Gravy's Cooking Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Store Locator shows them in Wal-Marts near me. If I go into a Wal-Mart, these better be the best tortillas ever made.
Shows the same for me, but also shows them at Price Chopper. Price Chopper here I come!!!! Well... soon, I'm not gonna be eating any tortillas for a while. Gotta lose the rest of this winter fluff first.

If these are good I'll probably do a lot more Mexican food at home because all other tortillas I've tried at the local stores around here are absolute garbage.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
They also show in Costco by me, but I don't have a membership. Yeah, if they're good, I'll make a lot more tacos/fajitas, etc. I've done fresh flour tortillas, but it was really just to try it. Too much of a pain in the ass to be a frequent thing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I highly doubt (and i actually already searched on amazon) that you'll find tortilla land or anything with such a fast expiration shipped by amazon prime. If it's not shipped by amazon, it won't be prime and it can't be FBA (fullfillment by amazon) from other venders b/c they can't store such fast expiration items in amazon warehouses so they have to ship from their store (and not use amazons super cheap corporate ups shipping account).

There is prime pantry, but even then, nothing there.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
If I go into a Wal-Mart, these better be the best tortillas ever made.
I haven't been in a Wal-Mart since 2004.

As far as the flour vs. corn thing, I go to corn, but only because of the sodium content. I miss me some burritos.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Congestive Heart Failure. Excess fluid around the heart and lungs with sodium intake.

Like chaos and his wheat thing, eating out is a pain in the ass. There is a shit-ton of sodium in restaurant food.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Congestive Heart Failure. Excess fluid around the heart and lungs with sodium intake.

Like chaos and his wheat thing, eating out is a pain in the ass. There is a shit-ton of sodium in restaurant food.
Yeah, that's rough. You gotta' do what you gotta' do, though...

giphy.gif

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've found the trick to corn tortillas is to fry them first. Little oil in a skillet or saucepan and it makes them taste better and somehow stronger so they are not falling apart when you are eating.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Best taco shells ever:
microwave your tortillas between wet paper towels for about 30 seconds, to soften them
spray both sides of tortilla with a bit of cooking spray(Pam, whatever)
bake at 375 for 4-5 minutes, directly on oven racks

PicMonkey+Collage.jpg

Awesome taco shells that are flat on the bottom so they'll stand upright on their own on a plate, and wide enough to hold a shitload of meat and toppings

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea but those wide-load taco shells do not make for an easy eating experience, it might be nice for prep, but imo, ppl don't like eating it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Team,

fIhLNdo.gif

picked up the brisket today. OH YEAH.

Also picked up a chuck roast. Gonna do that motherfucker up over 48 hours starting Saturday night. I'll do the salmon sometime during the week. And then starting Thursday it's BRISKET: THE RECKONING

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Team,

fIhLNdo.gif

Also picked up a chuck roast. Gonna do that motherfucker up over 48 hours starting Saturday night. I'll do the salmon sometime during the week. And then starting Thursday it's BRISKET: THE RECKONING
Pictures and orgasmic descriptors are required.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
BRISKET: THE RECKONING
I'm getting pretty jazzed up waiting for mine. It shipped today. If you are doing a brisket, you must be using something on a grander scale than I was thinking. I may have to go read some more on this. I haven't looked into the bagging options, as I was still planning on using gallon sized freezer bags, but even that wouldn't hold a whole brisket.

BTW, I'm free this weekend, and I can drive anywhere in the US in 48 hours... just pm me your addy.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
yea but those wide-load taco shells do not make for an easy eating experience, it might be nice for prep, but imo, ppl don't like eating it.
they aren't as wide as the picture makes them look. About an inch or so wide, however wide your stove rungs are spaced apart(usually no more than an inch). Not even as wide as a typical hamburger on a bun.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Team,

fIhLNdo.gif

Sous Vide brisket?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
they aren't as wide as the picture makes them look. About an inch or so wide, however wide your stove rungs are spaced apart(usually no more than an inch). Not even as wide as a typical hamburger on a bun.
I think it is a capital idea, and I'll be trying it.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I've noticed the ethnicity thing. I can cook Japanese (I have cooked 3/4 of Shizua Tsuji's Japanese Cooking), Vietnamese, Thai, and Mexican. I can do a little bit of Korean (mostly Korean BBQ style dishes). There isn't a standard meat that I can't break down/work with (I've butchered a whole roast pig and done a plate primal off a cow), though I'm not a speedy butcher/filet-er by any stretch of the imagination. My main concern with this is actually larger fish that aren't Tuna.

Apparently the kid who won Masterchef Junior season 2 managed to volunteer as essentially a prep cook in local restaurants to get training for speed/precision of prep. I might try that.