Gravy's Cooking Thread

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
When I first moved to Colorado I grabbed the Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 13 piece, would buy again. Feel a lot like the All Clad but price is about half.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We spatchcocked our turkey this year as well. Came out perfect. This was a small'ish bird, though. 15 lbs.

riwj-FjiwgWqUB6oJvhrfx41jnWi9wrtIdgLWrlctbtlucOM4nHG0mvI-D_cedaNTR2G7LUU8wS11-mDJK4Ao3bpSwGSstyeXpxpOp-UV1ffL_OgpZ2UTt_YZiHHPsUxAPx6g0Ul8OXYG5jBCYerIZBkHPtNd046nf8c10xcyIZ7c8W5AJYrDQTLkqyjHIK2whvLQlZUfFzea7kvM14-YlhM1sKXk55oPoMedOqLzpO8zrACWJhkRYcINucqESotJ4ASaRMNRFNNXwi4FpEPpOv0cR1fAwNsQTYMa5HE0wXhXSZD0BhfbjQ_I3wx9nEdLn-hkOty03HnlKAjQ9eZmvDKmU9ZTZYHDHoFuMJhn1qtkEmTclC6osfBmgajuxX4focCeDcp7gFVnwKlc8NDWpfqT6krxCx6qa1ugCC8xVvzVNdWGIDHhV238830PSMz-6gxtrx03YBNzegw0NLjI3VhijmWR7kQIbJBqlFo2D9_uWSTBtKEdVs6ZrJCfrZAKRSZOGWBcctLfhU2H-9FSjjy8Xoc5G_3-G5XOJ5s_FyepT23KceVNn0tDgjrbJw2ctaZ6Y2wMVN1VF7wfvRbLxxYYrxRQ7xRQKG7SJgRzUrdTOwDsLu0gRoVPam_E4rAwASbrddnWWvotBE5FhAvEIwACA=w987-h740-no

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's too bad that Turkey is such an inferior bird. The one of those I'd look forward to eating is Brutul's smoked turkey, because that's the only way turkey tastes good. I'd even pass on deep/flash fried turkey. Not that you guys look like you did a bad job or anything. Turkey is just kinda meh.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It's too bad that Turkey is such an inferior bird. The one of those I'd look forward to eating is Brutul's smoked turkey, because that's the only way turkey tastes good. I'd even pass on deep/flash fried turkey. Not that you guys look like you did a bad job or anything. Turkey is just kinda meh.
I've never liked turkey either. Turkeys can also be gargantuan assholes, too, so even if I were to move back out into the country again, I'm not sure I'd raise any.

If you gave me the choice between turkey and ham for the holidays, I'd pick ham every time. Just make some dressing on the side.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I wouldn't invite you over anyway!

Seriously, though, I agree. Turkey is meh. My wife's mom gets one for free from her work ever year, so we make it. We also had a honey baked ham and ton of awesome sides!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We had turkey at a friends who cooked it in his green egg. It was the juiciest turkey I've ever had, and it was smoked well, but it was still jut okay. I also made a London Broil roast in the sous vide, and I preferred that by a mile.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Turkey sucks.

Gordon Ramsay style wellington just went into the fridge to sit before baking tonight. Best holiday recipe on the planet.

IMG_20181123_150813.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Little late here but here's my tried and true turkey recipe. My wife is not around at present so I'm making her turkey when she returns in two weeks. That being said, she grew up in Europe where holiday meat is goose. Which is absurdly expensive here and isn't too fond of turkey. But she loves this recipe.

HOLIDAY TURKEY

I would never make a turkey any other way.

Small caveat, I do wing it on the brine. I don't think you need to follow it that hard. But the recipe brine is solid. Commercial turkey brine kits are fine and less expensive if you don't have those ingredients on hand.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My ex girlfriends mom had a turkey that fucking hated everyone but her mom. Didn't get to eat it but the coyotes had a good meal.

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've never had goose but I hear it's tasty. I should try to find a goose.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Turkey is the worst meat hands down. I like it once a year on Thanksgiving but the most you can hope for is not dry. I don't mind experimenting with the turkey because in my book the dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and possibly the cranberry sauce are all more important components of Thanksgiving than the turkey.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Dude that's just beautiful. Well done. I do that recipe a coupe times a year, it's awesome.

I like goose a lot. So much better than turkey. Go to your farmer's market and get a fresh one, it makes a lot of difference. Fresh is so much tastier.
Thanks man.

It is crazy how easy it is as long as you follow the directions.

• 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree with the turkey haters on the white meat. Even when it's physically juicy, there is a astringent quality to it that still feels dry.
Now, the dark meat, and the organs; those are 8000 times more tasty and I would love to get a bird made of nothing but dark meat.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's for a specific brand - You'll want to search tri-ply like this. If you wait long enough you can get a good set of tri-ply for under 200

https://www.macys.com/shop/featured/tri~~ply/Special_offers/Special Offer
When I first moved to Colorado I grabbed the Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 13 piece, would buy again. Feel a lot like the All Clad but price is about half.

Just so happens that exact set is on pretty good sale right now at Macy's.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...searchPass=allMultiMatchWithSpelling&slotId=3

$275 + 2 free gifts. That's a damn good deal I think!

For Stainless Steel, do you have to season it just like cast iron?