Gravy's Cooking Thread

khorum

Murder Apologist
My new thing is a Pho place I found that makes an insanely spicey soup base, very unusual since most Pho is super delicate, cinnamon, basil and mint and other faggot flavors. Hard to find Viet restaurants that bring the heat, but ones who do, damn they layer so much flavor. HnnnnnnGGGgghhh

There's a lot of these hipster pho places that do that shit. Oddly enough the best kimchi in a soup that I've had was in another one of those fucking hipster places in Chicago. The whole scene was annoying and the "hip-hop" gimmick was obnoxious but the spicy ramen at Furious Spoon is phenomenal. The broth is a little thicker than tokyo ramen, but their special sauce and soba noodles are phenomenal. The chef/owner won a michelin star a few years ago:

Now I kinda want more of that ramen. Haven't been there since last year.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
There's a lot of these hipster pho places that do that shit. Oddly enough the best kimchi in a soup that I've had was in another one of those fucking hipster places in Chicago. The whole scene was annoying and the "hip-hop" gimmick was obnoxious but the spicy ramen at Furious Spoon is phenomenal. The broth is a little thicker than tokyo ramen, but their special sauce and soba noodles are phenomenal. The chef/owner won a michelin star a few years ago:

Now I kinda want more of that ramen. Haven't been there since last year.

There is a hole in the wall I used to go to that only made one thing. Cold Soba noodles with Cold Ginger Chicken. An insanely refreshing dinner on hot summer nights. No one did Ginger Chicken as well as they did, it's super labor intensive to do it for real. Sucks when it has chicken fat jello and no flavor.

Cold-Ginger-Chicken.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I look for dirty shitholes with no white people for soups, they are usually making something very specific to their home village. I went to some chinese dump a couple days ago and ordered 'chicken noodle soup' it was rich, salty, fatty oil slick broth with half a fried chicken and unstuffed won ton floating in it. it was so good and I was farting chicken fat bubbles for hours.

Any place I can read the sign usually means its gonna be tame and suck.
well it doesn't have to be dirty, but in coastal states i'd peace out when i see white ppl in an asian restaurant. But here in ks, pretty much a begger can't be no chooser.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
well it doesn't have to be dirty, but in coastal states i'd peace out when i see white ppl in an asian restaurant. But here in ks, pretty much a begger can't be no chooser.

the truest umami comes from the earthy flavors of dirty grease falling off of filthy ceiling tiles.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
dude a pound of msg is like 5bucks, you can have umami for days, sprinkle that on some mac n cheese.

dude how do you think they make that pound of msg? its scraped from the dirty ceilings of Chinese restaurants.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah to tell you the truth, I would rather have a nice thick steak than a philly any day. I agree, waste of a good steak.

There used to be a sub place by my work in another city that used to have great steak subs. ( I dont live in Philly) They did all kinds of subs, but they were known for their steak subs. They would get boxes of these thin sliced frozen steak that were pressed into a 8x4 rectangle, about a 1/8 in thick. But I could never find the stuff in retail. It looked exactly like below but in a plain brown box.

Original Philly Products

"Steak-umm" is a retail version of frozen steak sheets. I haven't had these since the 80's, but they were pretty good back then and they are still around.

Website has a store locator on it: https://steakumm.com

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm not a big pho fan (much prefer ramen) but there is this one spot in the Tenderloin that is fucking money. Nice and spicy.

Also, I used to think I knew good dim sum but then my Chinese-born friend told me all the places I liked were white people places. We went to her favorite spot and she rattled off the whole order in Cantonese. Fucking unreal. One of my favorite restaurants in SF now. But I'm intimidated to go by myself because I can't read the menu very well since the English menu is translated pretty poorly . I've only ever gone with her.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not a big pho fan (much prefer ramen) but there is this one spot in the Tenderloin that is fucking money. Nice and spicy.

Also, I used to think I knew good dim sum but then my Chinese-born friend told me all the places I liked were white people places. We went to her favorite spot and she rattled off the whole order in Cantonese. Fucking unreal. One of my favorite restaurants in SF now. But I'm intimidated to go by myself because I can't read the menu very well since the English menu is translated pretty poorly . I've only ever gone with her.
Dude, when i went to sanfran the best food i had was in this crummy hole in the wall dim sum place
Dol Ho - Chinatown - San Francisco, CA

this place is for old ppl so it's cheap as fuck, fucking 1980's prices, but the dim sum is on point!

obviously with SO MANY dim sum places in san fran, you're gonna get wow'd by the prettier places or the more "touristy" places w/ all the annoying white ppl. This place ONLY HAS ASIAN GRANDPA AND ASIAN GRANDMA's

if you go here wait for the pork on rice
9036774f354424f8bc5f39c5c7e58336.jpg

and just point n shit, they know what to do, just don't ask stupid white ppl questions like "what is that"???

