Gravy's Cooking Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Use paneer instead next time

Unless you're vegan

Saag paneer is next on my Indian cooking endeavors.

Gonna make mushroom gravy poutine sometime this week. Had some at a restaurant recently it was excellent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Mrs Gravy must have one of those easy to clean stoves

Or a black stovetop
Black stove top....neurotic cleaning tendency for some things. My oven though...ick. Not self-cleaning. I hate it.
I hate my stove too...electric. BLECH.
That stove of Alex's though...I could get that mother sparkling.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I made the aforementioned mushroom gravy poutine. Turned out well but I'll use broth instead of wine to deglaze the pan of the caramelized mushrooms/onions next time. Wine flavor was a bit too strong. Also the only supplier in the area that I know of that has cheese curds is dealing with the wildfires up north so I had to substitute.

20171013_220808.jpg

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been making some Japanese style curry for lunch lately. While I love "normal" curry, Japanese version is much simpler and more flexible. If you're not really a curry type fan, I recommend trying it out as it isn't as strong as the Indian/Thai ones. I add a ton of shit to mine though. Makes sweet Bento Boxes.

6LwQ8fId7PuND6eIgLjDL9g8pegnUar2xYjwZl2SgofDt8n6x1Y5DJUI_7c2IK79DmFdwc3OIHEI2jMqVs9lraq1BQcbAubTXrwLycKrQLjJD2sNbZiYPFzTkoya9uDRT7hEMtWcdwUBuLmiWuoxIsKGKXfXMmJvdXxyAgH_EWERUnGq24PEZiJeRFm0CHdLSzqxBN_62OdMfM_t6-JFcQrvh-1GTW1OdU-3Uzm71dI-ZayD_X2iRqERdCA9_Hnv7OPyiZzrQf1v_ZAVo4QBuY_BQlbtB1PuaXrBUzF_2fd6kfyD6_3DunXmy-uGHeiLf4FjmIDMNzpR7iimElfwEv6-JtzJ2Gg4-kRfDspHk-RqtyGwx0U6ssutI0G6JfB_fZODE8k3eF8W-S3F6tfXgjZHG_wwHZE3jcH4caBwiw5jnOcsjvUFRemoyeNXOWjx_kKPkKXkH3scuiQd_Ll0gIuCJYCek2E9qnqrpfPoIGqlD8waS-ZmZfpVY5ENc27BRVx2qyvfaWIMH0E3eU-8f5MhTIzvZxfV_z4zphS0dT9ZiiH8sTL_0VTIba36YjQzhSq2YazBByKybf_phnCCQXg2SZ-YuN5zi__OHZh6iQ=w675-h901-no

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Like most, I cheat and use golden curry (Japanese) in a Crock-Pot for hours.

Packet curry, I've only found Korean ottogi to be not only good but superior
31qsq9xwtiL.jpg

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have recently made two things which were magnificent.

1. Butter chicken: it was great. Easy, good heat, delicious. Sauteed the chopped chicken in butter and put it aside. Then I sauteed some onion and garlic in a bit more butter, added garam masala, fresh grated ginger, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper and let it get really fragrant before adding fresh tomato sauce and cream. Let it reduce for about 10 minutes, put the chicken back in, and let it cook/reduce an additional 10 minutes. Served over rice, cilantro as topping. Served with Indian spiced cauliflower. It made me moist.

2. Sous vide whole roasting chicken with 3 cups stock, carrots, celery, garlic, and thyme for a day and a half. Strained the stock, stripped and shredded the chicken, added it back to the stock, add carrots and garlic, cumin and chili powder and a little more fresh thyme, add some water, and add the noodles of your choice. Thickens up to a nice stew kind of consistency, and is dynamite with some bleu cheese if you like that sort of thing.

Both were hits with adults and kids alike. The cauliflower was even a hit with the kids because of the spices on it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That first one sound almost exactly like chicken tikka masala with maybe a couple differences in spices.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Maybe it's the same thing. My Indian isn't so good. This is a recipe I learned from the mother of a childhood friend. They were from India.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Like most, I cheat and use golden curry (Japanese) in a Crock-Pot for hours.

Packet curry, I've only found Korean ottogi to be not only good but superior
31qsq9xwtiL.jpg

Yeah I don't crockpot it. Takes like 45 minutes to cook up in a large wok or pan and about 20 minutes of chopping stuff up. Makes quite a lot too with this:

• Half Golden Curry Box (they come in separate containers inside)
  • 1 onion minced
  • 3 carrots
  • 3 small potato
  • 1-1.5lb chicken
  • 6 cup water
  • Vegetables - I use Red Peppers and Broccoli a lot. Can use whatever but need to stick to the heartier ones for it to be good.

From there you can really do whatever. I add a ton of dried chilis, Korean chili paste(sometimes), tomato paste( sometimes when I want more tomato flavor), red chili flakes or powder. Whatever. Because its Jap shit, their, "extra hot" might considered a mild or medium by any other measure of spiciness.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone having issues with chicken breast with Woody breast?

I guess it has to do with chickens being bred with much larger (and fattier) breasts. The result is very tough meat. Tough to describe but biting into it, it has sort of a crunch to it. Its what I'd imagine biting into a raw breast feels like. I thought I was insane for a long time, but I just read an article that says it's on the rise.

Unfortunately, I won't buy skinless breast anymore because it's very disturbing to eat. Telltale signs are white fibers in the breast running with the grain.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Chicken thighs > Breast

It's like the juicy pulled pork of chicken

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't like chicken thighs. Too fatty which results in too much chewiness. That's fine with steak, but not with chicken.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You must be doing it wrong

Cooked properly the fat will be gone, and juicy goodness is all that remains

I pan fry em in ghee on medium heat in my cast iron pan.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Thigh is the best part of the chicken. G made the best flipping smoked/sauced thighs. His own sauce recipe...fucking mahogany magic.
Gone forever.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I love you...platonically of course, but love nonetheless.

Widow dinner tonight - grilled ham and cheese (habanero cheddar and sharp cheddar), a salad, some tortilla chips with salsa verde and a big ass Knob Creek on the rocks.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I love you...platonically of course, but love nonetheless.

Widow dinner tonight - grilled ham and cheese (habanero cheddar and sharp cheddar), a salad, some tortilla chips with salsa verde and a big ass Knob Creek on the rocks.

One of the best meals my mom used to make when I was growing up was potatoes au gratin with ham. Great any time of the year. Fresh from the skillet or as leftovers.