Gravy's Cooking Thread

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anova arrives today but won't have time to get a set up going till this weekend but looking forward to it quite a bit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive made jerky on one of them dryers before a few times. Best beef to use is something like a eye of round, not a lot of fat, no marbling. Eye of round is cheap too. Cut it to strips of uniform size, marinade overnight with your favorite stuff, even add some liquid smoke if you like smokey flavor. Then proceed to dry it. Dont remember how long it took, but it took a while. If you want to make it safe for sure, when its done drying out, just place it in a 250F oven for 15-20 minutes to make sure you kill off any bacteria. The kids love jerky but its damn expensive. I like the costco stuff they have. Its not the ground pressed stuff, but real jerky, still expensive though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I make my jerky out of ternderloin, or what most people call the backstrap from deer (venison). But that's probably not an option for most people here because they either don't hunt, or if they do get them in the quantity that I do.

DSC02760.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I've always cooked the backstrap like steak because it's so tender. Never even thought about making jerky from it. Probably is delicious.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A general pork anything rub is taragon/sage/garlic powder/pepper/salt. You may want to put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in there, but it isn't necessary at all. Bonus points if you can find powdered taragaon/sage to make it all granular style. 1/1/2/1/1 would be my ratios lines.

I'm still sous vide averse, but this thread has been making me look at my reasoning in a new light.
I always thought sous vide was some trendy bullshit destined for a burnout. Now that I have it I am really happy. It is like a much better slow cooker.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For me it's a lazy way cooking that produces amazing results.

I buy some steak on sale/pork chops, i look for good ol chuck, come home, take it out the package, sprinkle S&P (maybe i'll throw an herb in there or some shit, usually not) vacuum and into the freezer, 2mins of work per steak.

since i sous vide weekly, the crock pot is out all the time, so i just fill it up w/ hot tap water (while also putting 2cups of water in the kettle), this usually is 100f, w/ 2 cups of boiling water i'll be 120f, drop the frozen packages in and fuck off for 3 hours. literally just filling up a pot of water.

and the results are amazing. i guess i could also sous vide some veggies and eggs and stuff, eh don't really feel up to it tho.

what i will try later is the
cook in advance - cook, then chill in ice water bath (while package is still unopened), freeze and reheat for 1hr when needed. this does take more planning, but it also makes meals, usable when you only have 1hr to cook (both come home later, whatever, etc). (the thing w/ this is i can reheat different temped packages in the same reheated water bath, i.e. veggie pack and meat pack)

i'm gonna try the cook in advance/freeze after i come back from maui.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of jerky, I know this is the cooking thread, but does anybody know of a good brand of jerky where it's really just dried, sliced meat and not turned to gelatin by meat tenderizer and coated with sugar like Jack Link's and all the other gas station/grocery store brands?

My favorite kind is Mingua beef jerky, but it's $13 for a 7 oz bag that lasts me about 3 minutes so I don't get it very often.

Cpqiajq.jpg
$13!!?? That stuff is like $5.50 here. But I guess that is the benefit of living in Kentucky where it is made? The hot is definiately my favorite by far. It is my favorite thing to eat/chew on at work (can make your jaw sore if you have too much though). I am amazed you can get that brand in Montana.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Tonight is my first overnight sous vide experience. I'm cooking an eye of round roast, small (2lbs.), at 144F for 14 hours.

I just got done reading an article however that did the same roast at 131F for 30 hours. Beside the logistics of being able to plan that far in advance for dinner, I really liked his results by the pictures. Pretty rare. I'm cooking at 144F because I'm going to make sandwiches with it, and thought the rare side might not be to my liking.

Any thoughts or input? Regardless, I'll post results tomorrow sans pictures because you guys didn't tell me how fantastic the lamb loin chops looked. Validate me, god dammit.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any thoughts or input? Regardless, I'll post results tomorrow sans pictures because you guys didn't tell me how fantastic the lamb loin chops looked. Validate me, god dammit.
Next time around--if you've got nothing better to do--try tossing it in on the lower temperature and take it out when you normally would and hack off a hunk for dinner. Then just toss the rest back in the bag and put it back in the bath at the higher temperature for another 8-24 hours and have it the next day for lunch or dinner. I did that with a corned beef brisket and it was phenomenal the second day after sitting in for a longer bath.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I am amazed you can get that brand in Montana.
I can't get it here, that is buying it online from their website. Sometimes I can get it slightly cheaper on Amazon. I freaking love it though and I can't find another brand that is similar. Everything you get at the store is all soft and sticky which is not jerky to me.

Does anyone here have a Green Egg bbq?
I have a Big Green Egg. I like it very much although it's a little bit hard to justify the fact that it is $900 and you can buy a Weber Kettle that does the same thing almost as well for $150.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Speaking of ribs, I tried the 3..2..1... method a few weekends ago on my new kmodo grill, they turned out spectacular. Basically pull off the membrane, let them marinade with a rub overnight, 3 hours at 250F, directly on grill with a heat shield below (indirect smoking) then 2 hours wrapped up in foil with a few oz of apple juice, then one hour at 300F with your favorite BBQ sauce.

What I will do next time is not have apple wood in the grill, I did not like the smoky flavor all too that much, it was just too much smoke. So I will just do it with lump charcoal and no apple wood next time. Also the dry rub was good, but it called for a whole tbls of cayenne pepper, so the wife and kids were bitching that it was too spicy, so instead of cayenne, which is such a harsh immediate hot flavor, I will substitute like 1/2 tbls of ground red pepper, which has a more subtle building hot flavor.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>