Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They actually sell meats prepackages in marinades. Leaving it in the marinade too long has never hurt the meat in my experience. I had an experience with chicken a couple of weeks ago that I thought could have been that, but now I am leaning towards the recipe calling for too much garlc and telling you not to dry the chicken after marinading.

I've done some really good steaks in a marinade, more recently I've been doing simpler stuff. Nothing wrong with it if you get the taste right.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'll give you a splash of oil, and I have put a little lime juice on flank steak before. Au Poivre is just a little cream along with your pepper, and you can't make anything taste worse by putting butter on it, but I still think it's unnecessary. When I get a steak that's marinaded I always think "this person doesn't know what they're doing". Just because you made something taste like chipotle or teriyaki doesn't mean you have improved it. You might as well be putting ketchup or barbecue sauce on it. Putting sauce or seasoning on a pork chop or a chicken breast is one thing, but a good steak is one of the most delicious items that you can eat, why cover that up with a bunch of seasoning? That is some straight up Applebees bullshit right there.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
They actually sell meats prepackages in marinades. Leaving it in the marinade too long has never hurt the meat in my experience.
Depends on the marinade. Acidic marinades and ones with Alcohol definitely change the texture and taste of the meat if left on for too long as they basically cook the meat (or at least the outsides, which is why a couple hours on those marinades is usually the norm. I think some fruits sometimes found in marinades are the same, like papaya and pineapple - they have enzymes that basically break down the meat and can make it mushy when cooked. Sweeter marinades with lots of sugar tend to be the ones that benefit from long marinating.

There's also a diminishing return factor on marinades as well, especially with red meat. The marinades really only going to penetrate so far.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't think people generally make their marinades THAT acidic? I make a pretty acidic chipotle/honey/lime marinade for pork tenderloin that I have left the meat in for two days before with no degradation in quality of the meat.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Don't fucking marinate steak. Salt and pepper and cook it correctly and you can't improve on it. If you are going to put a bunch of bullshit on it, why spend the money for a steak?
I specifically said it was for a flank steak, which is a cheap, tough cut of meat. A decent sized one will feed a whole family when sliced up and served on baguettes with au jus or beef broth. I agree on decent cuts that you don't need anything fancy, or at least I don't.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I specifically said it was for a flank steak, which is a cheap, tough cut of meat. A decent sized one will feed a whole family when sliced up and served on baguettes with au jus or beef broth. I agree on decent cuts that you don't need anything fancy, or at least I don't.
Sorry all of my rage consumed me when we started talking and didn't see you wanted for Flank steak.

If you're willing to go through with this recipe. It's hands down the single greatest flank steak recipe I've ever made.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Tea_sl

shitlord
Flank steaks are awesome because they are a canvas for awesome marinade flavors. Chef John at foodwishes (watch him!) has done a bunch -here'sthe most recent.

For nice steaks I mix it up. Salt and pepper is of course a stand by and I do that plenty, but other flavors go really nicely with steak too and can add some nice flavors. I like to throw either fresh thyme or rosemary in the pan with either oil or butter. Of course the there is the classic peppercorn steak. Garlic can be amazing with steak as long as you don't let it burn. As long as you keep it simple there's a lot of room for experimentation.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
If you're using that marinade I wouldn't suggest leaving it over 8 hours. The vinegar will cause your meat to become tough and gross not to mention marinating ANYTHING in 24 hours can result in the meat going bad. Usually 2-3 hours is good.
This is so wrong man. Marinating does not cause meat to go bad, not sure where you got this. Beyond changing the texture/flavour you can marinate for quite a while. As long as it is refrigerated there should be no problem, and there is no literature on the internet unless it was written by idiots.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
And whoever said marinating doesn't contribute to tenderness is 99% right. The Aging is the #1 contributor within the same meat cut about 95% of tenderness comes from aging. Marbling only contributes only about 5%. And yes their are certain fruits (Papaya, Pear) that when added to marinades will help tenderize meat, but this will only work for thinly cut strips since marinade only penetrates a small amount into the meat (They've done tests, it's aout 1/8th an inch in).

prescient

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm a little surprised with all the hate regarding condiments and steak. Heston Blumenthal who knows a thing or two about food seems to have no problem with them. Also, all of the normal steak condiments contain umami which makes meat meatier.

prescient

Silver Knight of the Realm
You should probably watch the episode. He specifically makes a mushroom sauce to go with the steak.

Go straight to 2:20

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Salt is technically a condiment. I think it's the type of condiment that people have a problem with. Especially people that marinate a good steak.

How many fucking perfect steak recipes does this guy have? Does not compute.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You should probably watch the episode. He specifically makes a mushroom sauce to go with the steak.

Go straight to 2:20
Holy shit, that was way too much fucking work. Layer butter with blue cheese just so I can discard the blue cheese and baste the finished steak with the butter? Is iceberg lettuce not perceived as shit in Britain? I don't care what texture it has, if I order a steak that takes that much work and get a side salad of iceberg lettuce and some cutup tomatoes, I'm walking.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Real Steak sauces (I.e not out of a bottle) can be great. Peppercorn sauce and bourbon mushromm sauce are my favourite (made from scratch) or even a Blackening rub with a flavoured butter.
I still prefer S+P only most of the time but its nice to change it up.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I fucked up and don't have balsamic for the flank steak thing I was going to do tonight. Halp bros.

I am thinking of trying a spice rub with some garlic, salt, pepper, and something else. I am already doing some roasted potatoes with garlic, paprika, and ancho chile powder so I thought that would complement it pretty well if I used more of the chile powder.