Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't think I've ever seen them in corn tortillas and they are basically served everywhere down here.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I rotate tortilla type. I'll eat flour till I crave corn. Corn til I crave flour.

Is there a third? A faggot no-corn, no-gluten tortilla?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I googled "flaxseed tortillas" as a joke and they actually exist
frown.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
We make fish tacos quite a bit, honestly I usually just use any white fish filet (tilapia, cod, mahi mahi, etc) and just put a light rub of olive oil + taco seasoning on them and bake them in the oven. Super easy, and healthier than deep frying while still having a good amount of flavor.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every time I make something in my slow cooker, it just tastes so fucking bland.

Just gonna grill everything fuck it.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
What are you making in your slow cooker? Are you browning meats before putting them in? Slow cookers rule, but you can't just put shit in and not season or brown it properly and expect it to taste good.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I threw 3 pounds of chicken with a whole onion, one red pepper, one green pepper, a fuckton of garlic and two habaneros. Sauteed it all, then seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. I make this on the stove all the time and it's delicious, but I didn't have time to cook so I threw it in the slow cooker and went to bed. But it came out so meh. Idk why
frown.png

And I'm very heavy on seasoning too.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm not a huge fan of lean meat(chicken) in the slow cooker, especially if it's breasts/white meat. Shit just gets so dry, and chicken doesn't seem to absorb surrounding liquids very well for additional flavor.

I'm definitely more a fan of cooking something that has a nice layer of fat on it to melt down and flavor everything, like a roast.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've found my slow cooker doesn't get hot enough to soften some vegetables like onions, peppers, or carrots. I know you didn't mention a texture problem, but I'm mentioning as an example that slow cookers cannot be used to replace other methods of cooking.

A saute, besides browning meats and vegetables, will also soften veggies and drive out excess moisture. In a slow cooker, the moisture goes right back into the dish, diluting the flavors.

Is that ground chicken? That sounds like a chili recipe without beans. All the liquid that given off by ground meat usually gets drained. Not so if you toss it in a slow cooker.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Did the chicken have the skin and bones or was it boneless/skinless? I think a whole chicken is pretty good cooked low and slow but boneless skinless chicken breasts or whatever don't have enough fat to cook a long time.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I haven't done many slowcooker chicken recipes, but when I do the chicken is added at the very end and it's already cooked. Pretty much just warm it through and serve.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Could be the lean meat theory. I'm cutting so it's endless chicken breast for me.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, you're better off just baking that shit(or throwing them on the grill). Slow cooker is better suited for tougher/fattier cuts of meat.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Make your stock from chicken bones and skin and just grill the chicken and throw it in when your ready. If you use a slow cooker you are basically boiling the chicken and overcooking the fuck out of it. I hate chicken that shreds.