Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I use stainless pots and saucepans. I just don't like the frying pans. I also have a teflon frying pan that I use for eggs and pretty much nothing else.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I almost always use stainless steel in a dish that requires deglazing to make a sauce or soup base. It's almost criminal to waste good pan fond.
I can understand that and so it makes sense to have a few stainless pots around that would work for that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You guys have me scared of my stainless steel that's coming in. :(

Wife and I had a discussion and we are pretty sure we want to return them and go cast iron. We already have some cast iron, but a few pieces off Amazon like Dutch Oven and the big round pancake/quasadilla griddle.

Or do I man up, and suffer with stainless steel?
man up, i mean wtf do you grill on in the summer? a stainless steel grate.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Stainless steel and cast iron are just different tools.

Honestly buy a single cast iron pan and you're good

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Agree with the Noodle comment above. Also, you can get a perfectly acceptable sear on teflon, you just have to know what you're doing. These pictures are from teflon less then 10 minutes ago.

IMG_20181128_184818.jpg
IMG_20181128_185847.jpg

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Stainless steel and cast iron are just different tools.

Honestly buy a single cast iron pan and you're good

the best cleaning i ever did was when i worked in a chinese restaurant and i got a few hours at the wok, just a minor scour (like 4seconds) and water (which was insta steam) and bamm clean.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I'm too busy trying to figure out the tiny red spoon in the picture above from LiquidDeath LiquidDeath to pay good attenrion to the sear on the meat.
*as an aside, I cook in stainless steel, my favorite cast iron and teflon coated pans. I'm material-fluid.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I do most of my cooking in stainless, with my cast iron second. Teflon only for eggs. My wife basically only uses teflon and the worst knife we have. She's terrible in the kitchen and it takes every ounce of self-restraint to not constantly give her advice when she's cooking.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I don't even bother to put away my cast iron any longer. I just keep it on the stove.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm too busy trying to figure out the tiny red spoon in the picture above from LiquidDeath LiquidDeath to pay good attenrion to the sear on the meat.
*as an aside, I cook in stainless steel, my favorite cast iron and teflon coated pans. I'm material-fluid.

It is definitely part of my amazing culinary technique and not because my children leave their toys in the silliest places.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Made and tried Hollandaise sauce for the first time in the past couple of weeks. Stuff is as rich as it makes you feel when eating it. Great for dipping vegetables in though.

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Made a huge amount of turkey stock in the pressure cooker this weekend from the leftover turkey carcass from the one I smoked on thanksgiving. Used a pint of the stock and the meat from a leftover leg/thigh to make some turkey chili and it came out pretty damn good. It was just peppers, tomatoes, onion, red beans, chili powder and cumin. Was able to use almost all ingredients I had canned from my garden over the summer which was nice plus got to top it with a giant block of sharp cheddar I had smoked a couple weeks back. Put the stock into mason jars to freeze and vacuum sealed/froze the last of the turkey for future weekend meal preps. Plan to use a quart of the stock next weekend to make some turkey noodle soup and put the kids to work making the noodles with the hand crank pasta roller we have.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been cooking a lot more with my cast iron. Really got a nice seasoning to it. I used to use my stainless steel 100% of the time, and I've had the same pan for like 10 years. Don't even remember the brand but it's very nice.

I just find I need to work way harder to get good results on a nonstick pan. It can be done for sure.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So...using a ceramic plate in an oven to cook frozen pizza. I've let the pizza defrost in the fridge the last couple days, going to heat up the oven and the plate for 30 minutes. Also pulling the pizza out of the fridge so it hits ambient temperature before I toss it into the oven. First time doing this apparently as intended, every other time the crust has been soggy (really just "soft"), and risked a cracked plate dropping a froze pizza on a heated ceramic plate.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So...using a ceramic plate in an oven to cook frozen pizza. I've let the pizza defrost in the fridge the last couple days, going to heat up the oven and the plate for 30 minutes. Also pulling the pizza out of the fridge so it hits ambient temperature before I toss it into the oven. First time doing this apparently as intended, every other time the crust has been soggy (really just "soft"), and risked a cracked plate dropping a froze pizza on a heated ceramic plate.
just get unglazed tile, i posted b4, costs like 3bucks to line an entire rack and is actually porous where ceramic will just fucking crack.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I never had luck with pizza stones or whatever. They always cracked for me along the way. I second that steel idea. and even though I never got around to getting one, I read its the way to go for pizza or bread. You can even make your own if you have some sort of steel supply place. Just have them cut you a piece of 1/4 " in your dimensions that fits your oven. Forget the steel they recommended but they have instructions on how to prepare the steel beforehand to remove scale then of course you have to season it like a good cast iron.