Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Just sew a harness and carry the BGE on your back. Like this, but swap the baby with a BGE:

concentric_75855b8b-67de-487f-945f-0f902259ed7d_1024x1024.jpeg

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Had a killer salsa at a friend's place yesterday. Grabbed the recipe. Basically the usual tomato salsa + pineapple:

Fresh pineapple
Roma Tomatoes
Onions
Peppers
Jalapeño Peppers
Cilantro
Lots of fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm growing a metric fuck-tonne of roma tomatoes this summer. We are eating a lot of bruschetta. Super easy, take the tomatoes, cube them in little pieces, add salt and pepper (not too much salt), chop up a LOT of basil from the garden, use the microplaner and shred a butt-load of Parmesan into the mix. Serve it on a baguette you cooked earlier, and it could be an entire meal in itself.

Even my teenage kids will eat some of that every day. Fresh tomatoes, basil, and bread are awesome.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I'm growing a metric fuck-tonne of roma tomatoes this summer. We are eating a lot of bruschetta. Super easy, take the tomatoes, cube them in little pieces, add salt and pepper (not too much salt), chop up a LOT of basil from the garden, use the microplaner and shred a butt-load of Parmesan into the mix. Serve it on a baguette you cooked earlier, and it could be an entire meal in itself.

Even my teenage kids will eat some of that every day. Fresh tomatoes, basil, and bread are awesome.
My tomatoes are just now beginning to ripen; the cherries and yellow pears are first...I don't think my few basil plants are going to keep up with my demand for salads though. I am salivating in anticipation of the first caprese concoction.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My tomatoes are just now beginning to ripen; the cherries and yellow pears are first...I don't think my few basil plants are going to keep up with my demand for salads though. I am salivating in anticipation of the first caprese concoction.

That has been my issue every year, so this year I made space for 25 basil plants. Whatever is left at the end of the season will make pesto. So far, it's keeping up with demand.

I also just saw a recipe for basil sorbet. I'm dubious, but might try it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

We grew a shit ton last year. I had 2 huge roma plants that produced endless fruit. What I did is cut them up, boiled them down for a few hours, then strained it through a fine mesh collander (get rid of skins and seeds) and froze it in gallon bags. Got like 6 bags out of the deal when all done. And had tomato puree for spaghetti and chili sauce for the winter.

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I recently planted my first veggies(black cherry tomatoes and jalapenos) and they are just now bearing some fruit. I'm stoked. I wish I had an actual yard to build a big garden in, but being in a town house, I'm limited to big pots on my side porch! I also got a calamansi tree, which has a shit ton of fruit budding right now (Calamondin - Wikipedia).

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just got an indoor garden and I planted some basil, cilantro, and mint. Hope this shit works because I hate having to buy fresh herbs all the time. Why do they sell cilantro in quantities that are only suitable for a Mexican restaurant?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
When I'm finished living in the city having a place with a lime and lemon tree will be a requirement.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Don't hate on veggies. Sometimes I like to roast some with my eggy wegs and steaky wakes.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Dammit. If it goes into something savory, I'm calling that shit a veggie. Y'all can't stop me.

• 1Solidarity