Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Serious pet question, any of you cook food for your pets? When I had my dog for 10years i only fed him dog food, never table scraps ever, except the thanksgiving turkey (vet said he was healthy), he got the BigC, recovered and i was told i have to cook him food so his medicine could be mixed in, it never crossed my mind to cook for my dog, but fuck it, i loved the bastard doctors orders.

Ended up mixing in 1/3 rice, 1/3 mixed vegs, 1/3 meat, i'd either steam or boil the shit, now boiled chicken tastes nasty, just to eat and meat too, but i wasn't gonna panfry or grill anything for him either cuz i didn't want him to have the carcinogens, fuck he was already recovering from cancer, fuck that. (i cooked for him for a year until the cancer came back)

Anyway i was thinking, sous vide for your pets! that has got to be better.

Also all dog food is probably bad, a while back i chatted up a VP of a major dog food, one thing he told me is that the food has to be human edible, he's eaten(along with various other high level ppl) dog food right off the belt to test it for quality, it actually tastes good cuz it's meant to stimulate the dogs smell and taste into overdrive so dog will keep on eating. This is b/c it's formulated to show the customer that "look dog loves this food keep on buying this brand", b/c that's the only thing you can show for immediate effect. Nearly all research budget is just to get the dog to eat the food, not much left over to formulate an actual healthy formula.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
On the weekend I bought a nice set of stainless steel mixing bowls. There's something awesome about stainless steel mixing bowls that I can't quite put my finger on.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have one large stainless mixing bowl that I use all the time. I should get a few more of different sizes.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just put about any meat in a slow cooker and forget about it for 10 hours and you will get it stringy. I'm sure someone will follow up with science and shit but that's basically how you do it.
That can't be right. Every time I make stew, I have it in the crock pot for a minimum of 14 hours, and I've never gotten stringy meat.

Based on what you guys have said, and from talking to the cook who made the stew a few days ago, the key is high heat. He said any meat will do that if you cook it hot enough, but I'm guessing leaner meat does it better and quicker. That kinda sucks, because that is the antithesis of my stew cooking. I do have a pressure cooker, maybe I can try to pre-cook the meat till its stringy and then make the stew like normal the next day.

Never personally prepared venison, but apparently my coworkers are terrible at it. I've worked with elk a few times, so I'm not unfamiliar with super-lean beasts.
Elk meat isn't called venison?

Serious pet question, any of you cook food for your pets? When I had my dog for 10years i only fed him dog food, never table scraps ever, except the thanksgiving turkey (vet said he was healthy), he got the BigC, recovered and i was told i have to cook him food so his medicine could be mixed in, it never crossed my mind to cook for my dog, but fuck it, i loved the bastard doctors orders.

Ended up mixing in 1/3 rice, 1/3 mixed vegs, 1/3 meat, i'd either steam or boil the shit, now boiled chicken tastes nasty, just to eat and meat too, but i wasn't gonna panfry or grill anything for him either cuz i didn't want him to have the carcinogens, fuck he was already recovering from cancer, fuck that. (i cooked for him for a year until the cancer came back)
My mother in law does, or did. I'm not sure if she still does because the dog she started doing it for is dead now. Her story was similar in that she needed to do it to get the dog to take medicine. When that dog got 1000% better in only a few days, she started cooking for all of her dogs and they all got healthier and happier. I think she had the same ratios as you, but it looked like she pan fried the meat.
She actually ate it too sometimes.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
According to wiki, venison means meat from pretty much any game, but it says that in north America it's come to basically mean meat from a deer. As someone completely ignorant to hunting, I've always thought it was deer when someone says venison.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
According to wiki, venison means meat from pretty much any game, but it says thatin north America it's come to basically mean meat from a deer. As someone completely ignorant to hunting, I've always thought it was deer when someone says venison.
As long as elk is considered a deer, then that's the way I understand the word too. I don't think I could name all the breeds that I think venison might be. Around here when you see venison for sale, it generally means elk, because you're not allowed to sell meat from native game animals.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
As long as elk is considered a deer, then that's the way I understand the word too. I don't think I could name all the breeds that I think venison might be. Around here when you see venison for sale, it generally means elk, because you're not allowed to sell meat from native game animals.
When I was working with it 6 years ago (I haven't purchased it for home use) our wild game supplier didn't refer to it as venison. Probably having to do with the concept that locally it means "deer" and that specific restaurant was a on the higher end scale, so they most likely just wanted that distinction. When my coworker would give me venison after one of his hunting debacles, he didn't really differentiate if he got it from elk or a deer, and I could only compare it loosely to elk due to the way the guy cooked it. At the time I was Eureka, CA, so it might just be a local thing up there to specify the difference.

And yeah, I'm with Soy, I didn't know it could be used to refer to anything but normal "rats with hooves" hah. (thanks Louis C.K.)

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had a cut at a restaurant called saddle of elk and it was awesome. Will try to dig up a picture

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Saddle is a particular part.

LCUK18N.gif

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
That doesn't look like it applies to deer. The saddle would be taken partly from backstrap and partly from skirt steak or rib meat. Unless it's put together completely different from Axis and whitetail. I've never butchered an elk.

Axis are kinda fun for traumatizing kids. Even as adults they are spotted, and they breed all year long. So basically anytime you shoot a doe, it will likely have a fetus. We got one this year and the fetus plopped right out. We threw it away with the guts and my wife wanted to know why we didn't butcher it too. It just never occurred to us.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I am around tons of hunters and at least around here if they say venison they mean deer. Elk meat is usually just referred to as "elk". Elk tastes way better than deer so calling it all venison is a disservice to elk.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Good news, if you like to dine on swine:

Hog futures prices hit a four-year low this past week. A strong dollar has made U.S. pork more costly than meat from competing countries, which has led to a slowdown in exports, especially to China. And cargo slow-downs due to a labor dispute at West Coast ports has left stocks of pork products piling up.

Pork prices followed beef prices to record high levels last year, as the cattle herd shrank and a swine virus diminished the U.S. hog herd. Pork prices have since fallen, but U.S. consumers that had switched to chicken are not yet returning to "the other white meat," say retail food analysts.

Boneless pork loin prices have fallen more than 15 percent at retailers in the past two months alone, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture last month predicted U.S. hog prices will drop 17.5 percent overall this year.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Over the weekend I made pork ala the carnitas recipe for use in making Cuban sandwiches by modifying the baked ham and cheese sandwiches recipe in the original post. It was fucking phenomenal. I wish I could eat that stuff every single day.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I bet that was really good. Did you use the King's Hawaiian buns?

I love cuban sammiches.