Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
But then you are buying a sodastream from the man to start off. DIY is way better even if it is 10x as large and requires a $1500 welder in order to make. (not saying it does, just that a lot of DIY that I see does)
You'll be making soda in the garage, cuz that thing is not gonna be wife approved in the kitchen. Heck the kitchen is my domain, and it wouldn't even be approved by me.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You'll be making soda in the garage, cuz that thing is not gonna be wife approved in the kitchen. Heck the kitchen is my domain, and it wouldn't even be approved by me.
I just clicked on it and yeah that thing is terrible. It's more expensive than a soda stream even with an adapter also.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I just clicked on it and yeah that thing is terrible. It's more expensive than a soda stream even with an adapter also.

I know math is hard, but the cheapest sodastream is $60 plus $50 for the adapter and $30 for the bottle is $140 vs. $130 on the DIY version. I suppose the sodastream looks more kitcheny if are a woman and you want it out on the counter when you're not using it but the DIY version lets you carbonate any size bottle and not just the ones that fit in the sodastream, and you can use a 24 oz or larger CO2 canister that wouldn't fit in the sodastream.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You don't buy a sodastream to save money. You buy one cause it's a neat little gadget that can be used for things besides soda. With the adapter you just eliminate having to buy sodastreams co2.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I know math is hard, but the cheapest sodastream is $60 plus $50 for the adapter and $30 for the bottle is $140 vs. $130 on the DIY version. I suppose the sodastream looks more kitcheny if are a woman and you want it out on the counter when you're not using it but the DIY version lets you carbonate any size bottle and not just the ones that fit in the sodastream, and you can use a 24 oz or larger CO2 canister that wouldn't fit in the sodastream.
It comes with a canister already so subtract $30 and now it's $20 less and isn't a total science experiment in the garage.

I have had one for five years, same one.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It comes with a canister already so subtract $30 and now it's $20 less and isn't a total science experiment in the garage.

I have had one for five years, same one.

Hey now, tone down that choice-supportive bias.

And to be fair, you WANT the science experiment in the garage. Much easier to hose everything down if/when a bottle bursts.

That said, if I was a pro-carbonation man, I'd probably do the DIY version. If it's got to be pretty, build it a box or something to live in.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Hey now, tone down that choice-supportive bias.

And to be fair, you WANT the science experiment in the garage. Much easier to hose everything down if/when a bottle bursts.

That said, if I was a pro-carbonation man, I'd probably do the DIY version. If it's got to be pretty, build it a box or something to live in.
I am all about DIY for a lot of things but not for something that is going to be introduced to my food and water. That isn't going to be in the garage.

The soda stream has a pressure cutoff valve built in well below the tolerance of those bottles and safety isn't an issue.

That home made thing .... different story entirely.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Just got done smoking some chicken legs, they turned out amazing.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a steak and probably the same on monday.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My brisket is prepared. Did it a little differently - 48 hours in the sous vide at 154, then coated it with a brown sugar/salt/mustard coating and put it in the oven at 250 for 4 hours. Nice, hard crust now. I may post pictures when I cut it open if I can control myself.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Then you need a bigger kitchen! I have a kitchen gadget addiction and this fucking place sure as hell doesn't help.
I've already got a stand mixer, food processor, dehydrator, deep fryer (big enough for a turkey), two different coffee makers, a griddle, blender, then there's other kitchen stuff like a wok, cast iron skillet, teapot, etc. At some point I have to draw a line.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My brisket is prepared. Did it a little differently - 48 hours in the sous vide at 154, then coated it with a brown sugar/salt/mustard coating and put it in the oven at 250 for 4 hours. Nice, hard crust now. I may post pictures when I cut it open if I can control myself.
I want your meat in and around my mouth.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I want your meat in and around my mouth.

I'm sorry, I didn't take pictures, and there is not a scrap of brisket left. You'll have to settle for my regular meat.

So, this preparation was different than I usually do, and I think I like what I usually do better. Packing the salt/brownsugar/etc. mixture around the meat and then baking it four hours definitely gave the brisket a good flavour, but it was dryer that usual, and the hard (very hard, had to star the cuts with a serrated knife) was too salt-heavy, though I followed the recipe precisely. That all got scraped off and left on the plate. But the flavour was spot on, for sure. Which is always nice when you have spent two days anticipating the meat already cooking.

Question - I'm using Ziplock bags for my sous vide, and some how, don't understand how, some of the beef juice is in the sous vide water by the end. Like it's coming through osmosis through the bag. The bag has no leaks, but you can smell the beef cooking in the house, which is both heavenly and frustrating. Anyone else encountering that? Anyone have an explanation?

Finally, I tried an extreme salad tonight in the hope of having something acidic along with the rich brisket. I went the fridge to see what I had, and then googled recipes. It was a kale with pickled rhubarb salad with chunks of gouda, soft croutons and pine nuts. Everyone was undecided. No one hated it, one of my kids strongly liked (not loved it), but everyone ate it, and at the end of the meal said we should try it again sometime. I think it grew on people as they ate more of it with the other things on the plate.

Sorry for the novel.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Got that Kamado thing assembled yesterday... now to do the intial cleaning of the cast iron grate(s) and a first burn.

I am assuming the lump charcoal really is all that special, and I should use it, right?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Lump all the way in a komodo. And if you want smoke, add some applewood, or hickory or whatever wood you want as an adjunct. I use the cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to start it. The lump itself will provide a slight hint of smoke, but you want to really smoke something you need the adjuncts. Dont use briquettes, they are garbage in komodo.

Only hint I can give you is slowly bring up your heat, because once its over your temp, it takes some time to cool down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I love when I just start throwing ingredients together, no rhyme or reason, and it turns out well. I cooked a small beef arm roast...used cold leftover coffee and cabernet as braising and deglazing liquids, thyme, tarragon, onion, garlic and a bunch of black pepper as spice/seasoning. The sauce was slightly bitter, so I added a couple T of Brooks catsup for sweetness. It also thickened the sauce. Sounds weird...tasted great. It was really rich in flavor so I didn't even need to eat but a few ounces. I paired it with mixed greens salad. Yum. I will never be able to re-create it.