Gravy's Cooking Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't think you'd want to leave them in that long, but you can try. Here's a good egg write-up.

The Food Lab's Guide to Slow-Cooked, Sous Vide-Style Eggs

The egg temps and consistencies he recommends I find... viscous and gross. Same thing with his chicken breast write up. His 145 degree recommendation makes the chicken spongy and off putting. It definitely keeps its moisture but it makes me gag.

I stopped trying to sous vide the eggs because they were taking too long and 13 minutes in a pot (put the eggs in the tap temp water when you turn the stove on) works well for me. As for chicken I just sous vide it at 155 for two hours and I find that to be a nice marriage of keeping the traditional chicken texture while retaining most of the moisture.

I like some of the stuff Kenji does, and especially like his Asian themed recipes but some of his sous vide experiment "findings" leave me scratching my head.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I do my chicken breast at 147 and love it. I never sous vide eggs, other than a couple times to just see how it was.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I did 2 last night at 165. They were great....just like hard boiled eggs with better texture.

I'm going to try cracking a few into a shot glass, cover it with plastic wrap and a rubber band, and then soft "boil" then for eggs Benedict. I think ~140 was the recommendation I saw for soft boiled, but not positive.
Is there a reason why you can't soft boil them in the shell?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is there a reason why you can't soft boil them in the shell?

He has a new sous vide machine, he has to use it. Sous vide is a pretty good way to cook a steak perfectly without any skill if you don't mind it taking 10 times as long, but people get totally wacky with them. You can make a poached egg for eggs benedict in a pan in 5 minutes and it's basically foolproof.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Jesus why did I have to click into here. Now I want a sous vide.

• 1Like

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I'd rather use the resealable bags instead of my foodsaver to keep waste down, I find the resealable easier to reuse. I like to sous vide stuff but it takes forever and I feel bad wasting all that water and plastic.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Jesus why did I have to click into here. Now I want a sous vide.
If it were up to me, you wouldn't be allowed to click into here without one!

#sousvidecult

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm going all out. Everything so far has been great. Haven't tried chicken yet though.

I got a vacusealer and a couple pounds of tri tip last week. 4 new York strips going right now.

How long do I have to keep this up before I turn into a T-rex?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ok, verdict on the instapot ribs is good, right? Thinking I'm gonna try that next. Any specific rub or do them plain?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
For the rub I did

1 tbsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsn onion powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt

For the liquid in the pot I did

4 cups apple juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp liquid smoke

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't bother with a rub on instant pot ribs. You're not going to get a crust because it's wet in there and the spices are just going to wind up in the bottom of the pot. Seasoning and marinade do not penetrate into meat so if you wash them all off in the cooking process, you're mostly wasting them. Just put salt (which does penetrate into meat) on them, preferably 24 hours in advance and if you have to have some herb or spice in there, put them in your BBQ sauce.