Gravy's Cooking Thread

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Your bottom vent is far too open for 300 or under. When I do pork or brisket on my Joe at 225 the bottom vent is under 1/4” open and top vent just a sliver.

If you have already shot passed you will want to nearly close both vents until it starts to drop. Could take 30+ minutes.

Awesome thanks brother. Made your adjustments. Trust me this meal depends on my wife loving it or I will never hear the end of purchasing a $1300 smoker...

I've got the meal on now, internal thermostat in the center of the meat. This must be amazing or I am fucked regarding EQ funtime playtime bros :( my wife is a fucking angry Asian who...btw...never marry an Asian despite how hot they look.....

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
Also if you are choking out a fire to drop temp, burp the lid open a little before opening all the way don’t rock it open fast or you can get a big flare up. Same thing if cooking above 500 or so.

Awesome thanks brother. Made your adjustments. Trust me this meal depends on my wife loving it or I will never hear the end of purchasing a $1300 smoker...

I've got the meal on now, internal thermostat in the center of the meat. This must be amazing or I am fucked regarding EQ funtime playtime bros :( my wife is a fucking angry Asian who...btw...never marry an Asian despite how hot they look.....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Also if you are choking out a fire to drop temp, burp the lid open a little before opening all the way don’t rock it open fast or you can get a big flare up. Same thing if cooking above 500 or so.

I've been burping but I am a newbie here
I think this cook is almost done, hope I can reclaim manlyhood with the wife and live on to see another day on this planet we call earth. Otherwise I'm out and I don't care

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Got much love for you fellow bbq'ers in this thread. Forgive my drunken posts. We talking $92 dollars of prime rib for the wife now....

Sitting in driveway right now controlling kamado Joe Classic heat. It's gonna be a long night yall

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Best I got tonight. Can't go any longer. I've failed $100+ of meat and my wife. Fuck I am so let down y'all

IMG_20171111_195255.jpg

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
I would have seared it in a cast iron skillet, gotten kamado to 500, put the prime rib in and close the vents until the temp dropped to 250 range then peak them open until you got to temp, but thats just me

Best I got tonight. Can't go any longer. I've failed $100+ of meat and my wife. Fuck I am so let down y'all

View attachment 156193

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
That's a pretty soft fail you got there F Flaw
Edible for sure man.

I had a different problem... I got all angsty about temperature and so I let most of the smoke out of my akorn while trying to raise the temp. Fucked myself sort of hard and didn't get the smoke profile I wanted. Kept trying to raise the temp because it was so cold outside (28* F) and the wood chips I was soaking brought down the temp... pork shoulder ended up being fine, but I didn't get shit for crust on it.

• 1Like

rad

Lord of Guk
I would have seared it in a cast iron skillet, gotten kamado to 500, put the prime rib in and close the vents until the temp dropped to 250 range then peak them open until you got to temp, but thats just me

If I could upvote this 100 times I would, difference between pro and a neophyte. Depending on cook times you're going for this is not always required, but when in doubt sear that bitch out. Nothing worse than nicely smoked meat without a good bark.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
No activity in this thread....come on guys, some of us live on website updates for our fix. Tell me you pulled dains pants down and fucked him...tell me you killed efreeti just for fun .... Tell me you trained NTOV until your guild killed the mob and saved the day....I haven't played eq all day. Let me live vicariously through your efforts. Plz?

I'll make a trade for eq updates. I present to you my new grill purchase and last night's cook for the kids, their favorite. Tonight's meal, wife's favorite will follow below(the prime rib)

Can't seem to get my smoker down to 300degrees. Trying so hard with tons of family advice w this specific smoker...will post pics of the turnout...but, only if you share some solid eq updates!!!!

I don't care if you killed targin the dildo rock,
Post it. Guarantee more people than me here want to see it

View attachment 156181

View attachment 156182

View attachment 156183

View attachment 156184

View attachment 156185

What is that meatball thing, it looks amazing.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That looks awesome.

I went and bought some ceramic coated pots/pans, holy shit the QoL improvement over regular teflon is amazing.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Ok guys!

Tried the 3 inch tomahawk steak on the Kamado Joe today! This cook was a lot of fun, and the kids will sleep good tonight after playing outside all day with no electronics.

Reverse seared Tomahawk Steak
Mac and Cheese with cheddar, Gouda, Parmesan, and lightly topped with mozzarella
Jalapeno bacon poppers

Used hickory wood for smoke

Smoked the steak at 250 to an internal 120 over indirect heat, wrapped in foil, brought Joe temp up to cook Mac and cheese & jalapeno poppers. Then, seared the steak at 650 degrees for 1 minute each side over direct heat.

I'm the chef so I won't comment on taste, but I will say I didn't overcook this one!! Beginner's luck!!

IMG_20171112_163904.jpg

IMG_20171112_161728.jpg

• 2Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it just looks like a future-fied version of your normal water seal crock.

Fermentaion-Crock-resized-for-blog.jpg

Picture stolen from Fermentation Crocks: The Who, What, Where, When, Why and How

the moat acts like an airlock as the fermentation generates C02 and raises the PSI inside the crock.

Being that most fermentations suggest being put in a dark warm place, having a window may actually be a drawback over the old school version. Also who knows how the plastic bits in the new one will handle staining or odor retaining.

Depending on how far you want to go down the fermenting rabbit hole, you may enjoy the 18 ep (and counting) "It's Alive" with Brad series on Youtube.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not doing anything interesting with cooking, really. I've been teaching my daughter, she's 8 and she really wants to learn and be involved. She cooked tacos last night. Its actually pretty cool to go over the basics, and I mean super basics like "this is how you hold a knife properly and this is why", "this is how the pan should be positioned and this is why", etc. She was really proud. She wants to help with Thanksgiving but since we're frying a turkey I'm probably not going to let her, but may let her prep stuff the night before with me. I think I may let her make spaghetti tonight.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Made this last night for some lunches this week. Now by this I just mean the salad. Cold Rice Noodle Salad with fish sauce and vinegar/carrot/cilantro is just delicious and refreshing. For a meat I just used some pork chops I had around.

I do recommend.

Firecracker Beef On Rice Noodle Salad

• 1Like