Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I made jerky with chicken breast in the Nesco. It did not turn out as expected. I marinated the breasts for a suuper long time in a mixture of worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, molasses, garlic, liquid smoke, and pepper. More than 48 hours but less than 72. When I dried it out, the first mistake I made was cutting the strips too thick. I copied a recipe online, they did it pretty thick so did I. It took way too long to dry them out, like 12 hours at 160. Then resulting product more closely resembles super dried out chicken breast than any kind of jerky. And I expected the flavor to be intense since I marinated them so long, not the case. It was mild if anything. Not my best work, for sure.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I saw ab on tour and he said his dream chicken would have four legs and thighs, I agree.

You can barely get any flavor out of the boob. Asian cooking is all about dat ass.

Imo frying is about the only way to really impart flavor into the chicken boob, but that depends on how good you are at frying with good oil/lard (and not soaking).

Also, all the prepackaged boobs look like frankenbirds. It's why I get my chickens either whole or boneless thigh.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I saw ab on tour and he said his dream chicken would have four legs and thighs, I agree.

You can barely get any flavor out of the boob. Asian cooking is all about dat ass.

Imo frying is about the only way to really impart flavor into the chicken boob, but that depends on how good you are at frying with good oil/lard (and not soaking).

Also, all the prepackaged boobs look like frankenbirds. It's why I get my chickens either whole or boneless thigh.
I'd say that sous vide chicken breast can be flavorful if done right, but that's a large if.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you brine it and then get a good sear on it it's pretty good, especially with some lemon-pepper seasoning. I don't mind it in stir-fry either. It's definitely easier to make thighs and drumsticks taste good though.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I do seared chicken breast almost every day for lunch with kale and shit. It tastes great, but really it tastes like whatever you eat it with.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I love you...platonically of course, but love nonetheless.

Widow dinner tonight - grilled ham and cheese (habanero cheddar and sharp cheddar), a salad, some tortilla chips with salsa verde and a big ass Knob Creek on the rocks.

I'll have a grilled cheese with you in spirit tonight :)

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'd say that sous vide chicken breast can be flavorful if done right, but that's a large if.
How does sous-vide affect the flavor? I can see texture, but sous-vide isn't reaching temperature necessary for Maillard.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So there's basically two ways I do chicken breasts. Either seared with salt and pepper or seared with salt, pepper, paprika, chili p, and garlic. I sear each side and get a serious crust in the olive oil and then I move it to the oven, waiting until this step to put the garlic on. I did sous vide a few times and I just felt like it was extra work for not much benefit. Undeniably it is more dry when seared and finished in the oven. But I don't think the delta is worth the extra work/time spent with the sous vide.

But, take either method and chop it up and put it on a salad of kale and whatever with some parmesan garlic dressing or a red pepper vinaigrette, its an awesome easy meal. And you can usually get chicken breast in bulk for ridiculous prices at Costco or whatever. For this application, I'm sure AB would disown me, but I feel like the thigh is too fatty.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How I do chicken breasts: I don't. How about you start with a meat that has some actual flavor. Might as well just eat tofu.

Chicken thighs, even deboned, do come with more "mystery meat" than people are used to if chicken breast or pork tenderloins are your main meats. It took me a few times to realize you've got to cut them up and "unfold" them a step further than the butcher.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've done a good chicken thigh, but as a component of my daily salad it just adds too much grease. I want it to be way lighter. And if I'm going to the trouble of doing chicken thighs I like to braise them because it makes me feel fancy.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
How I do chicken breasts: I don't. How about you start with a meat that has some actual flavor. Might as well just eat tofu.

