Gravy's Cooking Thread

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some weekend morning you guys will have to sous vide some eggs:The Food Lab's Guide to Slow-Cooked, Sous-Vide-Style Eggs | Serious Eats

I think I usually do them @145 for about an hour and a half and they come out so silky, creamy smooth. Never had anything like it. If you love eggs on toast this is definitely heaven. I typically can't stop myself from eating 4 or 5 at a time with my toast when I end up making them.

I've had some success cooking them the night before and then just bringing them up to temperature again in the sous vide for 10-15 minutes in the morning, but they are definitely best right out of the bath.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Worked. Thanks chaos and Abe.

Just curious, reading some of the comments about the $99 one, I guess a lot of people who got the deal are suspicious that their units were used? i.e. came without plastic bags, water spotting, etc.
Anyone seen this?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Worked. Thanks chaos and Abe.

Just curious, reading some of the comments about the $99 one, I guess a lot of people who got the deal are suspicious that their units were used? i.e. came without plastic bags, water spotting, etc.
Anyone seen this?
Mine looks totally legit, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was refurbished though since I have bought refurbished things in the past that looked brand new. I guess I will have to take their word for it, that is unless I see some story about how they admit some were used then I'm totally bitching to get something free.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
bros, wtf this is disgusting
Bobby Flay Taunted By Airplane Banner During Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony - See the Awkward Pics - Yahoo Celebrity

not the banner calling flay a cheater, but that this fuckwit got recognized as the first celebrity chef on this stupid star shit.

flay has gotta be the worst celebrity chef, no?

Obviously in this thread the Altar of Alton is strong, but come on top tier?

the first star should have been posthumously awarded to Julia Child, fucking hell who here didn't watch her cook first?

We all have our odd favorites, i'll say mine Martin Yang, but come on obvious greats like Alton, Julia, Mario, wtf they go with fucking flay? he's an entertainer.

Bourdain had a good reply on Celeb chefs

and yea cuz i'm making it easy, here's the kwanza cake

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've never been much a of flay fan, something about his personality bugs me. His ex-wife is hot to, his assistant not so much.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I would agree that Julia Child would be the better choice, but I haven't read about the award.

You may not like Throbby Flay, but you can't deny his cooking talent. I'd like him better if Food Network didn't trot him out like a trick pony for every crap show they think up.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My heart only has room for one celebrity chef.

BXwMYZv.jpg

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've never been much a of flay fan, something about his personality bugs me. His future ex-wife is hot to, his assistant not so much.
Fixed that for you. Loved that chick in Law and Order!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea his assistant, musta just been easy young ass for him
elyse-tirrell.jpg

over the law and order wife? wtf
Stephanie_Books_Photo.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Those stars are publicity things, they buy them. If Alton wanted one he could pester Food Network into buying him one.

Flay isn't so bad. There are many celebrity chefs way, way worse than him. He's just mediocre.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Pretty sure, there is some committee that runs the thing, you have to have a sponsor (who the fuck knows how that happens, usually a studio I would imagine) and they pay some large sum of money and boom, you are on par with Bobby Flay.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I ate at a Flay restaurant before (I forget the name) and it was the shittiest food I have ever have. Obviously not cooked by him, but it had his name on it

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Back in the day, Flay had this BBQ show with some other redneck southern dude. And he was a total asshole to the dude. It wasnt some funny back and forth banter between the dudes, he was just straight up ass hole. It was so bad I wanted to fucking strangle him through the screen. Ever since watching that show I detest that fucker. He can take his tex mex bullshit and shove it up his ass. every time I see that fucker on the screen, I next the channel.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Pretty sure, there is some committee that runs the thing, you have to have a sponsor (who the fuck knows how that happens, usually a studio I would imagine) and they pay some large sum of money and boom, you are on par with Bobby Flay.
Please begin petitioning the committee for my star.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
His burger place is ok, on par with Five Guys probably, but better fries and he has shakes. I have never been to any of his other restaurants though because why.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
here's a good cheatsheet for anyone wanting times & temps in one location:https://s3.amazonaws.com/chefsteps/s...eReference.pdf
I wouldn't be pissed if this got put on the first post.

I'd also be interested in someone's list who watches a lot of food related TV, on their favorite stars from most liked to least. Probably Ina Garten is my least favorite, but there's a pretty big pool at the bottom of my list.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Well Sous Vide arrived. They shipped me one with a plug that will work splendidly in Austria. Not so much here. So, more waiting while they fix the problem, which they did instantly. New shit on it's way, but...more waiting.

My heart only has room for one celebrity chef.

BXwMYZv.jpg
I'm as hard as diamonds in an ice storm right now.

I ate at a Flay restaurant before (I forget the name) andit was the shittiest food I have ever have.Obviously not cooked by him, but it had his name on it
I find the bolded part incredibly hard to believe. Perhaps it wasn't great, and certainly it doesn't sound like it lived up to expectations, but it was worse than anything else you've ever eaten?