Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sure, then just eat a red onion and spare the rest of the salad's ingredients from being overpowered. Of that list, maybe the briniest of olives and the dressing are standing up to raw red onion.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lets talk hardware, i was able to get my allclad pan to my temp place. (had to get a new one cuz old one wasn't induction ready, temp place is also induction) i have a cooks standard set in this place and while it's nice, it doesn't heat up as well/fast as the allclad (which is also new, so i'm still "learning" my pans). Anyone got tips on induction? i know just to use the proper sized ring for the pan and its easy as shit to clean.

I've mostly used allclad and my seasoned cast irons(i know they'll work on induction), and a few of the throw away ceramic pans when i don't feel like cleaning.

I only have 1 pan and 1 knife, dear lord this place actually has a real "Ginsu" knife set, like on tv. What are ya'll using for stainless pans?

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
raw-red-onions-1024x593.png

Sorry, it was harder than I thought to just find an image of Scott Conant pissed off.
Oh gosh, G hated him. Chopped or some of the other contest style cooking shows were programs he and I would watch together making bets as to who would win. We liked the Great British Bake-Off...I haven't watched Chopped since January 2016. I don't watch much TV anymore. Don't really know why I keep it.

• 1Solidarity

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Sure, then just eat a red onion and spare the rest of the salad's ingredients from being overpowered. Of that list, maybe the briniest of olives and the dressing are standing up to raw red onion.
He was sparing with the onion and it was a very sweet one. The ingredients complimented one another well.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Why do they sell cilantro in quantities that are only suitable for a Mexican restaurant?

California problems. Here you get 7 basil leaves in a plastic clamshell for $6 and you're lucky if they're not dried out or moldy. I never appreciated the ability to buy a bundle of fresh basil the size of my head for $3 when I lived down there.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What are ya'll using for stainless pans?

The only good thing about stainless pans is that they look nice hanging on the wall. All you need for cooking is cast iron and one cheap non-stick one for eggs.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Made some fresh bread and mussels(with garlic aioli) a couple weeks ago. One of my favorite cheap/easy meals(though the bread takes several hours of planning ahead).

IMG_20170624_220206 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20170624_231543 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20170624_231547 - Copy.jpg

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm growing a metric fuck-tonne of roma tomatoes this summer. We are eating a lot of bruschetta. Super easy, take the tomatoes, cube them in little pieces, add salt and pepper (not too much salt), chop up a LOT of basil from the garden, use the microplaner and shred a butt-load of Parmesan into the mix. Serve it on a baguette you cooked earlier, and it could be an entire meal in itself.

Even my teenage kids will eat some of that every day. Fresh tomatoes, basil, and bread are awesome.

u no garlic?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I live in SF. It's easy to find a quality carniceria that'll have the goods.

But I don't really buy meat for the house anymore because this faggy place has gotten to me and I'm primarily vegetarian now.

• 5Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Did your roommates shun you for having some beef in the fridge?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Mussels are delicious and usually ez to make.

One of my faves: Spicy Mussels with Chorizo and Wine

Only difference is I usually can't find good chorizo in my area, so I just find a spicy Italian sausage instead. I also once subbed chicken stock for veggie stock and it gave it a whole different delicious flavour.
That recipe looks good. The ones I did above were just a simple white wine sauce and I added a couple plops of the aioli in it. It was based on a Serious Eats recipe.

Speaking of Serious Eats, I'm prepping sous vide ribs tonight (Sous Vide Barbecue Pork Ribs Recipe). Got 4 full racks for Saturday night. Gonna rub / rest tonight and then drop in the bath Friday before I go to work. Gonna' do half of them dry and half of them white(per that recipe).

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
The key is to have a lot of other good shit to eat before Saturday night(and a shitload of gin).