Gravy's Cooking Thread

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Canned green beans are pretty much a different vegatable then fresh. Made some pizza beans with fresh green beans for my daughetrs friends and they had no fucking clue that they were green beans.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ordered up a juicer after listening to a buddy go on about how much he loves it. Hopefully it doesn't become one of those appliances family uses a few times then forget about it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm with DW. The only canned veggie worth it is corn. It surprises me so many don't mind canned green beans. Those and peas I feel are just disgusting.
frown.png

Cooking prime rib roast tonight that we got a while back with our quarter cow. Using the 500 degrees for a few minutes, longer time around 160-200 degrees method.

Hot as hell horseradish is a must!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I hated peas my entire life until I had fresh peas once. Canning ruins them so hard.

Cooked steak last night in the pan, apparently the new stove does it up because I managed to cook 2 1.5 inch thick steaks to medium well. Going to take some time to adjust to the new way of things.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Cooked steak last night in the pan, apparently the new stove does it up because I managed to cook 2 1.5 inch thick steaks to medium well. Going to take some time to adjust to the new way of things.
Same here, four big ol' ribeyes just over an 1". Mine and the wife's came out a little on the rare side, which is fine with me, the in-laws got their's medium rare.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I've never heard of 'the touch'. Imm hafta ask my wife if she knows that method. When she cooks, I think she just knows intuitively how long it needs.

BTW put me in the camp who thinks canned green beans are better than fresh. I will admit fresh might only taste worse because people tend to try to fancy that shit up too much. With canned, you are getting a known quantity, and it's always damned good. For the same reason, I find canned spinach better too. I like most veggies canned, but the rest of them aren't as bad when fresh.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Okay, I've held my tongue, but I can't stand it any more. Canned green beans make Jesus sad. Sorta. If you buy them in a can, yup. However, I do can green beans that we have grown, and they come out pretty good. They can still have a little texture and crunch to them. But soggy, been in a can green beans just can't hold a candle to a good, fresh, slightly crunchy green bean that's cooked just right.

Crone

Okay, I've held my tongue, but I can't stand it any more. Canned green beans make Jesus sad. Sorta. If you buy them in a can, yup. However, I do can green beans that we have grown, and they come out pretty good. They can still have a little texture and crunch to them. But soggy, been in a can green beans just can't hold a candle to a good, fresh, slightly crunchy green bean that's cooked just right.
Thanks dirk for standing up for good taste and flavor!! omg... mushy ass green beans from a can are so gross! Why do so many of you love them? lol

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Green beans from a can are sort of like tuna from a can. It's so different from the fresh version that you can hardly consider them the same food. My favorite use for green beans is stir fried with some chicken and black bean sauce.

Also, "the touch" is just a lazy and less accurate method. There's nothing wrong with sticking a thermometer in there, especially if you have a nice thermapen instant read that will tell you exactly how done the steak is in like half a second.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I like both canned and fresh/frozen but as someone mentioned earlier, they're basically like comparing 2 completely separate vegetables. They don't taste even remotely the same. You almost might as well be comparing peas to asparagus or something. It just depends on what you are eating them with or even what kind of mood I am in as to which I prefer.

I've had undercooked fresh beans that are like trying to bite through a rubber band, and I've had soggy green beans from a can that had nothing more done to them than warming them up in a microwave...both are bad.

Now, sautee some fresh beans in a little butter/olive oil and garlic and now you're talking
images

or cook the canned ones on the stove top with some bacon and onions, and those are damn tasty too.
Still-11.jpeg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I can see that, but I do not have the enjoyment you do for the canned beans. I'm so much a texture person, and I'i sure that's why.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Smells are what get me. That's why I dislike onions so much, I think. The smell of canned veggies just smells like prison sex and bad water. If you made canned peas smell good, I'd probably dig in, but as is they smell like baby diapers.

Crone

Ya, your first picture joe? Looks great! Second? Gross. Just nothing you can do to spruce up a canned green bean to make it good when it's just mushy as hell.
frown.png