Gravy's Cooking Thread

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My parents have been living with me while they build a new house. Last night mom did the full Thanksgiving meal thing. So good. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
My parents have been living with me while they build a new house. Last night mom did the full Thanksgiving meal thing. So good. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy.

Yeah mine likes to do 'practice' every year which she did last Sunday. I don't actually think she needs the 'practice' anymore. She's been doing this for like 20+ years. It's just an excuse to get all her kids and grandkids over to her house for a Sunday dinner. Not that I'm complaining. For 'practice' Thanksgiving we use those pre-made Bob Evans mashed potatoes and then corn and cranberry sauce from a can, but the turkey and gravy itself is legit, as is the stuffing. I honestly am quite okay with that. If a cook is going to cheat a bit on Thanksgiving, I'd rather they cheat a bit on the potatoes, corn, and cranberry sauce than to cheat on the turkey and the stuffing.

So I am way behind most of you in terms of cooking ability, knowledge, and skill. This is the first year in my life where I have had my own grill and my own back patio to work on. I've always been a bit of a drifting renter and never bothered to buy a grill. So this year I have gone full-bore into smoking chicken wings in various ways. This November has been unseasonably warm so I decided to fire up the grill again tonight in the dark. I ended up making maybe the best plate of wings so far in my life. It's so simple, but so damn good.

Rinse wings and pat dry. Salt and Pepper both sides. Soak 2 handfuls of Cherry chips and 2 handfuls of Apple chips in water for about 30 mins. Drain chips. Indirect grill the chicken with the lid on for 25 mins with two handfuls of wood chips. Flip them, then cook 25 more mins with another two handfuls of wood chips. Then add Grandma Millie's Sweet N' Spicy BBQ sauce to the chicken, let cook for 5 mins. Add another layer of sauce. Let cook for 5 more mins. And that's it.

Best motherfucking wings of my life. I'm starting to get the hang of this. I purposefully made extra so I'd have leftovers for my partner at work tomorrow so I can bask in his praise and adulation.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I've had it before, and it was pretty fucking good. Not sure if it is worth the hassle and cleanup though.
No hassle buy 3-5 gal peanut oil, but first you need to measure the displacement with water, then fill it to that line with oil, heat it up, and slowly lower dried turkey. Then stand there, have a few beers, shoot the shit with some other males watching and monitor the temp. Like 30-45 min its done, depending on weight. Slowly raise it, let it drip a min, place it on serving tray. Bonus fry up some other shit while oil is hot, like homemade fries, sweet potato fries, etc..or whatever. If size matters just get 2 smaller birds, bake one or smoke it,and fry the other one. When done, set the shit inside your garage covered and then the next day pour the oil back into container, it can be used again. You can strain it if you want but no need. Then clean pot. Simple as that.

Burner can also be used for other shit like making beer, crab boils, even canning shit from garden.

Last edited:

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
^ That's good shit.

I've decided to go with the fried turkey this year since my girlfriend got a free turkey from work. Anyone have a link to a good how-to / recipe with the brine and fryer? Will pick up that Lowe's fryer this weekend.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm frying a turkey for this year as well. Did a 10 pounder last weekend as a test run and even though I fucked up a couple things it turned out amazing. There is just no competition with how moist the breast is with a fried turkey. I brined it for like 8 hours and in my opinion it was right on the edge of being too salty, but it was delicious.

I bought a pot that is bigger than the standard turkey fryer and it's going to take a little bit of modification of the burner to use, but I'm hoping I can do a bigger turkey that way.

There is a Good Eats episode on frying turkeys called "Fry Turkey Fry".

Actually it's on YouTube.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think he gets a little carried away with the safety shit but obviously it's dangerous. The main things are to make sure the turkey is fully defrosted, not put in too much oil, and I always turn the flame off when lifting the bird into or out of the oil.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I would do fried turkey every year if I could, but than I have to listen to mother complain that she doesn't get any juices to make real gravy

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I live in a pretty small town and when frying turkey started to be a thing at least one house ended up on fire those first few years.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I would do fried turkey every year if I could, but than I have to listen to mother complain that she doesn't get any juices to make real gravy

You don't get any stuffing either. I've been wondering if you could cook down the giblets to get stock for the gravy and stuffing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think putting stuffing inside the bird is weird. I prefer a baked dressing. You get more of the crispy pieces when you do that.

• 1Solidarity

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I agree with chaos. I love the crunchy edges. My dad's recipe (if you can call it that - it is not written anywhere - he just makes it) is very eggy and has the giblets in it. Fucking tasty. It took G a few years to develop a taste for it as he was accustomed to stuffing.
(Why is it that my odd brain just went from turkey to stuffing to "hee hee - he stuffed me plenty of times...I may be here too much...)

(Edited to correct typographical errors.)

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If you're frying Turkey don't skimp on high heat gloves and of course watch the AB video twice. (i don't think anyone has to do it so silly like he has it tho, we did just your standard lowering a few years ago).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So I think this year snce I already bought turkeyzilla, going with an herb-butter turkey, kind of like Ina Garten's recipe. Next year I am about 90% sure I'm buying a fryer and doing that up.

Other than that, very simple stuff, Sweet potatoes, greens, mashes potatoes, dressing, etc. The most adventurous thing I'm doing is a pumpkin cheesecake.