looks ok and gets good reviews.

Now that I will have ventilation I am considering a hanging pot rack, as well. The thing stopping me before was that I didn't want to do anything like that before I had a chance to repaint and deal with the grease/steam/gunk situation that can occur. So after the ventilation install it is paint/cabinet refacing and/or new countertop time and then maybe a pot rack.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Check out some local thrift stores. I got my whole calphalon set for about 90 bucks total. All the pieces are in good shape and barely scratched. Had to go to a few different stores for different pieces but it was worth it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was going to buy a whole new set of pots and pans today to complement the new stove. I am rocking a 8 year old set of Cooks from JC Penney's, anodized aluminum nonstick with glass lids. Not oven safe, tons of scratches and stuff, and two of the pans have slightly warped bottoms. But the only set they had at the store that I wanted wasthis 400 dollar Calphalon setso... maybe a different approach. I am thinking instead of getting a set I may just get individual pieces. Or maybe just wait and get that set, it looks ok and gets good reviews.

Now that I will have ventilation I am considering a hanging pot rack, as well. The thing stopping me before was that I didn't want to do anything like that before I had a chance to repaint and deal with the grease/steam/gunk situation that can occur. So after the ventilation install it is paint/cabinet refacing and/or new countertop time and then maybe a pot rack.
We have that calphalon set. No complaints.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been following his channel for a month or so now, and he has some really solid recipes. He makes dad jokes all the time, which I appreciate.

Results:
(picture quality: potato)

B1IIQNs.png
Looks good. I am already planning on making it next weekend.

How do you (or anyone) make rice? I've been making it the past couple weekends and it always ends up mushy and clumpy. I think I am overcooking it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Rice cookers are a godsend. But, if you want to use a pot, always double the water. 1:2 rice/water ratio. Unless you're using brown rice, then you add an extra cup of water.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have that same dish set, and it's ok. Over the years, I've just determined I'm terrible to Teflon or any non-stick surface. I don't ever pay attention to utensils I'm using, and inevitably gets a scratch, that fucks the whole thing up. I used to want fancy bad ass pots and pans, but now, it's one of those things that I just don't give a flip anymore.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Looks good. I am already planning on making it next weekend.

How do you (or anyone) make rice? I've been making it the past couple weekends and it always ends up mushy and clumpy. I think I am overcooking it.
Today I just used some leftover minute rice. 1:1 rice to water. Bring water to boil, add rice, put on lid, remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There are a lot of different types of rice, for different applications dishes.
for instance short grain rice is usually used for risotto
while long grain is usually the fluffy kind, i guess like uncle bens (i hate long grain)
jasmine rice you usually see in indian/thai, looks like a sliver.

my current favorite rice to use is medium grain rice also known as japanese rice.
Good brands are
kokuho rose
botan
nishiki

surprisingly walmart carries botan and kokuho at 1.15ish a lb, which is only a few cents more than if you got it at an asian supermarket/grocer
i ususually get nishiki

wash the rice in a colander/strainer, you'll see the water get less cloudy, this is the talc/starch washing away, just 20-30s is fine.

put it in your rice cooker, i usually fill it up half an inch past the rice or less, i drizzle 4 drops of sesame oil (or even incorporate sesame seeds) into the rice, it'll smell amazing.

i have 2 rice cookers, a nearly 15yr old version of this panasonic my sister gave me at 21 when i moved out
Amazon.com: Panasonic SR-3NA Automatic 1.5 Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker: Kitchen Dining
this one i use daily

and also another rice cooker my sister gave me a zojirushi
Amazon.com: Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Premium White, 1.0-Liter: Rice Cookers Zojirushi: Kitchen Dining
this one i use when i cook up sushi rice or i need more than 2 cups of rice, it's also big so it takes up counter space and is put on the top shelf.
zojirushi's are basically the Bently's of rice cooking, i don't know about other brands but that panasonic i'd say is awesome.

before my 20's i'd cook rice in a regular steel pot, probably burn it once a month, it does leave extra crispy rice on the bottom, but fuck that, always rice cooker.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Not sure how, but the carnitas just didn't turn out as well, and the salsa verde is bland as hell
frown.png

It was a decent meal (and my wife who hates flavor/sauce/mexican/flavor/me even liked the carnitas), but it wasn't as good as when I first made it

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Rice cookers are a godsend. But, if you want to use a pot, always double the water. 1:2 rice/water ratio. Unless you're using brown rice, then you add an extra cup of water.
Do this and it works like a charm. Can also substitute water for broth for flavor.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Actually the weird thing about rice is that as you add more rice, the ratio changes. So if you're making rice on the stove you can't just use a fixed ratio (rice cookers already take this into account with their lines).

1 cups rice: 1.5 cups water.
2 cups rice: 2.75 cups water
3 cups rice: 3.5 cups water.

If you're making it on a stove, get the ratio right, make sure it is covered and don't uncover it till done, bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, let it steam, don't mix it when it is done. Or buy a rice cooker, which is what I always recommend.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The only time i ever cook rice in a pot is when i'm making congee, then it's like a 1:6 ratio of rice to water, yup 1cup rice to 6cups water(liquid).

Kuriin

Just a Nurse

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have like a $15 rice cooker from Walmart that has made all of my rice for the last 8 years or so. Unitasker it may be, but the rice is perfect every time and you don't even have to think about it.