Chicken thighs, even deboned, do come with more "mystery meat" than people are used to if chicken breast or pork tenderloins are your main meats. It took me a few times to realize you've got to cut them up and "unfold" them a step further than the butcher.
Breasts are just like tofu: they take on a ton of flavor of what you cook them with. For the most part I cook with a garlic+salt paste, lemon, and *fresh* rosemary. It can get weird with a blueish-green tint from garlic spots, and if you have too much paste/salt it can be bad, but that's most things.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Spoilered for size. Tzatziki tunamelt. I had a craving for Tunamelt the other day and made this. Tunamelt with cucumber, garlic, dill, celery and yogurt (no mayo), salt and pepper, and some three cheese blend I had in the fridge on black wheat. Toasted at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Wonderful, cheap, and delicous. My favorite combo.

LFmHDN1.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Spoilered for size. Tzatziki tunamelt. I had a craving for Tunamelt the other day and made this. Tunamelt with cucumber, garlic, dill, celery and yogurt (no mayo), salt and pepper, and some three cheese blend I had in the fridge on black wheat. Toasted at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Wonderful, cheap, and delicous. My favorite combo.

LFmHDN1.jpg
I just sneaked out the house and had a gyro with extra sauce, there's such a thing as too much Chinese food.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yea, but I'm actually in bklyn now, finalizing funeral stuff for Dad, and just keeping an eye on mom.

Sorry to hear dude. While I may just be a shitlord on the internet. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sorry to hear dude. While I may just be a shitlord on the internet. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
Yea it's cool thx, forum is enough that I can read and post at weird ass hours, since I can't sleep and shit, heh.

And bklyn is crazy enough that I can walk out at 5am and get a fresh bagel.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Breasts are just like tofu

So many ways I could go with that...

Just had 75 people for lunch. Made a pasta bar, four sauces - traditional marinara, four cheese alfredo (bloody awesome), super meaty tomato based sauce, and fresh made pesto from all the remaining basil in my garden. Also served spinach salad (whole bushel of spinach, I swear) with strawberries and candied almonds, and I had baked 10 loaves of bread yesterday. Pumpkin coffee cake for dessert.

I prepared enough food for around 100, was totally cleaned out. First sauce gone was the alfredo, second was meaty. People like cream and meat.

• 1Like

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
No activity in this thread....come on guys, some of us live on website updates for our fix. Tell me you pulled dains pants down and fucked him...tell me you killed efreeti just for fun .... Tell me you trained NTOV until your guild killed the mob and saved the day....I haven't played eq all day. Let me live vicariously through your efforts. Plz?

I'll make a trade for eq updates. I present to you my new grill purchase and last night's cook for the kids, their favorite. Tonight's meal, wife's favorite will follow below(the prime rib)

Can't seem to get my smoker down to 300degrees. Trying so hard with tons of family advice w this specific smoker...will post pics of the turnout...but, only if you share some solid eq updates!!!!

I don't care if you killed targin the dildo rock,
Post it. Guarantee more people than me here want to see it

IMG_20171110_201750.jpg

IMG_20171110_204315.jpg

IMG_20171111_142941.jpg

IMG_20171111_143045.jpg

IMG_20171111_154347.jpg

Last edited:

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
Your bottom vent is far too open for 300 or under. When I do pork or brisket on my Joe at 225 the bottom vent is under 1/4” open and top vent just a sliver.

If you have already shot passed you will want to nearly close both vents until it starts to drop. Could take 30+ minutes.

No activity in this thread....come on guys, some of us live on website updates for our fix. Tell me you pulled dains pants down and fucked him...tell me you killed efreeti just for fun .... Tell me you trained NTOV until your guild killed the mob and saved the day....I haven't played eq all day. Let me live vicariously through your efforts. Plz?

I'll make a trade for eq updates. I present to you my new grill purchase and last night's cook for the kids, their favorite. Tonight's meal, wife's favorite will follow below(the prime rib)

Can't seem to get my smoker down to 300degrees. Trying so hard with tons of family advice w this specific smoker...will post pics of the turnout...but, only if you share some solid eq updates!!!!

I don't care if you killed targin the dildo rock,
Post it. Guarantee more people than me here want to see it

View attachment 156181

View attachment 156182

View attachment 156183

View attachment 156184

View attachment 156185

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users