Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Made a successful risotto tonight for the first time. I've only tried it once before and I used Emeril's recipe, he had a bunch of cheeses. It was awful, too cheesy, stunk up my whole house like cheese. So tonight I just cooked it and put a little parmesan in it, used garlic instead of onions. Shit was awesome. But my arm is fucking tired.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Made a successful risotto tonight for the first time. I've only tried it once before and I used Emeril's recipe, he had a bunch of cheeses. It was awful, too cheesy, stunk up my whole house like cheese. So tonight I just cooked it and put a little parmesan in it, used garlic instead of onions. Shit was awesome. But my arm is fucking tired.
I seem recall that you and your wife hate onions right? You're supposed to use both onions and garlic, at least in all the recipes I have come across. Kinda burnt myself on risotto though. Need to find a good variation on it. I heard some Italians put saffron in it. Goes good with spinach as well, just have to put it in towards the end or it will taint the risotto green.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I don't really do onions. Most of the time I sub garlic for it and the recipes turn out well. I used about 5-6 cloves of garlic. But I also really like a strong garlic taste. I really wanted to do some kind of mushroom risotto because I really love mushrooms, but I wanted to get the basic down first. I'll probably try that in a few weeks.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Aren't onions part of the basic foundation for a risotto? Onions, butter, wine, stock, and rice?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, but what do they add besides a flavor and texture that I find offensive? Screw you guys, I like my fauxsotto.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I don't really do onions.
I don't think this is the right thread for you. There's a reason it(or the leek) is basis of a LOT of cooking in most European cultures. I want to say some Eastern Asian ones too, but my wiki-fu is failing me.

French onion soup? Caramalized onions? How can you hate onions?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, bro I created this thread
wink.png
I'm ok with it, I try everything I can, I just have never liked onions. If I learned to cook them I might like them now, I don't know. But I doubt it, I still find just the smell pretty awful. It is only specific onions, white or yellow. Scallions and red onions are much milder and I like them fine.

I have managed to cook all kinds of dishes without onions or subbing something else, it has mostly always worked out.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I am dubious to your substitution claims. But, you can make french onion soup with red onions, so you should give that a try. Caramalized onions too. Use it as a condiment for steak, it's excellent. Or as the mayonnaise layer on your hamburger. Or just put it on your pizza with sriracha. Make sure you cook up a whole bunch at once. Caramalizing onions is a pain and takes a while. 6 large onions will condense down into a small tupperware and keep forever because of the sugar concentration.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A for instance: I make a BANGIN chicken pot pie. I've had people tell me it was literally the best thing they've ever eaten. I sub fresh garlic for onions and no one ever misses the onions, I've seriously never had a negative word said about that dish except for the time I tried to do more veggies and put broccoli in it. Ugh, no bueno.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Totally wrong application for broccoli. Cook time is WAY too long. Came out mushy, didn't it? Quick blanche or baked in the oven drizzled with some oil is how broccoli should be cooked.

Have you tried onion powder?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Mushy and very bitter. Actually it was so bitter that it turned the entire dish bitter. It was a learning experience, though.

Yeah I use onion powder in marinades and chili, stuff like that. Onion powder has kind of a muted onion taste.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Cooked onions taste completely different than raw onions. I guarantee that almost any sauce (Marinara, alfredo, etc.) you have ever eaten in a restaurant has onions in it. Also, some onions are stronger than others. If you cut into one and it has a real hot, pungent smell, you should probably use less than you would if it doesn't.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally tried Thomas Keller's macaron recipe from the Bouchon cookbook and fuck two batches into the garbage. Weird consistency too doughy and not sweet enough for me, gonna go back to the old recipe. Anyone else tried this and gotten good results?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll look into it, been using a generic recipe for a few years and got good results, thought I would try someone Keller's, everyone raves about bouchon.

Thanks