Gravy's Cooking Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I didn't go spicy, but I will next time - hit it with sriracha and leave more jalapeno seeds in. I took the recipe from Food Wishes but didn't have mushrooms or feta (which I'm guessing aren't usually what's in this north African dish)

I also used fresh roma tomatoes instead of canned.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've started using canned tomatoes in a lot of recipes instead of the "fresh" tomatoes at the super market. The super market ones always taste like nothing, where as the canned always have a very good tomato flavor. I know growing your own usually is the best, but the produce sections are almost always shite. I should probably check out some farmer markets as I imagine they pick theirs when they are ripe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've started using canned tomatoes in a lot of recipes instead of the "fresh" tomatoes at the super market. The super market ones always taste like nothing, where as the canned always have a very good tomato flavor. I know growing your own usually is the best, but the produce sections are almost always shite. I should probably check out some farmer markets as I imagine they pick theirs when they are ripe.

This. Unless you have a garden, or know someone who does, canned tomatoes are better for sauce than fresh ones.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think that's because most of the fresh ones turn ripen during shipping, which means they ripen from age not actually from exposure to sunlight. If you happen to find some in-season that are vine ripened locally, you might have better results, but I usually use canned or my own garden.

Also I could be wrong about the ripening during shipping thing.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're mostly right. They're picked and shipped green because it's better for shipping. Then they are gassed with ethylene the "ripen" them. Really the only change is color. Since they aren't on the vine, there's no sugar development.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's also the variety. Tomatoes grown for supermarkets are bred to withstand shipping, which is why they are all white and pithy inside. Tomatoes just don't travel well so if you have to get them from California to North Dakota in January, they're going to be bred for durability over flavor. The canned ones can be picked ripe and put directly in cans right at the farm so they don't have to be so tough and you can focus on flavor.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Rather than going back and forth ad nauseum about this, ICHALLENGEyou to cook a sous-vide steak. Surely you have an ice-chest, hot water, ziplock bags and a thermometer. Rather than telling us how you wouldn't eat one on a plane or on a train, in a box or with a fox, cook one up and report back.

Here is a link if you need it, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to handle it:Sous-Vide 101: Prime Steak Primer | Serious Eats

*edit: If you are really up for a challenge, get 2 nice thick pieces (3"+ imo, sous-vide really shines with the thicker the cut) of your choice cut, sous-vide one and grill the other then do a side-by-side.
I have a friend coming for dinner tonight. He was alone this holiday evening (no family) and I just couldn't stand the thought of that for someone. (Maybe I do take in strays...) ANYWAY - using the sous vide for some 2" steaks tonight. So glad I could search "sous vide steaks" in this thread and POOF - I will have it under control now. Thanks!

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Muh oyster tray

O6Nrju8h.jpg

• 2Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I have spent myself today.

Beef Wellington wrapped and in the fridge ready for the oven.

Panna Cotta stiff and ready for fresh fig topping.

Root veg ready for roasting.

Potatoes gonna be mashed.

Persimmon Pudding made.

Cheese fondue to start.

20 people coming. It's going to be awesome.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I have spent myself today.

Beef Wellington wrapped and in the fridge ready for the oven.

Panna Cotta stiff and ready for fresh fig topping.

Root veg ready for roasting.

Potatoes gonna be mashed.

Persimmon Pudding made.

Cheese fondue to start.

20 people coming. It's going to be awesome.

We also hosted tonight, but nowhere near a menu like that! How'd it all turn out?

I did make those cold weather wings (wasn't really that cold) and they were perfect. Thanks for the earlier advice ya'll!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
We also hosted tonight, but nowhere near a menu like that! How'd it all turn out?

I did make those cold weather wings (wasn't really that cold) and they were perfect. Thanks for the earlier advice ya'll!

Everything turned out just as hoped. The Beef Wellington was the star of the evening - the meat came out so tender you didn't need a knife to cut it, and there was just the right ratio of meat, mushrooms, and pastry. I was really happy, and I even have a couple of slices of it left for lunch today.

Also, I can't remember if I've already posted about this here, but this book is awesome, and we always have fresh bread. I cook a loaf almost every day during cold-weather months. I hate to run my oven when my air conditioner is working... In any case, this book is great, and I recommend it.

The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking: Jeff Hertzberg M.D., Zoë François, Stephen Scott Gross: 9781250018281: Amazon.com: Books

• 2Like

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
If anyone is curious, The eggnog I made back in November was a hit, even with people who say they don't like eggnog. One batch was definitely not enough.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I didn't do anything as fancy as you guys. But my deep fried turkey was fucking amazing and worth every bit of the money and effort I spent. Not sure what to use the remaining oil on, and I know how much it takes now so I know what to expect, next time will go much smoother. Cleanup is the only thing I don't have down to a science yet, but I greatly improved this time over my test.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We did a Christmas brunch at my mom's house. I made zeppole. They were pretty damn good.

e8bRmEH.jpg

• 1Like