Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I bought some online for my Mom to make corned beef with earlier this year. Haven't noticed any FBI agents lurking around.

Amazon.com : 1 Lb Salt Petre * : Beauty

Check the product description:

Commonly used by women to keep their partner from straying, Salt Petre is also of great use in exorcisms and other purification rituals.

The Master

Bronze Squire
It is used in smoke bombs and can be used to make various explosives. But since using it to make smoke bombs is a semi-common middle school science project, I think you're safe regardless of what you do with it. They aren't tracking thousands of eighth graders.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Googling says saltpeter was the agent used in the OK city and wtc bombings of 93/95, i don't think trading in dry aged beef and getting on a FBI watchlist is such a good thing!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't know, a really good corned-beef might be worth putting up with some FBI surveillance...

Gravy

Bronze Squire
So I sous videded my thick cod pieces tonight. 122F for 45 minutes. I put butter, garlic, lemon slices and a tiny bit of herb de provence in the bag. Tender, flaky, moist.

BUT: 122F is not hot enough for consumption in my opinion. I thought I could eat the fish right out of the bag, but it was tepid at best. I seared the final piece in a skillet and it was much better.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I sous videded my think cod pieces tonight. 122F for 45 minutes. I put butter, garlic, lemon slices and a tiny bit of herb de provence in the bag. Tender, flaky, moist.

BUT: 122F is not hot enough for consumption in my opinion. I thought I could eat the fish right out of the bag, but it was tepid at best. I seared the final piece in a skillet and it was much better.
I've had the same experience with sous-vide fish, doneness is right but the temp just is off. I think the sear is necessary on fish just for some residual heat.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Salmon worked ok. The sous vide itself got the fish to the perfect doneness. That was good. But I put way too much garlic in the marinade and this was the first time I have ever torched anything. I did it on a ceramic plate, I was too worried about the plate cracking and didn't do as much as I should have, and probably should have done less direct flame contact, idk, it will be a learning process. Brisket will come out tomorrow at about 6 and I planned on doing that with the torch, but the surface area seems pretty large, may just finish it on the grill.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Thick lamb chops tomorrow. So cute. I'm thinking 140f for 1:30, and then blast searing them in the cast iron.

I will take pictures on my cell phone and post them if someone wouldn't mind giving me the remedial instructions on how to do so. Here or in PM would be great. Thanks

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I generally upload the caveman way. Send the picture to myself in an email from my phone, then upload here using the insert image icon. If it isn't highlighted, click the computer tab, then browse, then find the picture(s) and voila.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Get the grill stupid fucking hot, and only do a minute or two on each side.
While this is correct, it makes the sous vide step completely unnecessary. If you put Salmon on a hot grill and do two minutes on each side, you are done cooking it and you can save an hour and a half in the sous vide thingy. Congratulations!

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You are probably right.

I have tried browning some stuff with a torch lately and I'm not that impressed with it. If the flame contacts the food it leaves a little charcoal on the outside that is not good eats. I like my heat gun better, but there is some of that with it as well. Browning things under the broiler is still my favorite even though it takes longer.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I have tried browning some stuff with a torch lately and I'm not that impressed with it. If the flame contacts the food it leaves a little charcoal on the outside that is not good eats. I like my heat gun better, but there is some of that with it as well. Browning things under the broiler is still my favorite even though it takes longer.
I've been wondering about the torch thing. I have a propane torch, and I've read descriptions on how to use it (adjusting the flame until it is blue and popping), but I'll be using the cast iron skillet tonight for the lamb chops.