Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'd also do basic reality tv rules, never volunteer for anything, never be the leader, if the ship is sinking, sink with it, it never pays off to be the hero cuz you'll either be pointed out for your failures or targeted next time for being the hero. Also for masterchef, try not to target or fuck over anybody good and try to "send home the best". If there's a top dog, don't make it your mission to take out the top dog, you'll get caught up in the advantage/disadvantage drama, let someone else (or better yet, turn others against the top dog) do it, but never yourself.

Show is entirely subjective and i'm positive 50% of the time the winners are just whoever has the best narrative, i mean where else can a stripper win s5 of masterchef? (at least 2x the judges saved her by ignoring her major mistakes and just sending home the 2nd worst person instead, it was better tv to keep this bitch around)

and honestly a blind bitch is the best cook for s3? while i was rooting for her, cuz who wouldn't, i thought the tall ass black guy (who was later a schizo and killed himself) was the better chef, but she was the better story.

also i know on hells kitchen, they purpose fully let you sleep 4hrs and work you to the bone on purpose. this is to cause severe sleep deprivation and let your guard down. (a lot of exit interviews, most contestants couldn't even tell night from day anymore and just followed whatever the sous chefs told them like zombies cuz they're so sleep deprived)

We've never really, if ever seen the dorms of masterchef and i think from 1 exit interview it was a nice environment with a few recipe books to learn on your own and stuff.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So here is my Mark II setup. I could have done a better job cutting the lid, there is a gap you can see between the device and the lid. It appears to be working though. I'm doing steaks again tonight because why the fuck not, and starting the chuck tonight for Monday night dinner. I got the 12 qt Rubbermaid Commercial container off Amazon, got good reviews and it is bigger than the pot I was using. A brisket in there is still going to be a tight fit, even cutting it into thirds, but oh well.

rrr_img_99480.jpg

rrr_img_99481.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Also question: presear or no? I always never do it but the videos online seem to. I don't understand doing a presear and a postsear. Also, none of the videos online seem to preseason. They all season after removing it from the bag and prior to searing, except for aromatics. Why? To me, it seems the best bet is to season, vacuum seal, cook, then sear.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't think anyone here pre-sears, i'm pretty sure the early days of sous vide was to pre-sear to "lock in" the flavor, eh tests have shown thats bullshit, plus it's messy. season? sure s&p away. aeromatics? yup.

Heck after your first few steaks, you'll just buy a steak (maybe it's on sale), take it out, give it a quick s&p rub, throw in a twig of something, then vacuum it and freeze it, makes for like zero prep work. (note add 1hr of sous vide time for frozen steaks is usually the rule of thumb)

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Also question: presear or no? I always never do it but the videos online seem to. I don't understand doing a presear and a postsear. Also, none of the videos online seem to preseason. They all season after removing it from the bag and prior to searing, except for aromatics. Why? To me, it seems the best bet is to season, vacuum seal, cook, then sear.
No on the presear. Every side-by-side test I've seen has said it made no difference in the end product but is much more difficult to deal with before hand.

I do season before hand if not pulling a frozen cut, but if you do you should use a slightly lighter touch than you would if grilling. I generally buy from Costco and seal up a whole pack of meat and will go straight from the freezer to the bath, and in those cases I only salt prior to sealing and freezing. If I want additional seasoning I'll add it just prior to searing.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
My Anova still hasn't shown up, dammit.

I'm planning some thick cod loins for my first go. Can I put butter and garlic in with the fish while it's sealed?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Bro I will sous vide a pig's nasty asshole to a tender, delicious bung dinner. It is known.

When I did the pork tenderloin I put it in with garlic, olive oil, and honey. I would assume fish would be the same, should be fine.

My chuck roast came out today. idk if this is the best picture, I ran out of the house to get to class. I think you can see that the cut of meat is basically two pieces, the left and right pieces. The left piece tasted like a goddamn ribeye, so tender it was amazeballs. The right half was not as tender. Not tough, just a different cut of meat so it was a different texture. I don't know if I would do this cut of meat again for that reason. I would rather have had a flank steak or top round so the meat would have been consistent all the way through. Next up: salmon. I am worried about hwo to do the salmon because I have only ever grilled or pan-seared salmon. So cooking it to 122 and not searing seems weird. But cooking it to 122 then searing the shit out of it seems like it would overcook the fish immediately.

rrr_img_99614.jpg

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm doing Salmon right now with 1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 tbsp soy sauce, and some minced garlic in the bag with the fish. I do mine at 125 because I like it a little more done, 122 tasted a little more "fishy" than I prefer, but it's great either way.

I never sear the salmon afterwards as it is delicate enough coming out of the bag and I really never saw the need. I generally dislike fish but even so sous vide salmon is one of my favorite dishes ever.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Looks good.

You could take the salmon out and just use a kitchen torch to hit the outside after putting some butter on it. That would be tasty.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I normally do maple/soy salmon with some garlic as well, just grilled. I will give that a go.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For fish, torch is the only way to go imo, it's so flaky and moist after the sous vide that i find any extra handling to be extremely delicate. Heck you can even just torch the top, to make it look good, leave the bottom. I do i minor creme bruele type thing, i layer a thin line of honey around the edges of the fish, throw some sugar in the middle and sauces

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Am I the only dude that really doesn't care for salmon? I'll grant that it usually looks delicious, but I'm find it a bit fishy. Even in Seattle.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This thread is now maximum Sous Vide!

MUHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea once you guys sous vide yourself the perfect steak (you'll even bust a nut knowing you can do it with $4/lb chuck/flank steak), can you even eat at a steakhouse anymore?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hell, I can't eat at a mid-range steakhouse now, and all I do is grill my steaks. It pretty much has to be a pretty high-end place before I get to the point that I'm not thinking "I could have done this better at home".

If anyone ever drags me along to an Outback or Longhorn steakhouse, I'll probably be getting some salmon or something... Their steaks just piss me off

Now, give me a steak from Morton's or Capital Grille and I'm perfectly happy with their steaks, they're damn tasty.