Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When I first got my Shun knives I sustained considerable finger damage on multiple occasions trying to dice onions super fast like the TV chefs do.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sorry, but this is just a silly post. "Oh, you have a different method for cutting one veg from another? Stupid. Cut them all exactly the same so you can practice and not hurt yourself." The method that Gordon Ramsay shows for cutting onions is superior in every way, which is why all chefs use it. With very little practice, anyone can do it and get excellent results. I'm never going to use the same technique to dice carrots and onions anyway, as they have entirely different demands due to shape and hardness as well as the desired result.

Up your game, man.
Guy I was specifically talking to (sorry, didn't quote) said he has the knife skills of a "fucking newborn" and in my opinion lateral slices while dicing onions is not an amateur hour move. It's useful (damn near required for smaller dices) but not something amateur home chefs should really be playing with. It's just asking for hand injuries until you are super familiar with knives/your knives.

And dicing onions is great practice for other shit, don't know what you're smoking =p Yeah it's not identical to dicing carrots, but it teaches control and motion, which are key for slicing everything. You will need different techniques to do other ingredients at acceptable speeds, but the basics are solid.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
But what's the most efficient method to cut an onion? I want to keep my CPO (cuts per onion) as low as possible.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
But what's the most efficient method to cut an onion? I want to keep my CPO (cuts per onion) as low as possible.
this
After halving it, I don't do lateral slices, but radial slices (90, 60, and 30 then 120 and 150 degrees). Makes more sense to me considering the round shape of an onion, but it probably doesn't make any difference in the overall dice.

AB does it at the end of the video.

i have no idea why he takes the paring shit knife in the beginning, waste of time imo, you could just rip that shit off w/ your hand, no reason to dirty another knife to wash.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Man, I have tried to watch Alton Brown's show, but he's too much of a damned freakshownerd. Too quirky. I respect the skills and abilities he has, don't get me wrong. But the show just rubs me the wrong way. He's trying to be too smart, or something.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Man, I have tried to watch Alton Brown's show, but he's too much of a damned freakshownerd. Too quirky. I respect the skills and abilities he has, don't get me wrong. But the show just rubs me the wrong way. He's trying to be too smart, or something.
It's like Beakman's World with food.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's pretty much an direct ripoff of Beakman's World. You're right.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I enjoy Alton Brown because he gives you the theories/science behind why you cook something a certain way, or with certain ingredients. His episodes aren't so much about making 1 particular recipe, but teaching you the ideas behind it so that you can apply it to many things.

Any schmo can follow an exact recipe that some celebrity chef lays out for you, Alton Brown gives you the knowledge you need to create your own recipes

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've never watched it but he's a big gun nut and is a regular on a big fun board I frequent.

AltonBrown.jpg