Also today, i'm trying to broth up some pho! gonna do a 12hour broth (now, in time for lunch tomorrow)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you can read the menu or talk to anyone you aren't getting the real dim sum experience. You just go in there, point at things that look like they aren't innards, and hope they aren't ripping you off too much when the check comes.

The worst thing I ever did in SF Chinatown was go into a place because someone on the street gave me a coupon for free egg rolls. Shit food, worse service, and outrageous prices. Complete tourist trap and I fell for it.

Last edited:

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
That's what's really amazing, is how much you yellow bastards can do with the garbage parts of the food.

Given that's usually all they have had for the past 2000 years it'd be more surprising if they didn't find ways to make it edible.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Like if there were any white people or were just a few token white people who got drug there with their asian friends?

Hunan Bistro in Austin is my favorite actual Chinese place around. It is impossible to go to without a Chinese with you though. Menu isn't even in English and not a soul in there other than the 16 year old daughter cash register girl speaks English. Obviously they exclusively make a variety of very spicy Hunan dishes. I want to get a line on their roasted chili mix. But I think they make it themselves. I've since learned that the various roasted chili mixes are kept pretty close to the chest and the right chilis you can't buy in the USA easily a lot. Which is a bummer.

But that place is fucking delicious. Small location and always packed to the gills. Pretty much the best operation for an immigrant family to run.

I went to the American Chinese/Actual Chinese restaurant and tried the Cantonese Duck and Char Siu pork belly the other day btw. Good shit. Just have to get there at the right time. I think it had been sitting out for a number of hours when I got there.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Given that's usually all they have had for the past 2000 years it'd be more surprising if they didn't find ways to make it edible.

See someone quoted me. Wonder how many months/years its been since i posted in the cooking thread. See some faggot mod was moving posts for no reason.

#justfohthings

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Like if there were any white people or were just a few token white people who got drug there with their asian friends?

Hunan Bistro in Austin is my favorite actual Chinese place around. It is impossible to go to without a Chinese with you though. Menu isn't even in English and not a soul in there other than the 16 year old daughter cash register girl speaks English. Obviously they exclusively make a variety of very spicy Hunan dishes. I want to get a line on their roasted chili mix. But I think they make it themselves. I've since learned that the various roasted chili mixes are kept pretty close to the chest and the right chilis you can't buy in the USA easily a lot. Which is a bummer.

But that place is fucking delicious. Small location and always packed to the gills. Pretty much the best operation for an immigrant family to run.

I went to the American Chinese/Actual Chinese restaurant and tried the Cantonese Duck and Char Siu pork belly the other day btw. Good shit. Just have to get there at the right time. I think it had been sitting out for a number of hours when I got there.
if white ppl are sitting and eating w/o chinese chaperones then it's shit. Of course this is a sliding scale, that would only be a good measure if it was a chinatown or hell a block w/ two asian stores. But as you move more "inland", as long as there is ONE asian eating at a table, it's gotta be ok.

Did you know, when my wife and i go to eat at an asian place, they ALWAYS try to seat us at the window. (they want white ppl walking and seeing real asians eating at the window)

I ain't your sideshow bitch!!!

Also its the internet age, when i yelp for asian restaurants (only use yelp, here's why). I only take into account the reviews that have a ching chong name w/ a squity eye'd selfie.

susan b. whitebread can go fuck herself giving me an asian restaurant review.

Yea, did you have lots of asians in line getting lunch? or was it dead? was the duck/char siu cut to order (as in still hanging on a hook) or was it just laid out, buffet style?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
if white ppl are sitting and eating w/o chinese chaperones then it's shit. Of course this is a sliding scale, that would only be a good measure if it was a chinatown or hell a block w/ two asian stores. But as you move more "inland", as long as there is ONE asian eating at a table, it's gotta be ok.

Did you know, when my wife and i go to eat at an asian place, they ALWAYS try to seat us at the window. (they want white ppl walking and seeing real asians eating at the window)

I ain't your sideshow bitch!!!

