Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I had pulled pork sliders with coleslaw that I did in my new pellet smoker, Alton Brown method buffalo wings, pepper jack and cheddar queso made with sodium citrate in the style of modernist mac and cheese, and spinach dip in a bread bowl with lots of chunks of homemade NY Times recipe No-Knead bread to dip in the spinach dip and queso. Had pickles/chips and salsa/charcuterie on the side, my brother made onion rings and fried biscuit dough with nutella in it, and there were Lofthouse cookies, oreos, and my Mom's lemon poppy seed cake for dessert. It was a pretty good spread if I do say so myself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Those are jalapenos.
You mean spicy green bell peppers. Jalapenos bring nice heat, but if there is too much, you still get those raw grassy flavors like a green bell pepper. It's unfortunate that it's hard to find ripe jalapenos that aren't also turned into chipotles.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I do agree about the earthy flavor of jalapenos. However, I think this worked out with the onion/cilantro/lime juice mix.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Been growing my own jalapenos the last couple years and while I do like them, the raw taste is definitely a bit too close to green bell peppers for me. I do love to pickle them, though.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Pickled jalapenos are great straight out of the jar. I'd buy them more often except it seems hit or miss whether you get a jar of crispy jalapenos or something that's basically baby food.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I haven't met a pickled veggie I didn't like. I especially like pickled beets.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I really need to get into that. I like really vinegary stuff, Im sure I would like pickled veggies, but I had literally never knowingly had anything other than jarred pickles from the store or whatever.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I eat pepperoncinis straight out of the jar. And pickled jalapenos are much better on pizza than fresh ones.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Pickling is awesome. I need to do more of it, too. I do a lot of quick-pickle things for dinner, but actual pickling for the long-haul is awesome.

I pickle beets every year. They are awesome, and make your poo nice colours.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I've been known to eat a jar of this stuff at a sitting. The cauliflower is outstanding.

California-Hot-Mix-Vegetables_lg_2.png

• 1Solidarity

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Pickling is awesome. I need to do more of it, too. I do a lot of quick-pickle things for dinner, but actual pickling for the long-haul is awesome.

I pickle beets every year. They are awesome, and make your poo nice colours.
...giggling like a 12 year-old boy because I just realized that I liked this post because I love pickled beets, but then also because: poop talk.

When I run out of home canned beets, I get the Aunt Nellie's brand.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Adam Carolla said once that when someone serves you beets they should give you a bracelet that says "Don't panic, you had beets" to wear until the next time you poop so you don't think you are dying.

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Adam Carolla said once that when someone serves you beets they should give you a bracelet that says "Don't panic, you had beets" to wear until the next time you poop so you don't think you are dying.

Dye-ing?

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Took the Lanx Lanx challenge and bought Lee Kum Kee soy sauce instead of Kikoman. The difference in quality is actually quite noticeable.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Took the Lanx Lanx challenge and bought Lee Kum Kee soy sauce instead of Kikoman. The difference in quality is actually quite noticeable.
lee kum kee oyster sauce is also great, has the little panda on it, the walmarts i've been too carry lee kum kee too, if thats any easier.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
lee kum kee oyster sauce is also great, has the little panda on it, the walmarts i've been too carry lee kum kee too, if thats any easier.

I have a korean store right next to my house.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
there a decent/quick how-to for pickling? i'd love to do more of that, especially with non-cucumber veggies. I had heard you could actually do it with an annova...