Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Despite the occasional flooding, basements are fucking awesome. Just don't have a lot of sheet rock and carpet down there and it's all good.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Right, but I thought basements were of higher risk in Florida. Not just from flooding, but unstable ground and high humidity.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Right, but I thought basements were of higher risk in Florida. Not just from flooding, but unstable ground and high humidity.
There is no risk here; it's a guarantee. It would be a mud pit 100%. I wish we could have basements down here.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm a kitchen minimalist, but I think this is one of the things worth having.

I use it for the standard stuff like crushing spices, salt, and garlic (better and faster than when I use the knife). But I swear it makes better guacamole than any other way I've tried, it has a creamier texture and better mouth feel, plus it is faster and easier than other ways. I use it for whole stoned olives, crushing them loosely instead of chopping or into a paste for other things.

Keep in mind though that I tend to do things the labor intensive "proper" way rather than the good enough way. I spend most evenings in the kitchen just screwing around and prepping stuff simply because I enjoy it and it is my hobby. I even crush my own salt (from a giant bag of cheap sea salt) and sift it into different sizes for different uses. There is something wrong with me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lanx Lanx

hit a brotha with some tasty ways to make Green Beans. I normally just stir fry them up with Gochujang or Szechuan chili oil, soy sauce and the like but god damn are they tasty that way.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx

hit a brotha with some tasty ways to make Green Beans. I normally just stir fry them up with Gochujang or Szechuan chili oil, soy sauce and the like but god damn are they tasty that way.
are you interested in sichuan dry fried green beans? it's actually
34e8058a36158d2c1f5d2f9d9083a870.jpg

it's actually deep fried and most ppl think of it as hit or miss. (cuz it's cooked faster this way)

you could just roast/grill the green beans give em a nice grill like char for 10mins. (this is the home version)

then take em out, then brown a few oz of ground pork, mix in some garlic, chili oil and ya cai this is like sichuan mustard powered, a tbs is good.

this'll be your flavor base, then dump the cooked green beans back in and you'll create your sauce.
1 tps shaoxing wine
2 tps soy sauce
1 tps seseme oil

cook for a min to incorporate flavors and gtg

they'll come out less greasy looking and not as "heavy" (to mean it feels like drenched in oil if i eat it in restaurants), you might be unfamiliar w/ the ya cai and you might not have the shaoxing wine on hand, this makes it really chinesey and sichuan.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
are you interested in sichuan dry fried green beans? it's actually
34e8058a36158d2c1f5d2f9d9083a870.jpg

it's actually deep fried and most ppl think of it as hit or miss. (cuz it's cooked faster this way)

you could just roast/grill the green beans give em a nice grill like char for 10mins. (this is the home version)

then take em out, then brown a few oz of ground pork, mix in some garlic, chili oil and ya cai this is like sichuan mustard powered, a tbs is good.

this'll be your flavor base, then dump the cooked green beans back in and you'll create your sauce.
1 tps shaoxing wine
2 tps soy sauce
1 tps seseme oil

cook for a min to incorporate flavors and gtg

they'll come out less greasy looking and not as "heavy" (to mean it feels like drenched in oil if i eat it in restaurants), you might be unfamiliar w/ the ya cai and you might not have the shaoxing wine on hand, this makes it really chinesey and sichuan.

So this is kind of what I make already I guess. Just take out ya cai and chili oil and replace it with a small amount of ground meat and gochujang.

If any of you are not familiar with gochujang. Its korean chili paste ans basically one of the greatest things ever. The great benefit of korean food is how universal stuff like gochujang is. It isn't even hard to find anymore in the USA you can buy it at walmart.

1549159583654.png

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
So this is kind of what I make already I guess. Just take out ya cai and chili oil and replace it with a small amount of ground meat and gochujang.

If any of you are not familiar with gochujang. Its korean chili paste ans basically one of the greatest things ever. The great benefit of korean food is how universal stuff like gochujang is. It isn't even hard to find anymore in the USA you can buy it at walmart.

View attachment 192539
taste should be vastly different, but prep should be the same.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Going to a superbowl party tomorrow. Shrug. I didn't even know who was in it for sure because I don't follow the NFL at all. Someone asked me to bring the same ribs I brought last time they hosted, which was, I think, five years ago. So, Gordon Ramsay sticky ribs it is.

They're really good.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
taste should be vastly different, but prep should be the same.

Hunted down that Sumyacai... it is really delicious. I am going to try it out in a bunch of stuff. TY sir.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Alright, I'm dead tired of paying the food-ateria at work for crappy food when I can bring in better stuff. Any suggestions on decent meals that I can make ahead of time reheat easily? Preferably something I could make on Sunday and then eat on Friday (at the latest)?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I make a lot of Indian food for that. Put it in tupperware with some rice and you can have a week's worth of meals. Also any kind of stir fry.