Also its the internet age, when i yelp for asian restaurants (only use yelp, here's why). I only take into account the reviews that have a ching chong name w/ a squity eye'd selfie.

susan b. whitebread can go fuck herself giving me an asian restaurant review.

Yea, did you have lots of asians in line getting lunch? or was it dead? was the duck/char siu cut to order (as in still hanging on a hook) or was it just laid out, buffet style?

It was on the hook not buffet. This place is near my office. If interested: Ho Ho Chinese BBQ - Austin, TX

Staff is almost entirely FOB Chinese but the owners, whoever they are, know the score. You want the big bucks you gotta have a sweet office friendly American Chinese shit food menu. Which I do enjoy a lot!

If you ask for the actual Chinese menu they'll give it to you. But that requires the chaperone because it's not in English.

This is the Hunan Bistro: Hunan Bistro - Austin, TX. Note the white people reviews as the Chinese rate that place on Weibo or whatever the fuck bullshit they use.

Do you read Chinese btw? Or as a product of your first generation upbringing just understand Cantonese or whatever? Out of all my Chinese coworkers only half of them or so took the time and effort to force their kids to learn to read Chinese via tutors and private schools.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
o.jpg

yea that's pretty legit, and clean as fuck for the white folk to view too, holy shit.

if you're into seafood, looks like they serve authentic walnut shrimp, their salt n pepper squid looks good too(if you order that eat it fresh, it's basically better asian calamari, yea i know coming from ny, it's sacrilege to say asian calimari is better, but in order to get banging goodfellas level calimari, you have to be awesome at frying, the reason why asian calamari will always be better is cuz it's fried super fast and hot in a wok).

It sounds like they make their own wontons, ppl said the dough is nice and thin, this is how you know it's pretty fresh. If you have doughy wontons (what you get in chinese takeout) that's frozen.

i know you have a ramen kick, you ever try shandon noodle soup? it's basically the sichan pho

if you wanna go w/ some good greens, Stir Fried Water Spinach with Fermented Tofu, looks good

that should be a good spattering of food to try out, i caution the walnut shrimp, it shouldn't be a main dish cuz it can be really creamy and really sweet.

I love these yelp reviews, if you read em, take my advice, the 4/5 stars are from ching chong names w/ slanty eyes. and the 1stars are from white ppl who complain about the poor service.

I'm basically illiterate, it was tough trying to goto chinese school from brooklyn to manhattan, and it was at night, so we just dropped it. Would i bother w/ reading and writing in chinese? naw you can get by asian american life without.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Fuck yeah walnut shrimp. That's one of the best things at the spot I was talking about. And this fish glass noodle soup. Goddamn it's so good.

I love these yelp reviews, if you read em, take my advice, the 4/5 stars are from ching chong names w/ slanty eyes. and the 1stars are from white ppl who complain about the poor service.

And yes this is so true. The place I'm talking about has terrible reviews on Yelp for the service. It would never even be on my radar if it wasn't for my friend.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
pho was a success using oxtail, i don't know if this is also cuz i started using the dutch oven to make my bone broths/chicken stock (i have notice the bone broths have tasted meatier). A lot of different ways to go about it, i went the easiest route. In the one dutch oven, I almost carmelized 1 onion, ginger root, then dumped in my seeds aromaticss(cinnamon stick/star anise/ fennel seeds) to activate the flavor, then dumped all the oxtails and started browning the meat(along w/ whatever "bone-in" chuck/steak bones i had raw i just froze). then 4 quarts of water 1/2 fish sauce to boil then simmer for 14+ hours.

i did not bother with any scum surfing or put the aromatics in a cloth bag, that was too much work and i wanted to make it almost set and forget after putting on low for 14hours.

after the 14hours i strained everything out w/ a metal colander, separated the broth into quart containers cooled off, then froze till "slushy" consistency, skimmed off all the fat that rose to the top (now that its solid) and done.

i had dried pho noodles, sliced up some ribeye etc and tested this bowl vs NongShim Pho Vietnamese Rice Noodle Soup(the pho place by me is on vacation till aug, and it's not even as good as this packaged bowl, which isn't bad)

Homemade pho handily won.

My takeaway so far doing more of these asian "stock" soups (viet tum yum/korean jap daishi stock) is that i've been doing everything in that lodge dutch oven, maybe it does retain a lot of heat and just helps w/ the "simmer" process idk, but i'm not gonna go back to my huge stainless steel stockpot now tho.