Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm going to do a test run on the turkey fryer this weekend. Going to do wings instead of a turkey, but just generally trying to get a feel for how this thing works. I've tried baked wings a few times the past few months, used both of AB's recipes, they never quit cut it. Never really the kind of crispness you want. So looking forward to that, if they turn out good it will be great victory. I bought the turkey I'm frying already, a little worried as the smallest one I could find was 19.2 lbs, and the fryer says it takes up to 20 lbs, so cutting it pretty close there.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Well I got a pressure cooker so if anyone has some easy recipes, hook a brotha up.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Ok, but can you stop using the word "tendies"?

If you haven't had chicken tendies, then you obviously haven't been wasted, laughing, and eaten chicken tenders, or discussed them laughingly.

I stand with mkopec on the tendie v tender debate!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm going to do a test run on the turkey fryer this weekend. Going to do wings instead of a turkey, but just generally trying to get a feel for how this thing works. I've tried baked wings a few times the past few months, used both of AB's recipes, they never quit cut it. Never really the kind of crispness you want. So looking forward to that, if they turn out good it will be great victory. I bought the turkey I'm frying already, a little worried as the smallest one I could find was 19.2 lbs, and the fryer says it takes up to 20 lbs, so cutting it pretty close there.

On a related note, if anyone wants to buy a turkey fryer now, they're usually like 40% off in the clearance aisle.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
chaos chaos you will never cook a Turkey in the oven again.

Be sure and put the uncooked turkey in, fill with oil (leave room for expansion), pull the turkey out, then heat the oil. While I found watching my idiot neighbor nearly go up in flames highly enjoyable due to overfilling the oil, I don't know you well enough to hate you. Yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The fried turkey I did on Thanksgiving was pretty good(for a turkey). I'm still a proponent for no turkey at all, but now that I have the fryer, may as well use it.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I love this shit right here:

Evan%20Williams%20Eggnog%20750ml.png

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
So I need advice. I imagine BrutulTM BrutulTM will be a wealth of information on this but maybe any of you know.

Grilling in cold weather.

I want to make Grandpa's wings on Christmas. I have a basic 22" Weber and use basic Kingsford charcoal and I add soaked apple and cherry wood chips. I usually cook them with indirect hear right at about an hour.

Do I add more coals in the beginning? Do I add more coals as I go? Should I add any time or consider adding time?

Ultimately, the grill does have a thermometer, and I will use a meat thermometer before I serve the wings, so I can adjust as I go. But I've never done this before and I don't want to mess it up on Christmas. Any good tips from anyone or things I should consider?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hmm, I don't do a lot of grilling in the winter but I don't generally do anything special. I haven't really tried smoking or indirect heat with a timer though. I think I'd do a dry run and see what happens if that's an option.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I grill all the time in the winter. Of course temp varies quite a bit here in the winter, but about as cold I got was in the 25F-30F? range and it was fine but this is on my gas grill. I never tried shit like smoking or indirect heating though, usually slap on some steaks or chicken breasts and grill at a high temp. It definitely takes a bit longer to heat up the grill and actually cook the meat.

I do have one of those komodo grills too but never tried it in the winter. Its a cheaper $350 akorn grill from home depot so its not ceramic or whatever, but its an insulated metal and keeps the temp even really well, im sure something like this would do really well in the winter. But also way more hassle than I want.

But I would definitely add more charcoal for sure, as it will take more time to heat the grill and more time to actually cook the wings maybe even closer to the heat source since the grill is losing some of that convection dome heat that the webbers have.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Hmm, I don't do a lot of grilling in the winter but I don't generally do anything special. I haven't really tried smoking or indirect heat with a timer though. I think I'd do a dry run and see what happens if that's an option.

Yeah I think a dry run is in order. Any excuse to make wings is a good excuse.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I grill all the time in the winter. Of course temp varies quite a bit here in the winter, but about as cold I got was in the 25F-30F? range and it was fine but this is on my gas grill. I never tried shit like smoking or indirect heating though, usually slap on some steaks or chicken breasts and grill at a high temp. It definitely takes a bit longer to heat up the grill and actually cook the meat.

I do have one of those komodo grills too but never tried it in the winter. Its a cheaper $350 akorn grill from home depot so its not ceramic or whatever, but its an insulated metal and keeps the temp even really well, im sure something like this would do really well in the winter. But also way more hassle than I want.

But I would definitely add more charcoal for sure, as it will take more time to heat the grill and more time to actually cook the wings maybe even closer to the heat source since the grill is losing some of that convection dome heat that the webbers have.

That's my main concern. The way I cook them almost requires the heat to pass over the surface of the dome first before it hits the chicken so it will definitely lose heat as it does. More coals seems like the right answer because in my experience it's better to err a bit on the side of overdone than underdone. Good advice guys thanks.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
28 degrees out and I added maybe 1/3 extra coals. I kept the time the same and they actually came out a bit overdone lol. They were still delicious but a tad crispier than I would want. Thanks for the advice though and the dry run did allow me to note that the weather did affect the heat in the grill, but not by nearly as much as I was afraid it would. It also helped that there was no wind. I'll maybe only up the coals by 1/4th or a 1/5th next time. Thanks again gents.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Made and ate Shakshuka for the first time.
cd8891f5-9fde-4baf-abc6-a2c27b2ddecb
q9nOmFa.png

10/10 would Shakshuka again

q9nOmFa.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
That looks awesome. Did you spice it pretty intensely? I think I might be able to make that with a side of noodles for my family.