Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
All the brisket is gone. Holy fuck was it good. That is a keeper. You know, when it doesn't cost 50 bucks for a fucking brisket.

Tomorrow I'm doing chicken breast for the first time. Not sure what I will so with the chicken breast but probably something simple, just sous vide it up and sear it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Poppycock! I still use my Ginsu knives.
I've had my sous vide for about 3 years, maybe a little more. It was a LOT more expensive than they are now.

I use it mainly during duck season when I can cook fresh kill duck in it. The other 8 months of the year I rarely use it, but those 4 months I use it weekly if not more than once a week.

Now that I live 3 minutes from work I can run home and turn it off/on and get back to work before I'm even missed.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've had my sous vide for about 3 years, maybe a little more. It was a LOT more expensive than they are now.

I use it mainly during duck season when I can cook fresh kill duck in it. The other 8 months of the year I rarely use it, but those 4 months I use it weekly if not more than once a week.

Now that I live 3 minutes from work I can run home and turn it off/on and get back to work before I'm even missed.
Why only fresh duck?

Borzak

Why only fresh duck?
Because I've never bought duck in my life and why not cook it when you go out and get 5 a monring? I normally try and get a hunt in a couple of days a week before work. Other than steaks and some ground meat I really don't buy much meat at the grocery store. A bunch of deer and possibly an elk a year will last a single person a long time not to mention all the hogs you could ever possibly want.

Anyway, anyone ever use a dehydrator much? I'm thinking of using mine to dehydrate some fruit for snacks and such. In the past I only used it for making jerky but jeeze so much jerky is available for sale here it's not really worth it anymore. Any ideas? I need to look up and see if you can do pineapple, seems like that would be a decent snack. I tried banannas once and didn't care for them.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Because I've never bought duck in my life and why not cook it when you go out and get 5 a monring? I normally try and get a hunt in a couple of days a week before work. Other than steaks and some ground meat I really don't buy much meat at the grocery store. A bunch of deer and possibly an elk a year will last a single person a long time not to mention all the hogs you could ever possibly want.

Anyway, anyone ever use a dehydrator much? I'm thinking of using mine to dehydrate some fruit for snacks and such. In the past I only used it for making jerky but jeeze so much jerky is available for sale here it's not really worth it anymore. Any ideas? I need to look up and see if you can do pineapple, seems like that would be a decent snack. I tried banannas once and didn't care for them.
Dried pineapple is amazing (coated in sugar or in a bbq rub can be really good too).

Borzak

I really don't need the additional sugar since I'm a diabetic. Having said that I'm bored as shit this week since the government has us shut down at work I'm about to get up and make some beignets with lots of powdered sugar.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Well, I know that drying fruit will concentrate the sugars, which isn't great for diabetics. Better off eating the fresh fruit.

What kind of dehydrator do you use? I had one several years ago, and I think it worked twice before it went tits up.

Borzak

Well, I know that drying fruit will concentrate the sugars, which isn't great for diabetics. Better off eating the fresh fruit.

What kind of dehydrator do you use? I had one several years ago, and I think it worked twice before it went tits up.
I'm not that brittle and I really don't avoid that much sugar, but I don't need to add extra on top of stuff. Been one since age 4.

Just a cheap Nesco. I've used it for several years and have done a ton of jerky, both beef and venison. But like I said here in this part of TX there's so much BBQ and jerky for sale not worth the effort.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm not that brittle and I really don't avoid that much sugar, but I don't need to add extra on top of stuff. Been one since age 4.

Just a cheap Nesco. I've used it for several years and have done a ton of jerky, both beef and venison. But like I said here in this part of TX there's so much BBQ and jerky for sale not worth the effort.
Ooooh you'll have a good bbq rub. Put that on the pineapple when you dry it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Yea any old nesco should serve you good, mine is still kicking, made many lb's of jerky.

newest ones seem nice
Amazon.com: Nesco Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator FD-75A: Kitchen Dining

there's always the AB method of using a box fan

Here are dehydrator tray liners
Amazon.com: dehydrator tray liners

box fan if you don't have one (walmart will have cheaper options)
Amazon.com - Lasko #3723 20-Inch Premium Box Fan 3-SPEED - Electric Household Fans

20x20x1 furnace filters are expensive on amazon, you'll probably find em cheaper at walmart for 5 bucks each

Borzak

I guess I could PM Alton and ask him. He's a member of a gun related forum I've been on for years.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of jerky, I know this is the cooking thread, but does anybody know of a good brand of jerky where it's really just dried, sliced meat and not turned to gelatin by meat tenderizer and coated with sugar like Jack Link's and all the other gas station/grocery store brands?

My favorite kind is Mingua beef jerky, but it's $13 for a 7 oz bag that lasts me about 3 minutes so I don't get it very often.

Cpqiajq.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Are there any Amish communities near you in Montana? Pennsylvania Amish make the best jerky ever.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I love good beef jerky, but yeah...shit is expensive.

I'm going to do a pork loin in the Anova this weekend. Any suggestions on a good rub?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
There are some Amish in MT but I don't know if they make jerky. I suppose I should just figure out how to make it myself and shoot a deer once a year. I have had so much terrible shitty deer jerky made by hunters though that I know it's not trivial to do it well. I had a hunter once that gave me some "jerky" that he had made that looked like little hamburger patties that were so dry they would shatter when they hit the floor and the only flavor that I could detect was ketchup. I can't believe that he thought I would want that. The dogs would barely eat it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There are some Amish in MT but I don't know if they make jerky. I suppose I should just figure out how to make it myself and shoot a deer once a year. I have had so much terrible shitty deer jerky made by hunters though that I know it's not trivial to do it well. I had a hunter once that gave me some "jerky" that he had made that looked like little hamburger patties that were so dry they would shatter when they hit the floor and the only flavor that I could detect was ketchup. I can't believe that he thought I would want that. The dogs would barely eat it.
Yea you probably had the uniform jerky strips?, made by a jerky gun
Amazon.com: LEM Products Jerky Gun: Sports Outdoors

as a someone who likes using cutlery i used to scoff at this thing, and saw it as a lazy way to make jerky, it has it's advantages. If you have poor knife skills, you don't get so many weird cuts of meat. Also you basically blend/chop and hamburger your way through that you can mix and match different cuts, which would be good to use the cheaper cuts. Also i heard that it's almost a necessity for what you had, venison. Since venison is so lean and can be dry (don't know never did venison or hunted).

I think they fuck it up when they think "hey", since i got this deer out, i can slap on some pork in it to ADD some fat

or lemme rummage through the spice rack and throw some "cajun" seasonings and shit on it, cuz it's a fucking patty

i mean all it is, is a caulk gun right? (this is also how most restaurants/fast food deliver sauce)

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The stuff I was talking about was not from the gun but I have had plenty of jerky made by that thing. Some of it is okay but to me it's not really jerky if it doesn't have actual texture. I have had good sliced deer jerky as well, but it seems like most hunters don't know what they're doing when they make it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
A general pork anything rub is taragon/sage/garlic powder/pepper/salt. You may want to put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in there, but it isn't necessary at all. Bonus points if you can find powdered taragaon/sage to make it all granular style. 1/1/2/1/1 would be my ratios lines.

I'm still sous vide averse, but this thread has been making me look at my reasoning in a new light.