Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mostly roasts but in the winter I am looking for some soups, and a way to roast some veggies and not have them get all dried out. But fuggin America's Test Kitchen uses them for all the things

They make a damn fine loaf of bread too.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yep, got my dutch oven based on america's test kitchen, fucker is so god damn useful though. I even use it as a standard pan/skillet, which has limited the amount of shit I have to constantly take out, put away, clean etc.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yep, got my dutch oven based on america's test kitchen, fucker is so god damn useful though. I even use it as a standard pan/skillet, which has limited the amount of shit I have to constantly take out, put away, clean etc.
What was their recommended dutch oven?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They recommended the all clad stainless steel but it is pricey as hell - but I went with the cheaper calphalon stainless steel and it hasn't let me down yet. Stews, soups, roasts, skillet use, etc.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They recommended the all clad stainless steel but it is pricey as hell - but I went with the cheaper calphalon stainless steel and it hasn't let me down yet. Stews, soups, roasts, skillet use, etc.
I thought a requirement for dutch oven was cast iron.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They may not be called dutch ovens, but the stainless versions are for all intents and purposes, at least that's how I understand it. And a lot of the recipes they use wouldn't work too well in a cast iron due to acid content (tomato sauces, wine sauces, etc)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Are the stainless steel versions very thick so that they'll hold lots of thermal energy like cast iron?

I've never used a non-enameled dutch oven, haven't seen a point yet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They may not be called dutch ovens, but the stainless versions are for all intents and purposes, at least that's how I understand it. And a lot of the recipes they use wouldn't work too well in a cast iron due to acid content (tomato sauces, wine sauces, etc)

Or maybe ATK are just paid shills for All-Clad? every review has All Clad winning

That's like asking what's the best kitchen knife?

DUURR just get a Kramer knife
10_slide.png

HOLY FUCK, i was only kidding, but they actually say the best Chef knife IS a fucking Bob Kramer Knife (I'm not saying it's not, it's fucking thousands, and a Kramer Knife is a status symbol of awesomeness)

(but that's not the real Bob Kramer knives, his shit is made by Henkels shit)

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't get the all clad. There are other stainless versions besides all clad, was just talking about stainless vs cast iron.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Or maybe ATK are just paid shills for All-Clad? every review has All Clad winning

That's like asking what's the best kitchen knife?

DUURR just get a Kramer knife
View attachment 96632

HOLY FUCK, i was only kidding, but they actually say the best Chef knife IS a fucking Bob Kramer Knife (I'm not saying it's not, it's fucking thousands, and a Kramer Knife is a status symbol of awesomeness)

(but that's not the real Bob Kramer knives, his shit is made by Henkels shit)

I have a Victorinox 8 inch knife that i absolutely love.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Use a whetstone like a man and become one with the blade.

CyFyMRL.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users