Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Know what I think sous vide cooking will rob us of?

Think about slow cooking a big old piece of meat (whatever your favourite is). Come home after that puppy has been cooking all day, and the house smells delicious. Not so with sous vide.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Don't worry about it. In 6 months the sous vide machines will be in the cabinet with the bread maker and the sodastream and every other kitchen gadget fad.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've actually never bought a kitchen gadget that I haven't continued to use on a regular basis. Waffle maker? weekly. Apple peeler corer slicer? Pies all the time. Stove top espresso maker? Every morning.

Maybe this will break the trend. It arrives tomorrow. I am as hard a diamonds in an ice storm. I have a big ass pork loin ready to go.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What does an ice storm have to do with how hard the diamonds are?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Don't worry about it. In 6 months the sous vide machines will be in the cabinet with the bread maker and the sodastream and every other kitchen gadget fad.
Maybe, I am not so sure. The big reason I like it is not the way it cooks but how easy it makes cooking. If I want a steak, I prep it hours ahead of time and throw it in there, it cooks while I handle the sides, there is no pressure and no stress. Then I dig it out and sear it quickly and bam, perfect steak. And the cleanup is as easy as drying it off. Maybe in 6 months or a year you will have the last laugh, but right now I am incorporating this into my routine and it is working out great.

Brisket today turned out great. Would I prefer a smoked brisket? Yes. This was just something different. I am no so sure about putting the rub on while it cooks, that will be the test I guess. Much of the rub came off during the cooking into the juices. idk, we will see. It was super tender, medium rare, perfect. The only problem I had was that I haven't cleaned my grill in a while because I am a shitbag and I started a small fire when trying to get the grill blazing hot enough to sear it.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
The lamb loin chops turned out very well, super tender. I took pictures and will try and fuck with that later.

The wife went nuts for these, btw. She was very impressed.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I love not worrying about over or under cooking anything. We love to go to the movies but don't ever eat there, fuck paying 10 bucks for a hot dog. With the Sous Vide I put some nice Ribeyes in there with some Rosemary and Garlic and by the time I came home all I had to do was take them out and sear them real quick. Combine this with a slowcooker and you have your meals cooking while you are out and everyone can eat within 5 minutes of getting home.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This made me laugh, and it's relevant to this thread.

Rgok4JI.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i use my sous vide station weekly, 1yr plus so far, soda stream too.

what does get shelved is the deepfryer, i've now taken a liking to just using a wok and temp probing.

bamboo steamer i use once every 5 years, and the assorted coffee devices (cold press/moka pots etc).

kitchen aid mixer doesn't get shelved, shit will outright murder you if you lift it over your head.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The lamb loin chops turned out very well, super tender. I took pictures and will try and fuck with that later.

The wife went nuts for these, btw. She was very impressed.
how much you paying for lamb chops compared to say pork chops and a nice steak cut? lamb is triple the price of beef around here.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I have one of those little square box deep fryers in the basement too. The wok is way better and I would do it in a cast iron frying pan before I went and blew the dust out of that thing.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
how much you paying for lamb chops compared to say pork chops and a nice steak cut? lamb is triple the price of beef around here.
The lamb loin chops were only $6.99/lb. at Costco. May have been that day only? I haven't been back to check.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I decided to revisit the sous-vide salmon after not liking it a couple of times. This time I brined it for about 1 hour before cooking and did a good sear. I read quite a few places that recommended the brine for sous-vide fish, not sure if it made a huge difference or not but this time around it came out way better, but honestly I think it had more to do with the sear.

In the bag I was pretty basic, some olive oil, garlic, and rosemary. I put the fillets in a hot cast iron skin-down then dumped all the contents of the bag into the pan along with some butter and basted the fish with that. Did about a 60 second sear, and it definitely helped make the fish temp not seem so tepid but it didn't overcook the fish at all, was still the perfect doneness.