Gravy's Cooking Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Were checking out this thanksgiving. Going to our cabin in N Michigan. And while we have all the shit there to make a masterful thanksgiving dinner, were probably going to be eating hamburgers,hot dogs, chili and shit like that. And somehow this is a great weight off my chest, lol.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good homemade cranberry sauce is fucking amazing, don't serve that shit in a can. And it's super easy to make, involves boiling the cranberries and sugar for like 5-10 minutes or so.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Never tried, always just bought a bag while getting the rest of the thanksgiving ingredients. I think fresh cranberries have a decent shelf life if I'm not mistaken.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I want to do something different with a turkey this year, anyone got any ideas? I don't have a smoker, I always do the AB turkey recipe. Saw a smoked turkey recipe from Flay and it made me want to try something a bit different. Thought about going with fried but I don't want to invest in the equipment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Out of all the turkeys ive had for thanksgiving I still think deep fried is best. My dad got a a setup, I think it was like $50, came with a pan, temp probe, lid, burner and the line.

They do typical huge baked along with a smaller deep fried one ever since. (lots of people) Nice thick crisp skin and juicy and tasty as fuck.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Maybe I should just shell out the dough for it. Can you fry a 22 lb bird?

edit - meh, internet says no. Maybe I'll try an oven-smoke.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Thanks, homie. Maybe I'll do a fried turkey and give turkey one last chance this year(we totally skipped turkey last year, for the first time in my life).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've had it before, and it was pretty fucking good. Not sure if it is worth the hassle and cleanup though.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I hate turkey.

The wife said the sous vide turkey was amazing though so I am doing it again. She bought a 15 pound bird and I deboned it and got only 7 pounds out of it.

iUsbzwW.jpg

Here it is in its bath. We will do it for 5 hours tonight and then put it in the freezer after a quick cold bath and then broil it the day of after thawing it out overnight.

l94CRvH.jpg
chaos chaos
can you do a 22 pound bird like this?

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I want to do something different with a turkey this year, anyone got any ideas? I don't have a smoker, I always do the AB turkey recipe. Saw a smoked turkey recipe from Flay and it made me want to try something a bit different. Thought about going with fried but I don't want to invest in the equipment.

This has been on my to-do list for thanksgiving since I heard about it 2 years ago. Have some friends who tried it and said it was great. Personally I would use the same seasoning for this as I would for crawfish, but those measurements deal with finger lengths on side of the season bottles. So pretty much what they have for seasoning as well as a good bit of hot sauce and cayenne pepper

Thanksgiving recipe: Cajun boiled turkey will spice up your feast

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That looks interesting. Between trying that and doing a fried turkey and crawfish etc it may be worth it to actually buy one of those damn turkey fryers.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My pal went hunting a couple days ago and bagged two elks. Thanksgiving will be a feast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user