Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have been working with him in restaurants since I was 6, so I did pick up a few things and I'm not quite that bad with a knife. I'm just lazy as shit and have no creativity. I have been doing more cooking as I have gotten older so he's quite pleased whenever I ask him for recipes or how to do certain things properly.
I'm jealous. I wish my dad was a chef. My dad doesn't really help me with shit. He's dead.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The problem most have with alcohol and any kind of diet is their inhibitions are lowered and some people pig out while drunk.

This is definitely true for me. I can't tell you how many times I've watched a movie in the evenings while sipping on bourbon and gotten a little carried away and then when the movie is over it's time to drunkenly cook whatever is in my refrigerator or even bake cookies and eat the whole batch at 1 in the morning. This is how I can tell that it's food and not booze that I'm addicted to.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ah nice, thanks for the info. Yeah I was confusing yeast consuming sugar to create CO2+alcohol and the fact that it's stripped afterwards (or completely consumed).

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I can't ignore the effects it's had on other people I personally know anymore. Think I'm gonna go in on this keto thing - which is going to be a big adjustment after being primarily veggie for over a year now. I haven't even cooked meat at home since early 2017. No rice, fruit, or beans will be the biggest adjustment. The rest should be pretty easy. Time to look up a bunch of recipes. But damn, no more burritos or tacos. Shit's gonna be rough.

What about beer? Y'all know I'm very, very into craft beer and that seems like a no-go with this diet. I can't be a gin & soda guy the rest of my life!

You can still have burritos or tacos, you can have up to 40g of carbs a day. Just have to cut out the rice and beans. Low carb tortillas are the only way I can make it through the day, two for dinner really helps cravings.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Coffee rubbed Cowboy Ribeye with Grilled Peaches and a honey drizzle. I love summer. Also served with Melted Potatoes. (I Just Discovered Melting Potatoes and I’m Officially Serving Them With Everything)

55407623809__DC829B16-B517-4AA0-AB62-1E3CF6314B29.JPG

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The steak looks good, but I've never understood the desire to dump a bunch of sugar on a good steak, or coffee or anything else for that matter.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The steak looks good, but I've never understood the desire to dump a bunch of sugar on a good steak, or coffee or anything else for that matter.

In my younger days I liked sweet sauces, but once I learned the skill of basting in Kerrygold salted butter and pouring it over the steak as a sauce I've never looked back. Salt for life.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If youre going low carb, beer and wine are going to break your daily carb limit unless you drink shit beer.

Just switch to whiskey for a while. Whiskey is one of lifes greatest pleasures anyway. Never hurts to have some added motivation to drink whiskey.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Wasn't sure if this should go in hunting, cooking, gardening, here, etc...

Edit: buying a dehydrator

Have a kinda crappy one. Want a nice one. Anyone have experience? The Excalibur brand gets good reviews, but the plastic makes me shy away from it.

Anyway, instead of creating a thread, cross posting it.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Have a kinda crappy one. Want a nice one. Anyone have experience? The Excalibur brand gets good reviews, but the plastic makes me shy away from it.

A kind of crappy what?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Edit: buying a dehydrator

Nesco FD-60 Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator, 4-Trays - MADE IN USA
41wq1%2Be2WlL.jpg

The basic excalibur is like 5trays at triple the price and none expandable, also it's a bitch to clean. The nesco has the fan on top, that means all the mess drips down to the bottom tray, the fan/heat element (the most important part), never touches juice.

whereas the excalibur is a frigging box and you gotta empty all the trays and try to clean it like a fucking oven. do you like cleaning your boxy ass oven? well have fun again.

Sure i'll admit the top tray gets dry WAY quicker than the bottom tray for obvious reasons and the excalibur promotes even drying on all trays.
I've had mine for years, hums along. Sure, it's ugly, and by nice it's kinda brown/yellow (cuz i make beef jerky).

however, the trays are expandable, you can keep on stacking more and more trays on it.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm no sous vide snob, but this might just force my hand

Beef on Weck Sous Vide

EDIT: though I have no idea what to do about finding Weck. AFAIK that is absolutely not a thing in the midwest.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I just got an Anova Sous Vide wand this week and love it. So far have made a ribeye, salmon, burgers, lamb and all have been absolutely phenomenal and possibly the best I've ever had. Hoping to integrate it, bulk shopping from the butcher and a vacuum sealer into my meal prep plans. Anyone have any must try recipes or meats/veggies/etc to try in the thing? Contemplating getting a mini fridge to dry age a super fatty prime rib roast for thanksgiving, cut the aged meat into individual rib eye servings and use the sous vide plus cast iron for the main course but may just get it from the butcher in town; on the fence if I want to devote the space and the guest closet for the fridge and smell.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Never dehydrated myself. Have you tried AB's box fan and furnace filters setup?

^
This.

Do the things you do want just airflow and time, or can they stand heat? There is a massive difference between "sun dried" tomatoes done in an Alton Brown Special with airflow and salt only, vs under heat. For this one application, I like the heated option (caramelization makes them damn near candy.); but the color, taste, and texture difference can make or break some things.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
^
This.

Do the things you do want just airflow and time, or can they stand heat? There is a massive difference between "sun dried" tomatoes done in an Alton Brown Special with airflow and salt only, vs under heat. For this one application, I like the heated option (caramelization makes them damn near candy.); but the color, taste, and texture difference can make or break some things.

Only problem with this way is that non-fiberglaes filters are expensive as fuck for a single use. It is a fantastic way to make beef jerky though. I bought some food grade mesh for drying that I hope to build into reusable filters for fan jerky, but the effort seems to outweigh the benefit.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, that's what kept me from doing it. I think the benefit is the stronger fan and lack of a heating element. I imagine though, if you did have a conventional dehydrator, you could just take the trays out of that and strap them to a $10 box fan for making jerky and use the dehydrator the normal way for making other things.

Also, I found that video nearly unwatchable between that mush mouthed dude and the country music playing over him.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user