Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I got rid of the breadmaker years ago and started doing a daily thing with bread that takes little time. We go through a metric fucktonne of bread here.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What is your daily thing with bread? I make bread probably once ever couple weeks, but I've always just used my oven.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Don't be turned off by the title, but this book is amazing. I'll make up a huuuuuge batch of dough one day - takes only a few minutes in the stand mixer - and then I have dough in the fridge that's good for up to a few weeks. Take the dough out, around 50 minutes later you have bread. Make it at lunch time, ready for dinner no problem.

Here's the book. I recommend it.
The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking: Jeff Hertzberg, Zo? Fran?ois, Stephen Scott Gross: 9781250018281: Amazon.com: Books

Here are some basics from the book:
The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day is Launched! Back to Basics updated, and a Great TV segment on KSTP | Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Amazon.com: Anova Culinary Precision Cooker/Immersion Circulator (Black): Kitchen Dining

yea better hurry it's a lightning deal so atm 11:40est you have 3hrs or until it's fully claimed (8% so far)

Don't be turned off by the title, but this book is amazing. I'll make up a huuuuuge batch of dough one day - takes only a few minutes in the stand mixer - and then I have dough in the fridge that's good for up to a few weeks. Take the dough out, around 50 minutes later you have bread. Make it at lunch time, ready for dinner no problem.

Here's the book. I recommend it.
The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking: Jeff Hertzberg, Zo? Fran?ois, Stephen Scott Gross: 9781250018281: Amazon.com: Books

Here are some basics from the book:
The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day is Launched! Back to Basics updated, and a Great TV segment on KSTP | Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
yea i've made the no kneed bread for a baker to eat (i wanted me, an inexperienced baker to see how they'd like it), once i told him it was no kneed and i didn't expert any energy and it was like 4 ingredients, he was surprised. (obviously not the best in the world, but great considering the time vs. energy and years of experience needed)

i did go through 3/4 loafs b4 i let him try it, a stone is a must to get that crispy crust.

I mean it won't win any awards, and you basically have to prep a day in a advance, but otherwise you have dough you can throw in the oven for fresh bread for a week.

Arica_sl

shitlord
I have a question. I kind of just found this thread and am curious about sous vide... Does your food taste like plastic when you cook it inside a vacuum bag? I ask because I can't drink water from plastic bottles, the taste of plastic makes it unpleasant. Thanks for any info.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I have a question. I kind of just found this thread and am curious about sous vide... Does your food taste like plastic when you cook it inside a vacuum bag? I ask because I can't drink water from plastic bottles, the taste of plastic makes it unpleasant. Thanks for any info.
My quick answer is no, not at all.

Have you ever done a blind taste test where you pour the water into cups then drink it? Could you pick out the odd cup of water blind if one cup was from a bottle and the other from lets say a Brita or your faucet? I used to think I didn't like beer out of cans until I took the same beer, one from a can one from a bottle, had someone mix them and then tried to find the canned beer. Couldn't do it, they tasted the same once out of the cup. Concluded that is was the can itself that I was tasting and it wasn't "leeching" anything into my beer (also learned later that most beer cans have a plastic lining anyways so they don't contact much if any aluminum). You might have the same experience with bottled water.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Amazon.com: Anova Culinary Precision Cooker/Immersion Circulator (Black): Kitchen Dining

yea better hurry it's a lightning deal so atm 11:40est you have 3hrs or until it's fully claimed (8% so far)

yea i've made the no kneed bread for a baker to eat (i wanted me, an inexperienced baker to see how they'd like it), once i told him it was no kneed and i didn't expert any energy and it was like 4 ingredients, he was surprised. (obviously not the best in the world, but great considering the time vs. energy and years of experience needed)

i did go through 3/4 loafs b4 i let him try it, a stone is a must to get that crispy crust.

I mean it won't win any awards, and you basically have to prep a day in a advance, but otherwise you have dough you can throw in the oven for fresh bread for a week.
I don't have a stone, but I cook the no knead bread in a cast iron pan. Works really well, though I can't compare to the stone.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
My quick answer is no, not at all.

Have you ever done a blind taste test where you pour the water into cups then drink it? Could you pick out the odd cup of water blind if one cup was from a bottle and the other from lets say a Brita or your faucet? I used to think I didn't like beer out of cans until I took the same beer, one from a can one from a bottle, had someone mix them and then tried to find the canned beer. Couldn't do it, they tasted the same once out of the cup. Concluded that is was the can itself that I was tasting and it wasn't "leeching" anything into my beer (also learned later that most beer cans have a plastic lining anyways so they don't contact much if any aluminum). You might have the same experience with bottled water.
That plastic lining is BPA which people are nuts about these days.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That no-knead bread method is great. I should do it more often.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As long as you buy either
Amazon.com: Ziploc Vacuum Starter Kit, 3-Quart Bags, 1-Pump: Health Personal Care
or foodsaver
Amazon.com: foodsaver - Kitchen Kitchen

i doubt it, i mean you might be more sensitive to it, but i'm sure all of us can say "NO" there's not a hint of plasticy taste at all.

i would never be able to say that if you just use plain old ziploc bags tho, the ones you use for a quick sandwich bag, others who have used regular ziploc bags w/ the displacement method can comment on that.

quick question (in all seriousness) how the hell do you drink water? just straight from the tap?

I don't have a stone, but I cook the no knead bread in a cast iron pan. Works really well, though I can't compare to the stone.
if i had to buy a stone again, i'd get something like this
Amazon.com: Old Stone Oven 4467 14-Inch by 16-Inch Baking Stone: Pizza Stones: Kitchen Dining

a square stone, instead of a round one, it just makes more sense, you're putting a round stone on a rectangular tray? you're loosing so much surface area, my stone hasn't cracked, i'm sure it's just some 30$ BBB, crap i got 10 years ago, but a few comment that stones from other companies crack.

IDK, mine hasn't and i even mistakenly left it in the oven on the cleaning cycle (800degrees) no issues, mine is always in the oven.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
That plastic lining is BPA which people are nuts about these days.
True, and I'm not sure if getting into the BPA debate is worth it here, but studies have shown the BPA amounts in a canned beer to be much lower than in canned sodas and my understanding is the biggest genuine BPA concern (i.e. not Food Babe pseudo-science) is potential developmental issues. Since I'm neither pregnant nor an infant/toddler I'm not going to worry about it. But I do make sure to only give my kid craft beer from bottles now.

One other note, the reason you don't see BPA-free beer cans is the non-BPA alternatives actually react worse with beer and cause more issues with flavors/chemicals in the beer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The key to pizza stones is never wash them and always preheat them slowly. You can scrape the crud off with a brush, but never wash them. Most of them are porous and if you wash them, even with just water, they will crack because of the water contained within heating up.

Ive had my 450F rated stone on my kamodo grill at 650F with no problems, just preheat that fucker slowly.

Arica_sl

shitlord
quick question (in all seriousness) how the hell do you drink water? just straight from the tap?
Mountain Valley Spring Water.
Gerolsteiner Sparkling Water (when I want maximum fizziness)
Italian Sparkling Mineral Water from Whole Foods (Lemon, Lime) (When I want mellow fizziness)

All glass bottles